Techron or Gumout Multi System Tune-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you like more? I prefer Techron but they may be similar. Aren't they both PEA based?

Of the two, Techron Fuel System treatment. If using a Gumout product, either Gumout All in One or Regane High Mileage fuel system treatment would be my choice. All have PEA.

Haven't quite figured the specific use for Gumout Multi System. Seems more like a SeaFoam type product. But admittedly I may be wrong about that.

Techron, nothing against Gumout. They make good reputable products but I've recently used a product of theirs and afterwords (the same tank) my vehicle started acting up.

This has been the second time it's happened to me and while I know it wasn't their product that caused it just its 2 for 2.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Haven't quite figured the specific use for Gumout Multi System. Seems more like a SeaFoam type product. But admittedly I may be wrong about that.

Gumout Mult-System has PEA in it. (Not the legume type, just someone must have peeed in it at the factory I guess, similar to Mexican beer rumors.) https://gumout.com/multi-system-tune-up/ says it does.

Seafoam specifically says they DON'T use any additives, so its likely a decent solvent anyway at the least.

Techron would be hard to beat, but Gumout Mult-System with PEA is likely very good too......
Of course, those companies don't want you to know the percent PEA in each. That'd be nice to know.

Originally Posted By: AntDeek
So Techron to Gumout All in one or MSTU is apples to oranges?

No, they both are targeted at about the same task. Consensus above, myself included, is that Techron is really hard to beat, get Techron. Highly regarded.

I got better results with Gumout Multi System Tune Up than I did Techron Fuel System cleaner in my Focus.

For what it's worth, I tried several bottles of Techron and my Focus still wouldn't start on the first try and had an idle that would stumble at times, but after trying one can of Gumout, my Focus would start on the first try and the idling cleared up.

That's my .02.

I've always used Techron but I was curious how good the other ones are.

I like Techron simply because it has an army of PhD's behind it through Chevron and also it's reputation. Weak evidence at best. I have heard people rave about how good Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner works. What we need is actual independent tests, which we don't get. They don't even tell us how much PEA is in anything. Still, I do use Gumout Multi once in a while.

Try Gumout multi system tuneup if you havent. Or try CRC emissions formula, it apparently has 30% PEA last I recall. I rather buy CRC since they actually tell me how much PEA is in it. Interesting..looking at the MSDS now..it no longer shows PEA content...

without [censored] you guys off, is it safe to say its all the same sh*t lol

PEA percentage is the key, and that varies. Rolla07 has a point with CRC, at least we know how much % it has. For example, I know MolaKule has said naphthenic oils are good "solvents", which would explain why Marvel Mystery Oil has a good percentage of that, so you'd expect some cleaning action in fuel or oil there. Then the PEA products might be better still.

Well since I clearly was less knowledgeable about Gumout MSTU went to the QA answers linked below* to get some answers. So as noted MSTU has PEA so less like SeaFoam in that respect. That said, according to the QA it can be added to the crankcase like SeaFoam, guess that's where I got that impression. Something I'd personally not choose to do in a well maintained engine.

MSTU also adds a fuel stabilizer, which in my uses wouldn't be a priority.

QA also says Gumout All in One provides the most PEA, treats the most fuel.

I've used All In One, Regane High Mileage, Regane FST and Techron FST. Seat of the pants, all seem to work ok.

So, since they all contain PEA I suppose it's a matter of which one prefers and/or has the most confidence in. For me, Techron, Gumout All in One or Regane High Mileage equally.

* Gumout Q&A Answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back