Magnum pump and belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 07 Magnum with the 3.5 v6 has 110k miles. Dodge recommends changing the timing belt at 100k. Most say to replace the water pump at the same time. This is more than I care to do in the driveway, so it is going to be $500-600. Do I really need to do this, wait until the water pump fails, or is Dodge being overly cautious?

The water pump is driven by the timing belt. If the pump fails and leaks, the timing belt will be compromised. Replace it.

You definitely need to get it changed, and make sure they do the water pump too. Go around and get prices from lots of local shops.

Definitely change the water pump while you're in there. I have an '05 300 with the same engine. The first time I did the change at 102,000 mi I did the pump and the belt and it took me about 10 hours because I took my time to make sure everything was correct. The new pump started to fail by leaking at the shaft at 120,000 so I replaced it with a warranty replacement which took about 4 hours and now at 144,000 the replacement pump is starting to leak. DO NOT GET A GMB PUMP FOR YOUR CAR! I contacted GMB and told me about my terrible experience with this pump and they didn't care at all. For the belt you can probably do pretty much any brand and be okay but do yourself a favor and get the Mopar pump when you do this job!

Here's my amazon review I left for the GMB pump: http://www.amazon.com/GMB-120-7170-Repla...yRankDescending

Last edited:
110,000 miles is a long distance for a timing belt. Low end pulleys won't always make it that distance. They sell a Renault here that will break its timing belt at around 45,000 to 50,000 miles if you don't change it at the recommended 40,000 mi. I've heard of Ferraris that break their belts somewhere around 35,000 mi. if not changed at the recommended 30,000 mi.

Your engine is listed as an interference engine. That means that if the belt fails it will bend valves. If the pump is driven by the timing belt, when [not if] it fails, if it happens to seize, it will take out the belt, which will then bend the valves. $$$

I would recommend an Aisin timing kit, but it looks like they don't make one for your engine. Continental does, but it doesn't include a water pump, you need to buy it separately. Continental would probably be my second choice.

Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
My 07 Magnum with the 3.5 v6 has 110k miles. Dodge recommends changing the timing belt at 100k. Most say to replace the water pump at the same time. This is more than I care to do in the driveway, so it is going to be $500-600. Do I really need to do this, wait until the water pump fails, or is Dodge being overly cautious?

The Gen II 3.5 like you have is an interference engine- if the belt breaks (or the water pump seizes and rips the belt) you'll quite likely have valves through pistons. Granted, the 3.5 rarely fails a timing belt compared to some other engines, even if you stretch it a bit past the recommended interval. But I wouldn't, the stakes are too high. Plus, a timing belt is actually a whole lot easier on a Magnum than it is on pretty much any front-drive with a timing belt.

Replace the water pump.
2 cars in my family had a water pump fail halfway into the life of the timing belt.

Then, vent your anger at the guy who decided to build your car with a timing belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back