1999 Civic needs help...worse than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little background: 1999 Civic EX, automatic.

Was leaving the grocery store when I noticed my speedometer was bouncing between 20-40 mph, and my odometer/trip meter weren't moving. Other than that, car was driving fine. No CEL or anything. No biggie, I thought.

Read online and saw it might be the speedometer cluster or a speed sensor. Went to take a drive to hook up the OBDII and noticed that the CEL was now on and when shifting from park to reverse, it shifted hard enough that I felt it and then again from reverse to drive. Giving it some gas, it felt almost as if it was in neutral in that I could hear the engine going but wasn't moving much. Went around the block and the OBDII scanner showed "0 MPH" under SPEED.

Pulled four codes:

P1768 - Manufacturer Cntrl - Transmission
P0141 - Bank 1 Sensor 2 o2 sensor
P0135 - Bank 1 Sensor 1 o2 sensor
P1298 - Fuel Air Metering

Not sure about the two o2 sensor codes as they are fairly new. Never seen the other two codes.

Any thoughts/ideas? Darn hubris. Not only did a friend say "Wow, your car runs well for 200k" a few days ago but I posted in the post about dependable cars having 200k.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
P0141 - Bank 1 Sensor 2 o2 sensor
P0135 - Bank 1 Sensor 1 o2 sensor

This sounds suspiciously like the problem described in TSB 99-029 for this vehicle, where a section of engine wiring-harness abrades against the intake-manifold bracket, resulting in most of those DTCs.

Check the under-dash fuse box. Do you find a blown fuse? (The TSB says it's fuse number 15)

I can send you a copy of that TSB if you PM me with a valid email address .

I just pulled the fuse to inspect it and it looked good. Read online to actually use a multimeter to test it, which I'll do later tonight when I get home.

Fuse 15 read 12.1 at each test tab. Voltage at the battery was a little low at 12.3.

Reset the trouble codes to see if they'd pop back and right after clearing them, the following two came back right away:

Went to check if the transmission was still acting up and it was. Shifting out of park, it "kicks" along with giving it some throttle to pull forward, you can hear the engine working but it barely moved.

The overwhelming thing that pops up is a linear solenoid or clutch pressure solenoid.

I'm wondering if that is related to the odometer/speedometer or unrelated. Seeing as how it doesn't want to engage, I'm guessing it's getting towed to the shop.

UPDATE:

It was indeed the harness that was the culprint, at least for the shifting and codes.

The speedo/odometer is still not working but that's likely a separate problem and I found a used unit on eBay thats surprisingly within 50 miles or so of my original speedometer/odometer unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back