Gas tank leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a shutoff cock there is a leak around the threads...No place for a gasket...What sealent will work?....Teflon tape?...Will it stand up to gasoline? Charlie

Originally Posted By: ceast
At a shutoff cock there is a leak around the threads...No place for a gasket...What sealent will work?....Teflon tape?...Will it stand up to gasoline? Charlie

There are pipe "Dopes" that are intended for gasoline and diesel. You should be able to get some at a good parts store.

I have not had much luck sealing these fluids with tape. In my experience, gas and especially diesel is the perfect leak finder.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

There are pipe "Dopes" that are intended for gasoline and diesel. You should be able to get some at a good parts store.

I have not had much luck sealing these fluids with tape. In my experience, gas and especially diesel is the perfect leak finder.

My experience was not a leak in a line, but a leak in a tank itself. Any other liquid except for gasoline and I would have had it sealed up nicely.

Gasoline eats its way through things, like rubber.

Gasoline is the one exception that those things WON'T work on, since all it did was turn any patch into a yellow mashed-potato like substance, and, while it maybe held for about 30 minutes at a time.. between the pressures and heat of gasoline, it failed. Every time.

As to fittings, I have no experience.

If it's OPE engine fuel tank petcock you are dealing with, consider taking it off (unscrew it) and check to see if it has an o-ring or something like that.

Once the tank and petcock mating (screw threads) are both dry, you can try using some Permatex #2 non-hardening sealant on the treads.

We have been using P#2 for years in restoration of valve to fount threads to keep it from fuel and air pressure leakage during rebuilds. Never an issue so far.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back