98 V70 Rear-End Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an earlier thread, the LR tire exhibited some rather severe inside tire wear. The belt began to separate, then a steel cable appeared and a 10" flap of rubber.

I've since replaced this tire, along with two others, but now note a seat-in-the-pants vibration at 62mph. DT rechecked and balanced & inspected the rear tires yesterday and found nothing. I spun both by hand and watched from the rear. No wavy tread and no ellipses. The steering wheel is vibration free. Despite the rebalance, the vibration continues.

The sled's rear suspension is adj. for toe. That could be out. Wasn't a noted problem though on the last alignment.

Could also be a loose rear wheel bearing. It's not ROARING yet. But the vibration coupled with increased tire wear along with its persistence with new rubber has me suspecting something is going on re: the LR.

How are the shocks?

Yep, time to check everything back there including any stabilizer bushings, bars, shocks, and wheel bearings.

Hub bearings on this can go with relatively little noise...at first...

But I would start with a good alignment check - those rear control arms can be bent easily and really throw off the alignment.

MK & Astro:

Thanks for the replies! The shocks are new as of a year or two. The defective Michelins were pretty noisy and rough compared to the new BFG's, so this has probably been occuring for awhile, I just couldn't hear it as the SNR was too low. With that part eliminated, I'm now noticing what is underneath it.

First on my check-list is to jack up the rear, put her on stands, and see if I can detect any play or noise on each side. Then I'll crawl underneath for an inspection. My indy showed me the toe adj. points. Any bushings back there could be hard as a rock or flat worn out after 17yrs.

I'll have the alignment checked as well. I'd never seen a tire ever wear out on the inside like that Mich. It was due for a replacement, no doubt. And the pavement temp here is regularly >140°F during the Summer. I'll have to check my previous thread to remember how old it was.

I've replaced one wheel bearing so far: FR. It howled when weighted. The rear hasn't made any noise yet, just really vibrates at 62mph.

Thanks!

First step: Rotate the tires. Did the vibration move to the steering wheel? If it did, the tires and/or wheels are the problem. If it didn't, then it is something else.

Update:

Had to return a second time to DT, to explain that an out-of-round tire CAN be balanced and that this needed to be done....yet again. I think the first time, they just rinsed & repeat.

Well while I stood there the pass. rear tire (old Michelin) had NO WEIGHTS on it at all! It needed 0.5oz on the inner and 0.75oz on the outer! I asked the rep "How'd that get through? No weights?" His Hunter machine spins the tires at about 10mph. I did note some tred wobble and he said it was the wheel. It wasn't out of round, but it was about 3/32 wobble from vertical.

The new BFG on the driver rear, showed similar. Slight wobble from vertical.

My testing afterwards revealed significantly reduced vibration due making sure both rear tires were INDEED balanced. What a bunch of lug nuts....there is still a slight vibration around 62 but no where near as bad as before.

DT: Caveat Emptor!!

Weights can fly off while driving. I was sitting at a light today and saw one sitting on the ground that had fallen off of someone's car.

Update II:

Another dissapointing DT experience, before I got the manager involved.

For more than a few months, the sled has abhored all of my free time + some. TB + pulleys, A/C blower & controller, outer tie rod ends, steering rack boots, hydraulic motor mounts, PCV pipe repair, new brake pads all around, coolant + AT + PS flushes...the list just goes on & on...

The vibrating-seat syndrome still continues, so I made my way to DT this morning and waited about 1-1/2hrs. to be seen. Despite telling the rep. the past history, and wanting some (careful) investigation into the BFG's I purchased last Aug., he slickly brushes my concerns aside, writes "rear end vibes" on the sheet and directs me to a seat.

After I notice they've gotten to the sled, I wonder outside and watch a kid "rinse & repeat" just like before; i.e. pull them off, rebalance, roll to car, install.

So before he can reinstall the wheels I ask if he checked them for a wandering tread and roundness. He just looks at me blankly. So I repeat. Told him I'd been through this before, this time needs to be different. I direct him to the worksheet, walk over and ask him to remount & spin the rear tire. It obviously wobbles to my eye, so I ask him about it. (Slick dude rep obviously didn't communicate my concerns to the shop). So the kid yells for the shop manager with the dirty hands.

I tell him the history and ask him to put an eye on this tire. He's now interested and concerned. He tells the kid to pull the tire off the wheel, rotate it, use some other machine they have to better match wheel + tire, and return it to him for another spin. It's just as bad: Tread wandering, elipse rather than circle and there's a bit of a dip from outside to inside!

He correctly pronounces this tire obviously defective. So he tells the kid to separate the next two BG's, rinse & repeat, and bring them back for a spin.

