Sparkling clean under oil cap--what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the heck of it, I twisted off the oil cap to my Civic. Now it did have an oil change earlier this week (not sure if that makes a difference), but I was stunned at how clean everything was. If you had shown me this in someone else's car I would have sworn that this was a new engine.

I can provide pics if needed, but does that mean anything about a lack of sludge, or does it mean anything at all?

While it is not a 100% representation on how the rest of the engine looks, a clean top end, even as seen through the oil fill hole, should be a good indicator on how well/poorly the engine was maintained.
The odds are in your favor if you see a clean engine, the rest of it is also in very good shape. Same goes if you see sludge through the fill hole.

It means it is clean in the areas you can see through the fill hole.

Have we run out of topics on BITOG where now non-issues are being posted for discussion?

I checked the pressure in my tires this weekend and all were within 1 PSI of the door placard. What does it mean, is that OK? I checked my oil and it was within the cross-hatched area on the dipstick, what does it mean? I checked my coolant and it was between the "full" and "add" mark when hot. What does that mean?

And I don't think we need pics.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
While it is not a 100% representation on how the rest of the engine looks, a clean top end, even as seen through the oil fill hole, should be a good indicator on how well/poorly the engine was maintained.
The odds are in your favor if you see a clean engine, the rest of it is also in very good shape. Same goes if you see sludge through the fill hole.

OK. I wouldn't imagine that that quick peek would give me a 100% accurate portrayal of the overall engine health. But I suppose I can take it to mean that the oil change regimen I have been following is certainly not hurting the car in any way.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

+1 keep up the good work.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Have we run out of topics on BITOG where now non-issues are being posted for discussion?

Just another day at BITOG, not a big deal...

If the top is spotless it's a 99.9% the remainder is as well, sludge generally builds in the valve cover area first...

Originally Posted By: paulri
Just for the heck of it, I twisted off the oil cap to my Civic. Now it did have an oil change earlier this week (not sure if that makes a difference), but I was stunned at how clean everything was. If you had shown me this in someone else's car I would have sworn that this was a new engine.

I can provide pics if needed, but does that mean anything about a lack of sludge, or does it mean anything at all?

It does not mean much. Do you have a endoscope? (video inspection camera)?

Originally Posted By: Donald

It does not mean much. Do you have a endoscope? (video inspection camera)?

No camera like that.

I checked the pressure in my tires this weekend and all were within 1 PSI of the door placard. What does it mean, is that OK? I checked my oil and it was within the cross-hatched area on the dipstick, what does it mean? I checked my coolant and it was between the "full" and "add" mark when hot. What does that mean?

The question is pertinent and got some very good answers, apart from yours. Even though the fill hole is clean, isn't garantee of a spotless cranckcase or sump.

Try doubling your OCI and see what happens. If things get black and sludgy then you can get more discussions on doing an engine flush
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hsd
Try doubling your OCI and see what happens. If things get black and sludgy then you can get more discussions on doing an engine flush
smile.gif

Or, I can keep my OCI where it is, and keep things from getting black and sludgy.
cool.gif

...and answers of little relevance keep threads of little significance alive...unbelievable...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

...and answers of little relevance keep threads of little significance alive...unbelievable...

Yes they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back