Shoplifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed when lowly paid employees risk themselves for their employers who typically are well compensated. Especially at retail level where generally moral is not the highest and help is considered expendable/replaceable.

Many of these stores that employ loss prevention would be completely wiped out and have to close if they didn't have a loss prevention employee to keep the ghetto criminal element in check. Criminals are smart and adapt. If they get away with it once, than twice, than they start to realize that the store probably doesn't have a loss prevention presence. Than the boosters (professional, full time thieves) come in and steal thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of inventory to sell at flea markets or on eBay.

Margins in most retail stores is pretty low at only a few percentage points. Add in thousands of dollars of theft on a weekly or daily basis and the store will no longer be profitable.

Will they just have you walk around and act like youre shopping?

I hate shopping so pretending to shop for even 4 hrs would be difficult for me. Lol.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I did that job in high school before I became a cop. It was the funnest job I ever had. Pretty exciting at times. Can be scary. People will attack or fight to get away sometimes, so be prepared for that. The "training program" is a joke and barely minimal. Policy, procedures, report writing and handcuffing is about all you will learn.

Honestly, report writing is abysmal is loss prevention circles. If you can write a decent report you will automatically be promotion to mgmt material within two years. Most of the reports that your avg loss prevention associate write are barely 6th grade level. It's quite embarrassing for the industry actually.

The second part of this statement is dead-on.

If you are articulate and can read and write well, you won't stay on the floor for long.

We live in a 'document it obsessively' society; and those who can do the tedious writing element of it are the ones who move up.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Many of these stores that employ loss prevention would be completely wiped out and have to close if they didn't have a loss prevention employee to keep the ghetto criminal element in check. Criminals are smart and adapt. If they get away with it once, than twice, than they start to realize that the store probably doesn't have a loss prevention presence. Than the boosters (professional, full time thieves) come in and steal thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of inventory to sell at flea markets or on eBay.

Very true, and yes, if they let them get away with it easily the professionals move in, shoplifting is BIG business for organized crime gangs.

Unfortunately our US civil law enforcement is increasingly becoming UNable to deal with the arrogant and belligerent theft activity, I say there needs to be new laws which allow businesses to use the castle doctrine to protect their properties as well. The Koreans in the US have it right. Grab your semi automatic rifle and be seen especially during riots.

Last edited:
I was offered the part-time job today, and I will begin the orientation process next week. I was told that I will be trained on operating the CCTV system to monitor the sales floor for suspect persons. Then I will be trained on floor surveillance, that's the walking around looking like a regular customer part of the job. Then trained on making the apprehension at the door. I will start off catching shoplifters, then later on I will be trained for internal theft investigations. I'm excited.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
I was offered the part-time job today, and I will begin the orientation process next week. I was told that I will be trained on operating the CCTV system to monitor the sales floor for suspect persons. Then I will be trained on floor surveillance, that's the walking around looking like a regular customer part of the job. Then trained on making the apprehension at the door. I will start off catching shoplifters, then later on I will be trained for internal theft investigations. I'm excited.

Good luck, we need more folks like you, if it weren't for you we'd be paying much more for what we buy today.

Good luck!

It will keep you busy, that is for sure!

Can't wait to be out of retail- I can love the customer service part of it, but people are getting crazy.....

Well, after just a short few moths of doing loss prevention, and actually being really good at it, I am putting in my resignation notice this weekend.

It's just to crazy! I think between all the theft going on, and seeing how rude customers can be to the sales and stock employees, I am getting sick of retail and loosing faith in humanity.

Perhaps I picked the wrong time of the year to work in retail, but man-o-man there are to many disgusting customers. I walk around in plain clothes observing it all, and I worry that I will go-off on the next A hole that I see bullying an employee around. Perhaps its the demographics; a lot of gang bangers and their gang banger looking parents.

I think I have seen just about everything. Grandparents stealing with their grandchildren in their arms. Mom and daughter teams are common. A dad being the lookout while his daughter loaded up on cosmetic jewelry. Boyfriends pocketing items while their girlfriends turn their head for a second to look at something, the GF had no idea BF did it. People walking in and just grabbing large items and trying to walk out. People picking up an item off the shelf and walking right over to the cashier and asking to do return for store credit. DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS. We catch a lot of people under the influence of all kinds of narcotics, and being in possession of heroin, crack, weed... We catch people that have shopping bags of stolen merchandise that they just stole from other nearby retailers. Shoplifters that want to get physical and turn a simple petty theft into assault charges...uhhhhh enough is enough.

Anyways, I also just moved 35 miles away, and commuting for a two day a week job doesn't make sense, but I love the LP team I work with so I will stick it out a couple more weeks.

Though I am hooked on the adrenaline rush of stopping a shoplifter at the exit door, I don't think I will look for another part-time job in retail, not even near my new home.

3for3, well at least you tried the job out. I assume if a shoplifter became physically aggressive then you let them go? Call me a chicken but I wouldn't want to risk my well being stopping some guy from walking out with a few DVD's.

3for3....well you learned something about or society and culture. Take that with you wherever you end up in life. It is one constant...and only getting worse.
You can even see the slant some on this board have expressed, about almost making excuses for theft and that because a retailer has a huge volume of sales....that somehow it's ok to steal from them. Pretty sad.

I've tried to be positive about people. But as I've gotten older...I realize that if given a chance, most folks will be dishonest (or worse). It's a tough lesson to get into your head because we are always being told that people are basically good in nature.

