Castrol Edge Extended Performance (Gold Bottle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that BP would know which of their oils is best suited for longer OCI's.
Having said that, I would still use Mobil 1 EP for extended OCI's over this Castrol product...

Check the UOA section, although it starts with a lower TBN, it might have significantly better TBN retention than the Castrol black bottle.

PQIA ran a test of 0w20 and it had TBN of 11.63. I highly doubt the voa done on here by Blackstone was quite right. In fact others though the same thing because the Blackstone test didn't jive with the known PQIA test.
I bet the 5w30 is far more similar to the PQIA results like the 0w20.

Good point Merkava
smile.gif

Yeah car51 I think every now and then Blackstone has a false result that is a head scratcher. This is one of those times.

As I mentioned in timeau's voa, Blackstone is using ASTM 4739. PQIA and engine oil blenders use ASTM 2896. That makes a difference. If you send in a sample and ask them to use the same method as PQIA, the TBN will look much more impressive. Blackstone switched sometime last year as I recall.

My experience with Castrol's HDEO's showed super TBN retention, too.

You're welcome! However, it still isn't a great looking TBN (for extended oci's). I'm not going to say that it's on par with Mobil 1 EP or PUP.

I just know from experience that starting TBN can fool you.

Yeah, people here whine about MaxLife starting TBN and say how it holds on and it's not a "extended drain oil" which is B.S. If you ask me. It has NEVER let me down. Wonder what these same people think of MaxLife full syn?

Well done dustyroads
smile.gif

Very good to learn new information. I wonder if or whenever the PQIA will test Mobil one EP??

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I just know from experience that starting TBN can fool you.

I suspect it would fare well, but we all know how long extended drain experiments can take, particularly if one doesn't have a fleet, or no longer does.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Castrol is so boring. How 'bout something more exotic and hard to get like Kendall full synthetic ?
Kendall is not a long drain oil and it was "fairly" boring in my Explorer and is too hard to get in my neck of the woods.

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, people here whine about MaxLife starting TBN and say how it holds on and it's not a "extended drain oil" which is B.S. If you ask me. It has NEVER let me down. Wonder what these same people think of MaxLife full syn?
Maxlife has been ran for 15K+?

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, Bbhero some days I scratch my head reading some Blackstone UOA and VOA's

Me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back