Inkjet vs Laser for the seldom print job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really not happy with my current HP Inkjet All-in one as it requires you replace the color cartridges to use the black only ink.

I rarely run out of ink not due to usage but more it seems that with age they stop working. I print very occasionally. So infrequent that we use library when out of ink for a few months and it has little effect.

I am writing to inquire does a inexpensive LaserJet printer do okay just sitting for a few years with limited usage? Or does it also have problems from the once per week at best print jobs? The max I print is maybe 10 pages.

I don't know how modern laser printers are, but some time in the mid/late '90s I got a free B&W laser printer. With sporadic usage (sometimes going months without being used) it worked fine for 10+ years. I think I had to replace the toner once, or maybe not at all, I really can't remember.

Randomly after all those years it started printing things out "streaky". I tried various things to fix it, but none of them worked. I eventually just bought a new all-in-one printer so I could get rid of the printer, scanner, and fax machine that were all taking up space by my computer.

I don't know if my experience would still stand with modern laser printers, but up until it started printing streaky my laser printer gave me no problems and never seemed to care if it went unused for months on end.

I had an Inkjet Printer and experienced all the problems that come with owning one.
Mainly, spending a lot of money on Ink.

Laser is the way to go.
The 'ink' is actually a black powder.
* Can't dry up
* Inexpensive to replace powder cartridge

If I need Photos, I go to Wal-Greens.

I have a Brother , Model 2140
Owned for 5 years / 5,600 copies so far
I paid 70.00 for Laser / Saved about 500.00 not buying Ink for Inkjet.
Print quality is not perfect (but acceptable) / may need Drum replaced
But I use it as is and like alot.

When it needs replacing, I will look into another Brother, but this time an 'All In One'.
* Printer
* Copier
* Scanner

Last edited:
Add me to the ink haters.

Though I had a cheezy $60 konica-minolta laser printer. It only worked for a few hundred sheets of paper, at most, over a couple years and then had a "bad phaser" which cost more than another disposable laser printer.

I have a couple of Brother inkjets and have no problems, ever. One is at the cabin and is very seldom used and still, it's never a problem. I gave up in HP years ago.

I have a Lexmark 543 color laser printer and have had it for 6 years. I am now having to replace the imaging unit for $150. I also had to add memory along the way. You can buy toner and reset chips on the cheap. According to the counter, I got 8911 prints from this printer before my first problem. I'm sure the fuser will fail at some point. Having a side business and kids that do reports, I would have trashed several ink jets by now.
As you said, you will seldom print so a laser should last a lifetime. Select a brand where replacement parts are available down the line. I also like the fact the print can get wet and not have to worry about ink running.
Even with maintenance items, cost per page on a laser is cheaper over the long haul. I also like that you can service them. Most ink jets are disposable if something goes wrong.
If you do get an ink jet, I know people who buy the cheapest and when the ink runs out, they just buy a new printer and donate the old one. These are people who use them lightly.

Brother makes the best lasers they have good all in one units under 100$ frequently.

having the ability to copy/scan can be very nice if you need to send in rebates, or medical bills etc.

I scan all mine into a folder on the computer for proof if its rejected then a simple email gets it back on track.

aftermarket replacement toner is usually around 11-14$ as well

Although the starter cartridge should last you at least a year.

Newegg is having a flash deal at 1pm EST today
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...3937&cm_sp=

Brother DCP-L2540DW Wireless Monochrome Multifunction Laser Printer for $99.99

Thats the new model of my dcp-7065DN

It has wireless, Ethernet, USB, Duplex printing and both flatbed and autosheet feeder scanning.

My starter toner lasted me 1.5 years. The first aftermarket toner is on year 2 currently.

Last edited:
Replacement toner cartridge prices can be scary, but they can be good for 1000's of copies vs only 100's of copies with ink. Well worth the extra cost.

If you can find a HP Laser Jet 1000 at a garage sale, that's the way to go.

After the apocalypse, we're going to be driving Cherokees and using Laser Jet 1000s. Those things are absolutely indestructible. And you can get refill toner for nothing.

A couple of years ago my old Canon printer went out and I needed a new one ASAP. I wound up buying the HP Officejet 6100. The print quality is great, price was a steal, but the cost of replacement cartridges is outright theft.
crazy2.gif
The cartridges aren't all that expensive, but the printer goes though them like a kid goes through his Halloween candy. The thing has a really bad habit of going into a "cleaning/testing" mode either when I turn it on, or right after I print something. This mode is basically the printer head cycling back and forth and every couple of seconds you hear a hiss (or should that be hi$$) which is the printer basically wasting ink, and it's gone on for as long as 10 minutes. Turning the printer off does nothing as it starts the process again as soon as you turn it on. Long story short, you will go through a lot of them. If you decide to go inkjet, run fast, run far if this one is on the list.

Given that laser printers have come down in price they are the way to go unless your printing photographs and then while there are color laser printers I am not sure they are as good as photo quality ink jets.

I got a Samsung wireless B/W all in one laser printer for just over $100. Automatic duplex. Love it.

just bought an inkjet actually, I'm happy with it, but I wish I could've gotten a lazer printer because the ink issue, was just out of my budget right now.

Another vote for laser. The toner is already dry. Keep the printer top covered so it doesn't collect too much dust inside over the years. Don't run staples through it like my wife did to mine recently and you are unlikely to have any streaks. LOL

I will say that KODAK customer service is excellent when it comes to standing by their product, my mom had an ink KODAK printer and the printer head dried out, I called their customer service to order a new printer head (surprisingly the cheapest I found online). went through the process of troubleshooting on the phone, and their rep sent my mom a new printer head for free, I was very surprised because the printer was a few years old, they sent one for free anyway.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
I was very surprised because the printer was a few years old, they sent one for free anyway.

They need to keep the cash cow mooing.

They make all their money off ink.. so writing down a print head so you buy a bunch more of their ink instead of moving to a competitor is a good business decision.

just bought an inkjet actually, I'm happy with it, but I wish I could've gotten a lazer printer because the ink issue, was just out of my budget right now.

Cant afford it? Newegg had an offbrand laser printer for 24.99$ yesterday

now paying bestbuy retail for a laser.. that can be pricey unless you pricematch them to amazon/newegg etc.

Last edited:
good point on the printer head...
now what is Neweeg?
Originally Posted By: Rand
I was very surprised because the printer was a few years old, they sent one for free anyway.

They make all their money off ink.. so writing down a print head so you buy a bunch more of their ink instead of moving to a competitor is a good business decision.

now paying bestbuy retail for a laser.. that can be pricey unless you pricematch them to amazon/newegg etc.

never mind, thank you for the new site sir
good point on the printer head...
now what is Neweeg?
Originally Posted By: Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back