Which winter tire for snow and slick, packed snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get some dedicated winter tires for my wife's Malibu. Around here, it's fresh fallen snow (she leaves before the plows oftentimes) and the really slick packed snow at intersections, with the occasional spot of ice (intersections).

Have been eyeing the Firestone Winterforce, but after reading a different thread, I guess I didn't realize that some tires performed better on snow only vs. packed snow/ice...

What say the people that have ran these tires?

I've never used Firestone winter tires. Had Firestone's all seasons on my 97 civic and i didn't like them.

I like bridgestone blizzaks for winter tires. Check tirerack.com for feedback and reviews.

I've never used those, but my girlfriend used to have a 1999 Grand Am 2.4 (same chassis as the Malibu) and she used Cooper Weathermaster Snow tires on hers and she always raved about how much better they were than regular tires on the vehicle. Night and day difference. I used them a few times, too, and they were excellent even in bitter cold, snow and ice. What size wheel does your wife's Malibu have? Ours had the 15" alloys, for what it's worth.

I used to live in Vermont and had Blizzaks, Nokians, and Yokohamas. Currently have some Toyo snows on a vehicle.

Hands down, the best snow tires I've used were the Yokohamas. Will not buy another brand again. Worked on EVERYTHING - fresh snow (also had to leave before the plows - up to 12" some times and they never failed), ice, plowed/packed. This was prior generation but I hear the current one is just as good.

Have another commuter car with Yokohama Avid touring tires. Great all season tires. Love this brand; they deliver a lot for money - very good value.

Last edited:
Winterforces SUCK! An outdated tire that was never very good to begin with. If you want something that's inexpensive go with the General Altimax Arctic, they are a very good tire for the price.

I've never had a snow tire I hated. Arctic Claw, Hankook I-pike, Altimax Arctic. The Hankooks came with an $800 Volvo RWD wagon, yeee-haw! With its locking diff it was a hoot and a holler!

sno67623_zps5d528eea.jpg

for packed snow/ice

you want a max traction type winter tire or studded winter tires.

Don't get a studable type and run it without studs.

Top tires I'd consider.

Blizzack ws-80, Michelin xice xi3, Nokian hakka R2 or hakka 7-8

General altimax arctic studded.

There are others I left off like the new continental replacement for their extreme winter contact... that are good as well.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Rand, how well do studs hold up to highway and gravel driving?

Just fine they will wear with the tire.

I personally don't like the noise so I'd suggest a studless design.

If you wait until labor day there should be a major sale then.

tire rack usually has a lot of reviews on the various snow tires..good place to start looking for into

I was happy with the Winterforce tires I had on my Mystique a while back. I think they were studded...

I bought Pirelli Winter Carver on sale this year though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Rand, how well do studs hold up to highway and gravel driving?

Just fine they will wear with the tire.

I personally don't like the noise so I'd suggest a studless design.

If you wait until labor day there should be a major sale then.

If you drive gently, studs will last fine..any quick or aggressive acceleration will break out the studs per my experience. I went from studded tires to non studded Hakka R2's and im happy with them. If lots of ice id say studded does make a big difference. Just packed snow id go with a top rated non studded tire. I wouldnt bother with the firestones.

I had the Winterforce and they were good in soft snow but not so good on ice or hard pack. hardpack and ice really want to use soft rubber with lots of sipes in the tread. These are not as good in the fluufy stuff but they are all better than all season tires in the winter.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 (studded) or Hakkapellita R2 (studless). After winters in my old RWD Volvo, I won't bother with anything else.

Studs drive me nuts. The whole car floats in rotaries and it takes a lot more steering input on on-ramps.

If I had freezing rain every single day I might go for them. Every region has its own brand of winter.

The one nice thing about studs is they break snowpack and icepack up a little bit for the guy behind you. If everyone ran them the roads would clear faster.

I only have experience with the Michelin X-ice XI3 tires, but they are amazing on ice and packed snow on my Focus. They are great driving in deep snow, but they loose a little grip starting from a dead stop in deep snow. If I turn the traction control off and let them spin just a little from a dead stop they seem to be able to clear snow from the tread and grab better. They are still better off the line in deep snow than any all season tire I have used even with the traction control on.
Stopping distance has been amazing in all conditions.

I would lean toward in ice rated tire if the car will see packed snow and icy intersections most often. If it will be in fresh deep snow more often I would look at more of a snow tire with aggressive tread.
I have also heard studs greatly reduce stopping distance on dry roads.

Last edited:
I ran Hankook Icepts on my Scion. Helped quite a bit in all winter conditions versus the Yokohama and Falken all seasons I had on my Scion before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back