Shoplifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed for a part-time loss prevention agent position at a department store. It will be an undercover type job where I would dress as a typical customer and catch people shoplifting.

During the interview the LP manager told me that theft is a very big problem in her store. So, after the interview I came home and researched how big of a problem shoplifting is for retailers. An article by Crime Doctor.com says that retailers in America loose over thirty three billion dollars a year to theft. I am completely floored by that amount of loss retailers have to absorb. Sickening really. I might accept the job if they offer it to me, as I would like to see how many I thieves I can catch.

Just wanted to share my eye opening experience and what I learned today.

Last edited:
I do not have loss prevention experience. I would be trained. The manager said they will train individuals with criminology degrees, law enforcement backgrounds, or military. I have at least one of those requirements.

Be prepared to discover that a very large portion of the theft is from the store employees.

These fellow workers might not leave the store with the goods, but they are often assisting friends and family to those 5 finger discounts.

Don't be discouraged, if you do the job well it helps the store keep prices low = benefits all shoppers.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Well, $33 billion out of $1.3 trillion retail sales is not too bad.

I personally know a couple who ran a small retail operation that had to close because of recurring theft losses. Maybe Walmart or Costco can absorb a certain level of loss, but smaller stores can't. In most cases small operators can't even afford to hire loss prevention officers like OP. In either case, large or small, there's never an excusable level of theft, and even small thefts are never "not too bad".

Walmart just claimed their last quarter income statement didn't meet target due to loss both theft by shoplifting and internal inventory missing.

A good friend of mine does LP. He has worked for Target,Walmart ,Kmart and now Home Depo.

He says the biggest thieves are the employees! I guess they nab something then return it for cash a week or so later

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Walmart just claimed their last quarter income statement didn't meet target due to loss both theft by shoplifting and internal inventory missing.

Could that be due to their 5 finger employee discount program?
smile.gif

Where I live there is more lifting of cars as in starting car in winter to warm up and someone stealing it. People are becoming more desperate. Crime is increasing.

At this one Neighborhood Walmart I go to that has self checkout resisters, they used to have somebody there monitoring all the transactions by looking at the monitor machine. Now when I go in there, nobody bothers looking at the monitor machine anymore.

They do all sorts of things to prevent thefts, however the cost to prevent thefts sometimes are greater than the recovered items are worth.

One of the reason why small items are typically packaged in large blister pack, and how club stores like Sam's and Costco can sell lower by eliminate small items from their inventories by bulking it up.

If you get the job my advise would not to be chasing people outside the store. Although shoplifting is a crime you really have to look into the laws about holding people against their will. Especially, if the shoplifter gets injured.

I did that job in high school before I became a cop. It was the funnest job I ever had. Pretty exciting at times. Can be scary. People will attack or fight to get away sometimes, so be prepared for that. The "training program" is a joke and barely minimal. Policy, procedures, report writing and handcuffing is about all you will learn.

Honestly, report writing is abysmal is loss prevention circles. If you can write a decent report you will automatically be promotion to mgmt material within two years. Most of the reports that your avg loss prevention associate write are barely 6th grade level. It's quite embarrassing for the industry actually.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
If you get the job my advise would not to be chasing people outside the store. Although shoplifting is a crime you really have to look into the laws about holding people against their will. Especially, if the shoplifter gets injured.
ya my friend cant chase them once outside.has to catch them after the registers but before the door

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
At this one Neighborhood Walmart I go to that has self checkout resisters, they used to have somebody there monitoring all the transactions by looking at the monitor machine. Now when I go in there, nobody bothers looking at the monitor machine anymore.

I bet the feed is hardwired to Arkansas/ China.

Beer runs are common at liquor stores. One in Buena Park next to Knott's Berry Farm was hit so often they installed a device that would transmit directly on the police frequency "beer run, , " three times. I used to hear that go off a few times a night on the weekends.

Last time I was considered for a jury a lady had shoplifted, went into her car, ran into the security guard and another car attempting to leave, official police went into pursuit, apprehended. Caught on camera several times. She was pleading "not guilty". I said I wouldn't be able to consider her not guilty.

Personally I would not do that job. too much risk of lawsuit or injury for the most likely low pay.
My daughter worked part time at a women's clothing store in a nice mall during college. There shoplifting policy was to let them go!
Much to our surprise the management did not want anyone to try and stop a shoplifter. It kind of makes sense in a way, you would rather lose a dress than have an injured or worse employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back