One is MUCH better, the other so-so. One tire is a Michelin. He mounts & spins it and the tread is dead straight. I say I'd like for them all to look like that one.

He tells me he's going to order me three new tires and replace any/all that aren't correct.

That's more like it!

The tires were X-rotated & rebalanced. I headed for the freeway to do some testing. Rear-end vibration greatly reduced. Note steering wheel vibration at about the same speed as above (62mph). No doubt due to one of the rears being put on the front.

If I hadn't interveened, the shop kid would have "rinsed & repeated" for the third time now, my seat would have still shaken, I'd be furious at Mr. Slick's poor communication skills + wasting my time....for the 3rd time AND be no closer to solving this problem.

I seem to encounter this level of incompetence on a regular basis unfortunately. "Yea, yea...we'll take care of it. Have a seat". No they don't.

A young chick with a nose ring in a local HW store telling me things about air filters that I know to be incorrect.

Another "dude" giving me attitude when I begin to question what he's told me.

Another woman on the phone regarding a computer PS problem who has told me "my engineers have discovered no problems with this." I tell her I AM an engineer, and a EE at that, have dissected the front-end of the supply in question and am holding a 450V electrolytic cap in my hands that vented on its ckt board! Further, I point to the PS serial number & date-of-manufacturer as being problematic, according to their own website!

They must mistake ALL of their customers for idiots! No doubt plenty abound, but I'm not one of them. I have a rather critical eye for detail, numbers, facts and a very sensitive Bravo Sierra meter. It pegs on a regular basis in today's "world".

So what do the people who don't know about these things do?

Atlas has indeed Shrugged and the Big Slide is now upon us. Slouching Towards Incompetence (and Bravo Sierra).

Caveat Emptor!

Looking forward to Friday, new tires, and no more sled-shaking-posterior. I need a road trip.....

You asked, "So what do the people who don't know about these things do? "

Many throw things away prematurely. Some brag about the newness of their purchases because they feel it IS the way to go. Others know something is amiss and the display a range of expression ranging from bland detachment through episodic complaining to eruptive fury.

Remember, people go to mediocre restaurants all the time and I'll bet the reaction range is the same when presented with unfulfilled promises or bad service. Kira

Seeing a lot of that lately. Took a BFG from Sam's in to get a nail repair. Was told could not repair because it was too close to the edge, asked to have it replaced under road hazard warranty. Refused replacement because it was over 4 years old. In the mean time this 40'is woman is spouting all sorts of B&S explanations about what and why. Finally shouted at her to shut the f up, she doesn't know what she is talking about. I've bought tires at that store every since it opened up, 8 or 9 sets over 20 some years. My wife was shocked! In 49 years, she has never seen me lose it over something like that. I'm done with Sam's Club. I refuse to be treated like that.

Took the tire to a local indi, fixed it just fine.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Seeing a lot of that lately. Took a BFG from Sam's in to get a nail repair. Was told could not repair because it was too close to the edge, asked to have it replaced under road hazard warranty. Refused replacement because it was over 4 years old. In the mean time this 40'is woman is spouting all sorts of B&S explanations about what and why. Finally shouted at her to shut the f up, she doesn't know what she is talking about. I've bought tires at that store every since it opened up, 8 or 9 sets over 20 some years. My wife was shocked! In 49 years, she has never seen me lose it over something like that. I'm done with Sam's Club. I refuse to be treated like that.

Took the tire to a local indi, fixed it just fine.

That sounds like bestbuy manager refusing to pricematch a TV at sams club.. until I brought up their pricematch policy on their website explicitly saying they will pricematch any sam's within 25miles (there is 5 within 25miles)

and that was after I called ahead to verify their policy.

I wanted to use bestbuy gift cards that were on sale or I would have just told them to take a hike and bought at Sam's club.

Update III:

DT manager tried all three new replacements to pick the best. Lowest runout was 0.008" worst was 0.034" (that one didn't go back on car). BFG's spec for this series is 0.045". He used some machine with a large roller on it...didn't think they had these anymore?

Rather disconcerning to see a brand new $90 tire spun and watch it hump, wobble and the tread walk side-to-side. The sled has only rolled on Michelins to date. Not much enthusiasm nor respect for BFG after this experience: Four trips back to get all the kinks out.

This set will get regular cross-rotations to ensure even, long-lasting wear. So far, so good. No more rear vibration at 62mph. Front shakes a bit near 70, but I chalk that up to needing an alignment after installing new OTR's.

Glad to have crossed this off the sled-list...

Hello, Thoughtful production/shipment/storage/mounting/balancing/installation....all indispensable.

A guy produced a cracked, chalky tire which looked like it had been stored under silty river water for a year and said, "I can give you a good deal on these!"

I was amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back