I don't see it that way and always hold back my trust of them unless otherwise noted.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
It's a tough lesson to get into your head because we are always being told that people are basically good in nature.

"There is none who does good, no, not one"

Thanks for sharing your experience and how it affected you.

take care.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
Well, after just a short few moths of doing loss prevention, and actually being really good at it, I am putting in my resignation notice this weekend.

It's just to crazy! I think between all the theft going on, and seeing how rude customers can be to the sales and stock employees, I am getting sick of retail and loosing faith in humanity.

Perhaps I picked the wrong time of the year to work in retail, but man-o-man there are to many disgusting customers. I walk around in plain clothes observing it all, and I worry that I will go-off on the next A hole that I see bullying an employee around. Perhaps its the demographics; a lot of gang bangers and their gang banger looking parents.

I think I have seen just about everything. Grandparents stealing with their grandchildren in their arms. Mom and daughter teams are common. A dad being the lookout while his daughter loaded up on cosmetic jewelry. Boyfriends pocketing items while their girlfriends turn their head for a second to look at something, the GF had no idea BF did it. People walking in and just grabbing large items and trying to walk out. People picking up an item off the shelf and walking right over to the cashier and asking to do return for store credit. DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS. We catch a lot of people under the influence of all kinds of narcotics, and being in possession of heroin, crack, weed... We catch people that have shopping bags of stolen merchandise that they just stole from other nearby retailers. Shoplifters that want to get physical and turn a simple petty theft into assault charges...uhhhhh enough is enough.

Anyways, I also just moved 35 miles away, and commuting for a two day a week job doesn't make sense, but I love the LP team I work with so I will stick it out a couple more weeks.

Though I am hooked on the adrenaline rush of stopping a shoplifter at the exit door, I don't think I will look for another part-time job in retail, not even near my new home.

You can blame all of this on our sissified PC society. Everyone has become so afraid of offending others that people in positions like yours can't even do their jobs. Even when people are clearly in the wrong, most of time nothing is done about it because people have become deathly afraid of being branded as a racist. It has gotten so bad that these thugs will stand up to authority figures when they've done something illegal because they know if they make enough of a stink about it, they'll just be let go. Give store security the authority to use deadly force if necessary to deal with these cancers of society and this garbage would stop...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
3for3....well you learned something about or society and culture. Take that with you wherever you end up in life. It is one constant...and only getting worse.
You can even see the slant some on this board have expressed, about almost making excuses for theft and that because a retailer has a huge volume of sales....that somehow it's ok to steal from them. Pretty sad.

I've tried to be positive about people. But as I've gotten older...I realize that if given a chance, most folks will be dishonest (or worse). It's a tough lesson to get into your head because we are always being told that people are basically good in nature.

I don't see it that way and always hold back my trust of them unless otherwise noted.

You're absolutely right, and society is getting worse by the day, and it's all because of this "melting pot" mentality...you can't have people from all different cultures living in the same country and expect everyone to get along...especially when these people refuse to assimilate...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi

You can blame all of this on our sissified PC society. Everyone has become so afraid of offending others that people in positions like yours can't even do their jobs. Even when people are clearly in the wrong, most of time nothing is done about it because people have become deathly afraid of being branded as a racist. It has gotten so bad that these thugs will stand up to authority figures when they've done something illegal because they know if they make enough of a stink about it, they'll just be let go. Give store security the authority to use deadly force if necessary to deal with these cancers of society and this garbage would stop...

Well put!

I have already mentioned that in less than a decade or two you will see armed guards (I mean with open carry semi automatic machine guns) posted inside stores many times. The best thing would be to extend the castle law to businesses so that stealing the property would be a shoot to kill possibility. The brazen aggressive attitude of these thieves has become so bad that it will take some dead thieves to wake them up to the reality that stealing will no longer be tolerated.

Someone here thinks that lethal force is justified for a store security guard to stop a shoplifter? That is disturbing. Do you now how many shoplifters a large big box retail store gets per day? Isn't a persons life worth more than a bag of stolen goods? I don't think Walmart will even press charges if the stolen items are less than $25 bucks. Is it worth it for the security guard to go to court multiply times to get a small time thief convicted?

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: grampi

Well put!

I have already mentioned that in less than a decade or two you will see armed guards (I mean with open carry semi automatic machine guns) posted inside stores many times. The best thing would be to extend the castle law to businesses so that stealing the property would be a shoot to kill possibility. The brazen aggressive attitude of these thieves has become so bad that it will take some dead thieves to wake them up to the reality that stealing will no longer be tolerated.

VERY well put!! I don't understand the limp wristed attitude of society (The normal part of civilized society that works and is productive,not the trash that thinks they're entitled to everything for free and constantly has a chip on their shoulder. If they don't like it,they're perfectly free to leave and go home where they think they'll have it better but they won't,there's no free stuff!). If someone is offended because they're called out and the truth hurts,provide them with a free box of tissues (they'd just steal it anyway).

As I mentioned in the Walmart theft thread,when I worked retail we'd constantly observe hood rat welfare trash stuffing merchandise inside their baby strollers with their mistake of a kid IN THE STROLLER! They'd bury it under the kid and walk out. LP or store manager would approach them,they'd yell F-YOU!! at them and arrogantly waltz on out of the store and get into their Escalade or Navigator (that we paid for) and drive away. Disgusting.

The other day I posted about a guy at Walmart stealing a TV and jumped into waiting car.

Nothing surprises me, especially when thugs steal a shopping cart full of alcohol and roll it out the front door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back