Ramps or jack stands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

I hope this is not in the wrong section, but since most people here change their own oil I think it to be relative to this section.

I just purchased a set of RhinoGear Rhino Ramp MAX ramps. I have a set of jackstands but just for some reason I don't feel that safe(It is probably in my head).

The ramps are rated for 16K lbs which is FAR more than my truck weighs.

I got them at Advance Auto for $45 + tax. I have used ramps in the past and have never liked driving up on them so I just jack the car up and place the ramps under the wheel then back the vehicle off of the ramps.

Just wanted to know what everyone else uses.

If the ramps are on a proper flat surface and aligned correctly with the wheels chocked, there should be no problem. I would not use the plastic ramps on uneven ground or loose gravel, concrete/pavement would be optimal.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Use the ramps to get the car up, then put jack stands under the jack points.

I don't care how strong the ramps are - you cannot rely on just them.

Yep. I've done many oil changes and other undercar processes using ramps; I always leave stands at a proper place simultaneously.

I like my Rhino Ramps, but I'm always driving up and down them 2 or 3 times until I get the tires centered on the ramps. I never can seem to get the tires perfectly centered the first time. Either that or I'll have one tire perfectly centered but the other tire won't be.

I use just ramps for my Rav4's transfer case. I think there is enough room under should the ramps collapse for me to wiggle out unscathed. Just don't see how a hunk of plastic ramp is less safe than a hunk of metal jack stand.

Don't need any extra clearance for my other cars to change oil filters.

I prefer ramps for anything that doesn't require taking the wheels off. I only use the jack stands when the wheels need to come off, or for when the engine needs to stay cold like when replacing oxygen sensors.

I have both buy just use ramps for oil/atf servicing.

I've found that a good way to get the ramps centered well is to position the vehicle a couple feet from where you want it to be, then get out and push the ramps into place, wedging them under the front tire. Then you just drive straight up and you should be darn near centered, plus you know that the two ramps are perfectly lined up.

Race Ramps are my choice for oil changes and other under vehicle maintenance.

They are pricey but have a low approach angle for sporty vehicles. They are also wider to increase your confidence when you drive up them.

Makes it easy.

Ive got jack stands rated for 3 tons which is way heavier than my vehicle. I wanted some race ramps but im not sure if they will give me enough clearance, if i do find some higher ones, i will still use jackstands if they will fit, because im paranoid

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I've found that a good way to get the ramps centered well is to position the vehicle a couple feet from where you want it to be, then get out and push the ramps into place, wedging them under the front tire. Then you just drive straight up ....

I do that plus I use a tape measure to check the distance between the ramps to make sure I have them parallel. Might be okay to do it by eye, but better to be sure.

I have the Rhino and they're OK on my rougher concrete driveway, but will slide on my smoother garage floor. I've always prefered quality jack stands and floor jacks.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I have both buy just use ramps for oil/atf servicing.

I've found that a good way to get the ramps centered well is to position the vehicle a couple feet from where you want it to be, then get out and push the ramps into place, wedging them under the front tire. Then you just drive straight up and you should be darn near centered, plus you know that the two ramps are perfectly lined up.

+1

If you feel unsafe just put jackstands under. I dont bother as i dont go too far under the car.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I like my Rhino Ramps, but I'm always driving up and down them 2 or 3 times until I get the tires centered on the ramps. I never can seem to get the tires perfectly centered the first time. Either that or I'll have one tire perfectly centered but the other tire won't be.

I've always just placed them right in front of the car and eyed them straight. Wouldn't say it's been perfect 100% of the time but it's been better then going up them blindly.

For changing oil I made 2x8 drive up solid wood ramps. Three screwed together with top piece 16" long, then middle 20", and bottom 24" long. Solid, cheap, won't slide. Get car/truck high enough for me. Anything else, floor jack and 5 ton floor jacks.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
For changing oil I made 2x8 drive up solid wood ramps. Three screwed together with top piece 16" long, then middle 20", and bottom 24" long. Solid, cheap, won't slide. Get car/truck high enough for me. Anything else, floor jack and 5 ton floor jacks.

I've seen pics of ramps made like that and they look good, the only thing is storage and are they heavy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back