Excessive Oil Consumption - 2004 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 135k miles in January and learned that it had a bad head gasket. Replaced both head gaskets, and machine shop said the heads/valves tested poor for sealing and recommended a valve job, and milling the heads flat. Despite compression being about 200 PSI on all cylinders (+/- less than 5%) even with the bad head gasket (the bad head gasket would slowly eat coolant, causing an overheat condition if you didn't keep it topped up), I gave them the go-ahead, and provided all new valve stem seals. They said the guides were good.

Since I already had the heads off, I pulled the block and resealed everything top to bottom. Where there was a manufacturer seal available, it got a new seal, and I resealed everything that had Hondabond (RTV). I also changed all possible maintenance items, belts, hoses, etc, $700 worth of new parts, so essentially the only thing I left alone was the mechanicals in the bottom end (pistons, rings, bearings, etc.)

The van runs good, and nothing leaks (haven't observed anything visible on the engine, or drops underneath the car), but what is concerning is that the engine is consuming much more oil than before. We've taken it on two long road trips since all this work: the first was a cross-country trip from Colorado to New Hampshire (5,000 miles round trip). I used Valvoline Racing Synthetic 10w-30, only because I had six quarts of it lying around and nothing to use it in, and I figured the high ZDDP would be a good break-in type oil for the top end. That trip I used about 1.5 quarts of oil, and I changed it when I got back.

I have always used 5w-20 as recommended in the owners manual (except for the OCI mentioned above) for fuel economy reasons, so I switched back to 5w-20 for the second OCI and this time used Castrol Magnatec semi-synthetic 5w-20. That trip we went from Colorado Springs to eastern Idaho and Yellowstone National Park. It was about 2k round trip (we've put 3k on since the last oil change). I had to add a quart of oil mid-way through the trip, and it's already low on the dipstick ready for another quart any day now. So that'll be 2 quarts in 3k, which is somewhat alarming; the engine is in good shape mechanically (as far as I know), and with new seals on the upper end and no leaks, that only leaves rings as a possible culprit (to my knowledge) unless the machine shop screwed up somehow in installing the valve seals.

Am I worrying too much over this? This is not the VCM-equipped Honda motor that is known for consuming oil-- those began in 2005. I know new engines have a break-in period where excessive consumption can be considered normal, but I always thought that was due to rings seating, and had nothing to do with the upper end. Is it possible there's something still "breaking in" with the upper end work, where oil consumption will return to normal, or is that wishful thinking? Would it be wise to try a higher viscosity oil for the next OCI? Perhaps Mobil1 0w-30 or something similar?

To put it into perspective, I have three other vehicles and none consume anywhere near the amount of oil as this one now does. My '96 Nissan Maxima has 212k miles, and it's also 3k into it's last oil change, and the level on the dipstick hasn't moved an inch, and I'm even using full-synthetic Castrol Syntec in that one.

What gives? Is there anything I can do to try and narrow down the cause? Or should I simply continue driving it and see if it gets better? Is there anything I could have done while installing the cylinder head that could cause oil consumption? Any info, suggestions, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

I would do a compression test, wet and dry, to determine if the rings are properly sealing. Valve seals are fairly simple to install so I would tend to believe any reputable machine shop would have no trouble properly installing valve seals.

If your having high consumption issues...quit using synthetic....it's going right out the tailpipe. It looks like your constantly switching brands. Buy a conventional oil and stick with the same brand.

1 quart per 1000 miles is within manufacturer specs. worry about more important things in life.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider Castrol Magnatec to be a synthetic; it's not marketed as a full synthetic oil and replaced Castrol semi-synthetic in their product lineup. I bought it because it was cheap, cheaper than many conventional oils when I found it on sale.

Again, I only used the Valvoline Synthetic because I've had it for a long time and needed to get rid of it. My driving habits and oil change intervals do not require a synthetic by any means, so the main criteria I use in buying oil is bang for the buck, and I see nothing wrong with the Castrol Magnatec in that regard.

The idea that switching brands can somehow increase oil consumption is new to me. Can you elaborate?

It's got a few miles on it, and who know how many times it was overheated and run hot before you got it - not surprised it uses some oil. I'd run the cheapest conventional I could find on sale and keep it topped off. I wouldn't invest any more into this van, it sounds like a real money pit.

Break it in more....run something like PYB....keep it simple.

Thinking it just needs a bit more break in time.....

Just keep topping it up. No harm done in using a couple quarts per OCI in and old van that has had a rough life.

If it sounds good and runs good I wouldn't sweat it. Just keep a couple quarts of on sale top off oil in the trunk.

