How can I stop Win 10 DL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I got THIS pop up - how do I stop this from DL'ing this? I will get Win10 someday, but I want to decide when I want to DL it..

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
So today I got THIS pop up - how do I stop this from DL'ing this? I will get Win10 someday, but I want to decide when I want to DL it..

Just don't install after it is done.

You go into Add/remove, click "show updates" and uninstall KB3035583 "Windows 10 downloader"

then run update again, then it shows the update, click on hide update, do not install and vola!

Last edited:
Thing is it does NOTHING when I click on "show download progress"
So I am not sure when / if it is really downloading at all.

Vern in IL: If I do what you suggested, will I still be able to update to W10 when i WANT? (will my reserved status remain unchanged?)

I'm assuming this means that you clicked on the pervasive update button when it first showed up at the bottom and to the right of your task bar, and followed the prompts to reserve your copy of Windows 10n.

Strangely, I did this, but never saw an indication that it was downloading. I eventually downloaded when I felt like it, and am now using Windows 10. I wanted to test it out on my older laptop before updating my PC and wife's laptop from Windows 7 and 8.1, respectively.

So far, day-to-day, it's exactly the same for me as Windows 7. There are nuances and differences that I'll eventually learn in great detail, but day-to-day there was not a single thing I had to figure out in order to keep using my laptop as I always have.

I really like windows 10. I've had it since release day and I like it better than Windows 8. Has some features and interface niceties that are better than Windows 7. It doesn't take much getting used to. I pretty much had it working, configured and figured out in less than an hour. I don't really understand why people are so afraid of it. All the privacy intrusion stuff can be turned off easily, and the upgrade was a breeze.

I recommend upgrading. But to answer your question, just don't install it. You have a year to upgrade. It's not a must. If you don't want it, don't install it.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You go into Add/remove, click "show updates" and uninstall KB3035583 "Windows 10 downloader"

then run update again, then it shows the update, click on hide update, do not install and vola!

You the man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back