Do you want my old filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some of you love to cut open old filters.
I will soon be changing my oil and filter.
It's a Fram Ultra and will have about 14K on it.
If it's not against post office rules I will send it to someone to cut open.
I will pay shipping but you have to post pictures.
Any takers?

It's not against post office regulations, so when they ask if there's anything hazardous, liquid, etc., just say "no". Trying to explain an oil sample or residual oil just causes confusion.

Just a suggestion if someone takes you up on your offer. Take some toothpicks, qtips or nails and open a couple/few of the inlet holes/adbv with them and let it drain before shipping. Will get rid of most of the oil left in the can and reduce shipping weight.

Puncturing a hole in dome will help with that too but not essential.

I'm a Hazmat technician so please bag it well because if it leaks the post office will have to report it as a suspicious package and call the fire dept. It's not fun.

Be sure to ship it in a box marked "This end up" & ship it base end up (in addition to double bagging it & draining the oil out of it first, the couple of toothpicks or even small screwdrivers poked through the ADBV overnight [base down]will do it).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'll do it. PM me and I'll send you my address.

You were first I sent a PM.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
I'm a Hazmat technician so please bag it well because if it leaks the post office will have to report it as a suspicious package and call the fire dept. It's not fun.

I can vouch for that. Several years ago, I purchased about two dozen bottles of S.L.O.B. oil treatment from a private seller. (Street Legal Oil Booster. Remember that stuff?) To anybody here who actually does remember the stuff, it came in a hot pink bottle that would deteriorate after a couple of years. The shipper of the stuff didn't package it too well and a bottle or two leaked. The post office actually held shipment on the SLOBs for a couple of weeks while they opened my package, checked it to make sure it wasn't a drug or hazard shipment, double wrapped each bottle with plastic bags, and then overdid it with the bubble wrap. After that, they put a bunch of warnings on the box. I also got a verbal warning from my postmaster. Hey, I didn't ship it, but I was at their mercy.

Originally Posted By: robo339
Haha I took that 2 day class too ^^^

I wish. mine was 114 hours over 14 straight days. Most of it in level level A suits outside in the heat. Hope to never have a class like that again.

I did mine in college and they knocked it out in two class days and a half day outside mostly doing nothing except baking in those hot pocket suits

Originally Posted By: tratman2000

^^This^^ I put 17 years in the USPS. If you tell the clerk that there is no Hazmat materials in your package & it leaks. They not only will not put it in the mail stream, you may get an unpleasant visit from a Postal Inspector, or OIG agent.

Originally Posted By: marine65

Thanks; replied back.

I am current on HAZWOPER...fortunately, that's just a 40 hour class with one day in the space suit...

Originally Posted By: marine65

Thanks; replied back.

I am current on HAZWOPER...fortunately, that's just a 40 hour class with one day in the space suit...

here are the specs
2006 sentra 147K miles
14K or so on the filter
Castrol syn with titanium changed twice.

Due to no fault of marine65's, and being that I'm a complete slacker, I haven't posted his pictures until now. They are below. I couldn't believe this filter has close to 15k miles on it. Typical excellent Fram Ultra construction. All parts looked new (when cleaned up) and the valve was very pliable.

IMG_20150622_154515859.jpg

IMG_20150622_154937106.jpg

IMG_20150622_155739526.jpg

IMG_20150622_155721644.jpg

Looks great ... the engine must be pretty clean and using full synthetic (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back