Touring car races and teams - non exotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could anyone point me to some websites and or vidoes around the world of touring car races and teams that involve just everyday cars that have NOT been super modified like NASCAR or DTM? I mean cars that are raced using their own chassis and engines, but modified slightly.

I'm interested in something like the Pirelli World Challenge Cups' TC/TCA/TCB classes, NOT the ultra luxury, exotic car GT classes. I drive an everyday car VW GLI and would like to see those as well as VW GTI's, Honda's, Nissan's, Miata's, etc. in action on the track driven and modified professionally. And no, I'm not interested in track day videos.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregoron
Could anyone point me to some websites and or vidoes around the world of touring car races and teams that involve just everyday cars that have NOT been super modified like NASCAR or DTM? I mean cars that are raced using their own chassis and engines, but modified slightly.

I'm interested in something like the Pirelli World Challenge Cups' TC/TCA/TCB classes, NOT the ultra luxury, exotic car GT classes. I drive an everyday car VW GLI and would like to see those as well as VW GTI's, Honda's, Nissan's, Miata's, etc. in action on the track driven and modified professionally. And no, I'm not interested in track day videos.

Thanks.
You describe much of the SCCA.

You might want to look up Saloon Car racing, to see what's happening in Europe and Australia.

The British Touring Car Championship is closer to being "modified street cars" than the German Touring Car championship. But the level of professionalism and car mods may still be higher than you're thinking of. You're already watching World Challenge, which is probably the most interesting stock car racing series on road courses that you can find.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Try this first. Maybe already zet up in Hawaii.
https://www.nasaproracing.com/

Unfortunately, we don't have a race track in Hawaii. We're still petitioning for one.

My guess is that environmental impact studies in Hawaii would take forever to complete. Don't they do autocrossing there?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Try this first. Maybe already zet up in Hawaii.
https://www.nasaproracing.com/

Unfortunately, we don't have a race track in Hawaii. We're still petitioning for one.

My guess is that environmental impact studies in Hawaii would take forever to complete. Don't they do autocrossing there?

Apparently they do! Thanks for pointing that out. The SCCA hosts autocrosses here at Aloha Stadium (home of the Pro Bowl) parking lot. I'll have to check that out.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
BTCC 1994... the cars at least looked stock, but put out about double the standard horsepower and had massive brakes.

Weren't they pulling over 300 HP at the wheels from NA 4 pots??

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I believe the 1994 season winner had about 290 bhp, but it didn't have the most horsepower of all contestants.

I'm not sure if the power mentioned was at the wheels or flywheel. the 2.0 TS 155 had 143 bhp in stock form, not bad from a 8v engine.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkdf4d_btcc-1994-season-review-part-1_sport

Yes, I remember following that series from my Autosport magazine subscription (mainly to get some sort of WRC coverage) back then, as there was NO TV coverage at all for us here in the states.

I liked the (Mountune prepped engine) Mondeos (our Contour over here), but I forgot just how many different manufacturers were involved in that series!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
As far as being on TV, check out the CBS Sports Network, they show a lot of the touring car racing.

Right! They show BTCC (British Touring Car Championship) races which are some of the most phenomenal races I've ever seen. Plus the stewards have a very good grasp of "racing incidents" and don't get involved for every little thing like F1, for example.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
As far as being on TV, check out the CBS Sports Network, they show a lot of the touring car racing.

Right! They show BTCC (British Touring Car Championship) races which are some of the most phenomenal races I've ever seen. Plus the stewards have a very good grasp of "racing incidents" and don't get involved for every little thing like F1, for example.

My DVR is set to record any airing of "Auto Racing" which is a blessing and a curse.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

My DVR is set to record any airing of "Auto Racing" which is a blessing and a curse.

Mine, too. I agree.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I liked the (Mountune prepped engine) Mondeos (our Contour over here), but I forgot just how many different manufacturers were involved in that series!
thumbsup2.gif

I love how the cars, and even the iside footage (dashboards) looked exactly like the car you could buy, besides the wheels and big exhausts.

And apparently all the doors still operated

CNE1xGDWIAAmmW3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back