Mercedes Kompressor oil and cup level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys , I have a Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor , the cup is currently Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 pure plus, the cup is not completely full , the car does not consume oil , but when I start the engine , I hear a noise like metal that lasts 3 -4 seconds ; maybe I should go to 5W40 ? also I'm leaving for a trip of 600 km with temperatures around 28-30 Celsius , you say it's better if I put the level of the cup at max ?

Originally Posted By: Giorgiz
Hi guys , I have a Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor , the cup is currently Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 pure plus, the cup is not completely full , the car does not consume oil , but when I start the engine , I hear a noise like metal that lasts 3 -4 seconds ; maybe I should go to 5W40 ? also I'm leaving for a trip of 600 km with temperatures around 28-30 Celsius , you say it's better if I put the level of the cup at max ?

The english word you are looking for is "Sump" rather than cup. The noise you hear on startup could be a number of things.....Empty oil filter, cam chain tensioner, or even piston slap. It might be worth it to try a filter change, on the off chance that it is the filter draining down.

As far as oil level.....Personally, I would fill it to the full mark, before starting the trip. But....Your trip is basically just a single tank of fuel....Not a long trip, by North American standards. So.....It would depend on how low it is......More than half way down to the add mark, I would top it off. Less than that......I might stay right there, until the next oil change is due.

I think it is the chain tensioner , the filter is loaded from the top , is not filled with oil , the sump is 3/4 full . How do I eliminate noise at chain tensioner ? Thicker oil? the car has 182000 km

What type of noise is it?
Is it a rattle or a tap?
What oil was in the engine when it when it sounded fine at start up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back