Clearing Up Yellow Headlights - Off Bug Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I saw a video that was floating around Facebook today where a guy used Off Deep Woods bug spray to clear up his headlights. I figured I'd give it a shot. Yes, I know the paint is terrible on my bumper lol.

According to the video, the guy said to use an old sock, obviously you can use whatever you want but I had some old socks I haven't thrown away yet so I decided to use one.

Spray the bug spray generously on the sock, then get scrubbing! It doesn't take much at all to get it off. I had probably 30-45 seconds of scrubbing on this headlight total. It's pretty greasy stuff so I got out some car wash soap and a wash mit and washed off the headlight. Still pretty greasy but I think it'll clean up eventually. I'll try cleaning it tomorrow again and will post future pictures to see what it looks like later on. The last picture is after I washed it with my soap and water and is 45 minutes after the Off bug spray was put on.

I recommend using some masking tape that's safe for your car paint and masking off around the headlight, just incase it damages paint. My paint is junk so I didn't care.

23kx1si.jpg

256tzxl.jpg

a1mn29.jpg

shgw.jpg

yep its deet it melts all kinds of stuff.

I'd recommend just using toothpaste.

no melty chemicals.

PS dont use deet if you are fishing or wearing any synthetic clothing.

Picardin works better in those situations.

Last edited:
Been using the same little bottle of Blue Magic for years on many different headlights. Works well by hand, even better with a drill mounted buffer pad.

Will be cloudy again in a few months. This is a tactic one uses right before selling a car to clear the headlights. Literally melts the plastic. Not a long term solution.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've read that Aquafresh toothpaste is one of the best to use for headlight restoration.
I tried toothpaste (not sure the brand) on headlights before and it made no difference. I guess it depends on the toothpaste and the headlight.

I just use the cheap tubs of turtle wax rubbing compound and polish and top it off with a good sealant with UV inhibitors.

Toothpaste didn't work for me but Scratch-Off works great for light hazing. Yes, the hazing will come back.

My neighbor uses wheel/metal polish and said it works great.

I tried it and sure enough, it works!!
thumbsup2.gif

I've read that Aquafresh toothpaste is one of the best to use for headlight restoration.

and leaves a minty finish haha

I have always had good luck with Meguiars M105 or M205 depending on how cloudy and a buffer on a drill. Regardless of what you use to clear them I do recommend putting a wax or sealant on them.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I just use the cheap tubs of turtle wax rubbing compound and polish and top it off with a good sealant with UV inhibitors.

I do similar. Whenever I have my rotary polisher out, I hit the headlights with compound. Then I give them a coat of sealant. You can use wax, but won't last nearly as long. The trick to keeping them from fading is keeping them clean and protected with wax or sealant.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I do similar. Whenever I have my rotary polisher out, I hit the headlights with compound. Then I give them a coat of sealant. You can use wax, but won't last nearly as long. The trick to keeping them from fading is keeping them clean and protected with wax or sealant.

I have been topping them with Duragloss TPP three times a year. Seems to be holding up well.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Been using the same little bottle of Blue Magic for years on many different headlights. Works well by hand, even better with a drill mounted buffer pad.

Blue Magic also has a separate sealer product to help keep the lights looking nice. Not bad for under $10.

I wonder if you used a good spray wax from brand new if those plastic type headlights would stay looking new?

I spray wax after every wash, and still after 2 years our 13 Corolla had a bit of haziness starting at the top corners. Polished off in seconds, then coated with a sealant. It's parked outside 24/7 and I keep a coat of sealant on it done about twice yearly and spray wax after every wash. Still had a bit starting to get faded. I should probably apply the sealant more often, but don't often have time. My wife drives that car now anyway, so it's a battle to keep it clean now haha

I wonder if you used a good spray wax from brand new if those plastic type headlights would stay looking new?

It will help if it has UV blocking ability, not all waxes do. The lights themselves have it, but it breaks down over time. You see cheap clearcoats do the same after a few years of outside exposure.

A coworker of mine with encyclopedic automotive knowledge swears that if you avoid commercial car washes you plastic headlights will remain clear for many years longer.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
A coworker of mine with encyclopedic automotive knowledge swears that if you avoid commercial car washes you plastic headlights will remain clear for many years longer.
My step mom has a 2010 Pontiac G6 that has never once gone to a commercial car wash, and the headlights turned very yellow. She wrecked the car last month so it just got new OEM headlights thanks to State Farm.

^I was kind of thinking that. I think that, maybe, the commercial car wash MIGHT wear off the original coating a little faster. I'll bet it has a lot more to do with simply how much sun exposure the front end of the car gets in a day. My car sits in a parking garage when I'm at work and in my garage when I'm home. And, I treat with Meguiar's headlight protectant when I wash it. I'll bet my lenses will last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back