I don't know how the Honda V-6 are , but my 99' Civic EX I purchased used with 165k miles on it a few years ago had recently had the cyl head rebuilt due to overheating. The engine always consumed oil . It never stopped. Finally it gave out at a little over 200k it would not idle due to low compression on 2 of the 4 cylinders. And I opted to replace it vs repair it.
I think you may be running into the same issue - IMHO.
New top end with an old bottom end = oil consumption.

This is probably stupid, but it did get a new OEM PCV valve while you were in there?

If so, I'd do the wet/dry compression test

Or just switch to Conventional, and check for a difference in consumption.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Bump it up to a 40wt and drive it

That's what I say as long as you keep an eye on it keep driving it
the thing is 11 years old now. I'd put a little money into it as possibly while keeping it safe. I would buy a new PCV valve that always is a potential cause of oil burning and could be a cheap fix.

Last edited:
If you had pulled the block, why would you not do the rings? I'm confused, maybe I read it wrong.

Had a 96 D16Y7 with 165k that burned oil, after a complete head job and new piston rings, it completely stopped burning oil.

I have actually experimented with cleaning everything up, doing a complete head
Job, and cleaning & re-using old rings, engine burned more oil then before, installed new rings, oil burning was gone, I did this twice in a row, only to do it all over again

My 2 questions of curiosity are:

1) Does the Odyssey burn/loose oil when driven for a normal(3k-5k) OCI when NOT traveling long distance? i.e., city/rural...or ONLY on long hiwy travel?

2) Does the Maxima(or your other vehicles) use oil during long highway travel? (2k-3k 'round trip)?

The reason I ask is that, most of my vehicles will need topoff oil(a qt here & there) on loooong trips/ family vacations!(3k-5k). Where as, during a normal 3-5k OCI in town will typically use absolutely NONE!

And, this[often] happens with well maintained engines from HonYotaSsanZda that we've owned! Not saying that you don't have a small oil burning issue but, it just does't seem severe to me for loooong hiwy travel!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have heard of situations where someone replaces valve seals and oil consumption goes up. The improved sealing at the valves causes more oil to be pulled up past marginal rings.You mentioned "break-in", you replaced nothing that requires a break in. You basically have two options with your 12 year old vehicle, maintain it, add oil as necessary ( $3.50/ quart) or rebuild the lower half of the engine. You would practically have to do most of your work all over again. Cost, $1000-1500 maybe more. You likely wouldn't recover your costs. In short, I would leave it alone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
This is probably stupid, but it did get a new OEM PCV valve while you were in there?

+1, absolutely. Try the Honda OEM part for this. The PCV system on these cars leaves a lot to be desired as far as reliability goes. Check the tube that connects to the valve and the valve grommet as well.

I have a 2003 Ody. It has used less than 1qt/5000mi since I bought it at 90k. I've run all kinds of conv/blend/syn, always 5w-20. It uses slightly less, perhaps .5qt/5000mi with the Maxlife. Good luck and watch the trans!

I'd switch to Maxlife blend and give that a try. Bump up to 5W-30 and then go to 40 if you have to. +1 on checking the PCV.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have heard of situations where someone replaces valve seals and oil consumption goes up. The improved sealing at the valves causes more oil to be pulled up past marginal rings.You mentioned "break-in", you replaced nothing that requires a break in.

I had a similar experience with a valve job on a Ford 289 V8. It became an oil burner. It used a bit before but was much worse afterwards. It seemed as though sealing the top end made the bottom end much worse.

I agree with the general sentiment. Your reported oil consumption isn't that bad. Put a 5W-30 or 10W-30 conventional oil in it, keep it topped up, and drive.

Did you ever take the van on a road trip before replacing the head gaskets? If so, how was oil consumption? As another poster asked- can you tell a difference between miles accumulated in town vs. miles on the highway?

I've done many cylinder head jobs and have never had any complaints of increased oil consumption- even on my own vehicles, where I can directly monitor and track it. That said, it's not THAT big of a deal. Run oil found on special and enjoy your otherwise great van.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have heard of situations where someone replaces valve seals and oil consumption goes up. The improved sealing at the valves causes more oil to be pulled up past marginal rings.
This.

As I mentioned before since I have been doing engine rebuilding, I have done A LOT of experimentation to understand things, used the same rings cleaned up with a complete head job and the engine burned a lot more oil then before, enough to have serious smoke during idling, where before it wasn't really prevalent, drove it 50 miles, lost a quart, put in new rings, and didn't loose any more oil. I have done this twice to see if the results would be similar, and logically it makes sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back