The 1970's: what do you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of lines from a song describe the '70's perfectly for me...

In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society.

Jimmy Carter
shocked2.gif

'70s ?

You can bash them !!!

1970/71, Grandad picking me up in his IH truck on the way home from the vegetable market on a Wednesday, taking me to their place, and I "worked" in their fruit and vegetable shop until Sat/Sun when my parents came to get me...that was special, and something to remember forever.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: 02SE
What do I remember? The total lack of respect towards our military.

I still despise "Hanoi Jane".

The war was a mistake. We really had no plan to win the war. 65,000 GIs died. Another 65,000 have committed suicide since the war ended.

So because the war was a mistake that gave folks the right to spit at me! OOOOOOOOOOookay.

BTW, we "the U.S." was fulfilling treaties that were signed to protect countries in So. East Asia. The Military won every battle, Nixon gave it away.

That war was never meant to be won. Only maintained.
The longer it lasts the more money gets spent and made.

It's funny. I saw a documentary where the film maker said Americas future wars even if won there will be no territory gained. The whole purpose is to keep the military industrial complex running at full steam,which to me is exactly what's going on.
Jade helm is the military training on home soil,and their guns pointed inwards.
The fema camps are already filling up with the sweeping up of the homeless. It's said they can come and go as they please ONLY if they get the chip implanted for their "health care".

I remember being born. Mid 70s. Then as a young kid at my aunt and uncles farm. Riding the tractor.

Ahhhh high school and coming of age. Yes I went to war in '74 and it was an experience? I drove a '69 Chevy Z-28 I bought that needed brakes for a $1,000 when in high school. Also college was part of the '70s for me. Sometimes I can remember like it was yesterday...........

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Grandad picking me up in his IH truck on the way home from the vegetable market

1973 I had an IH AS110, doing 4mpg, it was pretty thirsty for an 18 year old apprentice to keep running and had to supplement it's fuel by stopping in a likely suburb on my way home from nightschool and walking around with a 4 gallon tin and a hose looking for something suitable. I had a '38 Chev Coupe at the same time, and made the decision to stick to the Inter. Tough truck.

The Seventies? A lot of it's best forgotten. As the old jape has it, if you can remember the Seventies, you weren't there. . . .

I finished high school in '71 and started college that fall. Not a lot of fun; it seemed just like the high school experience except much bigger classes and a much longer commute by bus.

Met Wife No. 1 at my first Star Trek convention. (Met Wife No. 2 at a much later convention, but that was the Eighties.) Managed to miss the little party in Vietnam. Worked in radio as an announcer, got married, got drunk more often than was good for me, stopped (the first time) in '79. My first car was a metallic green Ford Maverick, a '75 4-door with the larger I-6 engine, and working on it taught me a lot about cars. Started running for my health and weight control. I remember .55/gal. gas, .50 Quaker State oil (an oil change on the Maverick in '77 cost me about $5-$6!). I wrote uncountable numbers of words, most not very good, on a manual standard Underwood typewriter.

And yes, it was easier to find a new job back then. You applied at "Personnel" instead of "Workforce Management." If they liked you, you filled out some minor paperwork and you started. None of these 100 giant hoops you have to jump through today to hire somebody, or to get hired.

Working hot, dirty, jobs that someone had to do, and infallible scientists breathlessly predicting the imminent arrival of the next ice age.

Kendall 10w30 cans, in 24-qt cases for 59 cents a quart on sale.

Learning to change oil on a 60's Chevy with a canister style oild filter.

JC Whitney catalogs.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
And yes, it was easier to find a new job back then.

I applied for a job in 1974, got cleaned up and borrowed a car so i didn't have to ride my Triumph in. The woman in personnel wrung the workshop and said ''There is some guy here applying for the mechanics job, but he looks more like a pest exterminator to me.'' They called me the Ratcatcher there after that.

The '70's - i had 6 jobs, but worked for one guy 4 times, so that's 10 jobbs.

Inflation-Buster specials. Pull tabs. Gasahol. Dune buggies. Big block Ford cars. Pickups and vans with custom fabricated (and un-plated) aux gas tanks. Gasoline fueled medium duty trucks. Wide World of Sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

The war was a mistake. We really had no plan to win the war. 65,000 GIs died. Another 65,000 have committed suicide since the war ended.

So because the war was a mistake that gave folks the right to spit at me! OOOOOOOOOOookay.

BTW, we "the U.S." was fulfilling treaties that were signed to protect countries in So. East Asia. The Military won every battle, Nixon gave it away.

That war was never meant to be won. Only maintained.
The longer it lasts the more money gets spent and made.

It's funny. I saw a documentary where the film maker said Americas future wars even if won there will be no territory gained. The whole purpose is to keep the military industrial complex running at full steam,which to me is exactly what's going on.
Jade helm is the military training on home soil,and their guns pointed inwards.
The fema camps are already filling up with the sweeping up of the homeless. It's said they can come and go as they please ONLY if they get the chip implanted for their "health care".

I remember being born. Mid 70s. Then as a young kid at my aunt and uncles farm. Riding the tractor.

Trying not to be political here but remember, USD was gold based before the Nixxon shock, and I truly believe that it is the war along with US going from net export to net import on oil that causes this to happen. There is a similarity with the 2nd Golf / Afghan war, except money is "printed" via prolong low interest rate which leads to risky investment and caused the 08 collapse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back