Under Valve Cover Pics - 2000 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Today I replaced the valve cover gasket on my 2000 Camry that I just bought. It has almost 195k miles and I logged into the Toyota Owners website and found all the dealer service records. It was maintained at the dealer for a long time, oil changes every 3-4,000 miles. This is one of Toyota's "Sludger" engines, the second one I have had, neither are even close to having a bit of sludge.

Written in there is some numbers, hand written, (3,4,5 etc.) so is this engine rebuilt or maybe had the head off or some engine work? Or are those number there from the factory?

I didn't change the oil yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow with Chevron Supreme HM 5w30 from my stash and a Fram Ultra.

Sorry for the bad pictures, it was very bright outside and they were the best I could get.

sneb1y.jpg

11930i0.jpg

4hprap.jpg

6sqcug.jpg

2r5yozp.jpg

wmlcop.jpg

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Were the numbers marking where each lifter was?
Not sure, you can see in the 3rd picture the number "4" and the 5th picture what looks like "58".

My Montero has similar markings. I don't believe it was ever rebuilt but not 100% sure. I don't know what they are for though.

Those pictures aren't very encouraging. For oil changes supposedly done every 3-4 thousand miles, that's alotta varnish. Makes me wanna go out and change my oil right now.
shocked2.gif

The engine has made it almost 200k already and varnish doesn't seem to have caused an issue yet, right?

The 5sfe is not a "sludger" engine, do some research beyond a simple service campaign from toyota.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those pictures aren't very encouraging. For oil changes supposedly done every 3-4 thousand miles, that's alotta varnish. Makes me wanna go out and change my oil right now.
shocked2.gif

Where?

Change your oil and you won't get sludge, this engine is no different than any other engine, my intuition was right about the 5sfe,it was included in toyota's service campaign beca use that whole generation was given the same oci recommendation when the 3.0v6 was the potential problem, I'm really surprised you didn't figure that out after owning a prior 5sfe and now another 5sfe that's a "sludge " monster yet after 200,000 looks cleaner than many other engines would..

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Change your oil and you won't get sludge, this engine is no different than any other engine, my intuition was right about the 5sfe,it was included in toyota's service campaign beca use that whole generation was given the same oci recommendation when the 3.0v6 was the potential problem, I'm really surprised you didn't figure that out after owning a prior 5sfe and now another 5sfe that's a "sludge " monster yet after 200,000 looks cleaner than many other engines would..

I'd change that up a bit to change your oil at sensible intervals and you won't get sludge. Varnish OTOH is another story. I posted pictures of a well maintained 2000 Century that was given to me, and even with 3K OCI's [dino oil] it was loaded with varnish after only about 80K miles. Engine design and how the vehicle is used has a lot to do with how clean it stays.

That varnish is no big deal. That car is going to die of some issue other than any problem that varnish will cause/ or harm it will do.

You wipe that oil off and that varnish will feel sticky sticky sticky. Just like if you if
you poured pancake syrup all over the engine and let it sit for a couple of days.

shocked2.gif

The pics look great, and a little varnish is normal and does no harm

You wipe that oil off and that varnish will feel sticky sticky sticky. Just like if you if
you poured pancake syrup all over the engine and let it sit for a couple of days.

That engine looks no different than other 4 cylinder Camrys from that era, and went well beyond 300k.

What is your point?

shocked2.gif

Lol, it's actually pretty clean. My last Camry had no sludge but a little more varnish.

I've challenged you before Merk, let's see some under the valve cover pics from your Buick!

That's complete, utter and total mindless babble. There is nothing wrong with the engine in those pictures.

Sure the varnish doesn't look nice but the motor has plenty of life left. If he wants he can do a couple of runs of PU and it may clean some of that out

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Sure the varnish doesn't look nice but the motor has plenty of life left. If he wants he can do a couple of runs of PU and it may clean some of that out
I'll be changing the oil today with Chevron Supreme HM, but after that it'll be getting the good old Pennzoil Ultra, I sill have 3 oil changes worth in my stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back