Looking at the kia optima sxl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at the kia optima turbo in the SXL trim, does anyone have one? any suggestions?

Not an Optima or even a KIA, but the engine in my Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T is identical, with a different tune. One word, *Fabulous*

Not sure what trim level it is but around here they are advertising a loaded 2015 Optima with an msrp of $36k for $26k.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Not an Optima or even a KIA, but the engine in my Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T is identical, with a different tune. One word, *Fabulous*

The hyundai 2.0T is detuned for some reason the kia optima turbo is making 274HP and 269 LB Ft of torque.

So you like the 2.0T? What are some of the highlights of the engine, how does boost come in? laggy?

The pre-2015 Sonata 2.0T have the same power output as the the current Optima you're considering. I preface my opinion by saying I've owned plenty forced induction vehicles in my day, so i may not be as sensitive to turbo idiosyncrasies as those coming from only an NA background. Overall, the 2.0T has initial tip-in lag but gets on the boost seamlessly at around 2k rpm. The engine has a much more pleasing engine note than my 2.4L and comes across much more refind than any other turbo'd vehicle I've had. In the SFS 2.0T, my wife avg 19 mpg but she drives 95% city and in heavy traffic Mon-Fri. So far (30,000 miles or so), not a single issue or complaint.

My girlfriends EX has been flawless in the last 3 years. Kia just sent her a coupon for free wiper blades and cabin filter installed at the dealer, just as a thanks for purchasing the vehicle and giving Kia a shot. My next vehicle is going to be a Kia optima turbo.

Anyone else have any experience with new model Kias reliability etc...

Thanks guys

Originally Posted By: dblshock
pretty low...

http://tradeinqualityindex.com/

Going by that index it looks like if you're buying anything modern, 2010 or newer, you will be fine. Heck my mom has a 2009 Optima that has over 150k on it with nothing but tires, brake pads, and oil changes. No problems with it what so ever. That index pulls some old data. I get that it is showing vehicles over 180k. The biggest sample size model is the Sedona with 1808 vehicles and it scored average. Some of the models listed and rated under KIA aren't even offered anymore. Probably for a good reason. They list a Sephia and it hasn't been made since 2003. KIA has changed quite a bit and for the better since then. I just think that there is a big distinction between KIA pre-2009 and post-2010. Like everything on here, look closely at all the data before forming an opinion or making a decision.

I will say this as well...my sample size is only 3 Hyundai/KIA..so basically nothing.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigBuck
pretty low...

http://tradeinqualityindex.com/

Not sure what that bootleg site is. Says nothing about how they come to any sort of decision.

JD Power has Kia rated at #2 in initial quality. I would not hesistate a second to purchase another Korean vehicle. JD Power initial ranking

Thanks for the your personal experiences, I know about the JD Power awards, I dont know where that bogus website came from but from what people are saying and my personal test drive this car is great. I love turbocharging engineering. I know that there are a lot of competitors in the mid size sedan class but there's something about this car.

here is a video a think you guys might find interesting and its about Peter Schreyer a very famous car designer that once worked for audi and vw and now is Kia's Chief designer. this video is a few years old but it shows how kia is the next up and coming car company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHsAs5UDRU

all that turbo heat adds up over time...better leave the turbo for race track cars.

If they have been proven on the race track, I think my mom isn't going to push the engine that hard lol

probably worse in traffic, shopping mall parking, ect. If there is no horrific penalty the big guys would all offer them.

stick with a 2.4L, even then expect the DI to choke up the cylinder head. In short, buy a toyota and dont be a cheapskate.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
stick with a 2.4L, even then expect the DI to choke up the cylinder head. In short, buy a toyota and dont be a cheapskate.

First of all I'm not a cheapskate, why don't you do your research the Kia sxl is not a cheap car! The direct injection has been proven in diesel engines and now they have perfected it for gasoline internal combustion engines do your research! Instead of bashing me do your research.
Why don't you read the previous posts? Why would I want a toyota everyone and there brother has one. Yes they are reliable but so bland.

You came to an internet forum soliciting opinions, enjoy mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back