Rotella T5 10W30 good choice for older WH hydro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I acquired a 1979 WH tractor with a sundstand 90-1173 hydro that calls for 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil. I'm thinking of using Rotella T5 10W30 semi syn in it. Is this a good choice or what would you use? My other thought was Mobil 1 HM 10W30.

I would also like your opinions on T5 10W30 in older K series Kohlers.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
I acquired a 1979 WH tractor with a sundstand 90-1173 hydro that calls for 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil. I'm thinking of using Rotella T5 10W30 semi syn in it. Is this a good choice or what would you use? My other thought was Mobil 1 HM 10W30.

I would also like your opinions on T5 10W30 in older K series Kohlers.

Given that the Sundstrand was probably built to be run on a 10w30 or 10w40 conventional oil of that era (loaded with VM polymers), I'd say that pretty much any modern 10w30 would be better! But an HDEO might give a little more anti-wear additive for the gear train.

Also should be great for the Kohler- which K-series is it? I'm gathering parts for a JD110 restoration, just picked up a mostly complete K181S since my original block is pretty badly scored (final failure was a broken ring). Daaaang I forgot how heavy the old cast-iron block one-lungers could be!!!

All the old school iron I've had experience with, that had a Sauer/Sundstrand/Danfoss hydrostatic drive and separate differential with it's own gear oil spec'd hydraulic oil, ATF or 20wt motor oil for the hydro. I'm sure 30wts would be fine as well (especially if that's what's recommended). Worst case you'd get cavitation and noise from the drive from the 30 or 40wt variant oil you choose, and have to switch back to something lighter. No harm, no foul to the drive.

Like said, new hydrostaic transaxles spec 40 or 50wts due to the shared differential gearing in there... and lower oil holding capacity.

Last edited:
It's a K321 14hp built in '78-79 and runs like a top, no smoke, starts like a jack rabbit, runs strong. I always use VPB 15W40 in my garden tractors with modern oil pump engines, but I'm thinking of using a bit thinner oil in the K series 14hp. The older non oil pump engines seem to like a 30wt oil just a tad better than more modern engines, and it would "sling" better. At least that's my thinking?

The sundstrand's used in the Wheel Horse tractors used ATF until some time in 1978. Then at that point, late '78 and after were spec'd to use 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil.

Back when this hydro was manufactured, there were no synthetic Xw40 oils around. Do you think something like 0W40, or 5w40 would be ok for this application? I'm thinking of cheaper syns than Mobil1. For instance, Rotella T6, which I have a stash of.

Sounds like your Wheel Horse is a C-141? Any reasonable quality 10/30 will suffice for your hydro. I've been running Rotella T-5 in my John Deere 210 (K-241) for several years now with no ill effects. Yes, Kohler's newer Courage line leave's a lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back