Buy now or later???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a set of alloys to replace my steel wheels and am going to buy a new set of tires to go on the alloys. The car will be stored over the winter, from about December to April.

So my question is do I buy the new tires now or wait until after winter? I am obviously excited to put the new alloys on but don't want my new tires sitting for many months. I'm going with Michelin Defenders which have a 90,000 mile rating and I drive less than 10k miles a year so I'm concerned about the tires getting old before I wear them out.

If I buy the tires now and store them in a cool, dry place they shouldn't age very much? Right?

Thanks!

I wouldn't sweat it too much, but if I knew that I didn't have any need, I'd be waiting for Black Friday or something.

So discount tire is offering a $100 rebate for labor day plus $60 if you use their credit card. So $160 off total. Judging from past sales this is one of their better ones which is another reason to buy now.

On a side note do you think it's worth the trouble of opening a credit with them to save $60? My brother is for sure buying new tires so he could save $60 with it too.

I vote for waiting. Since your tires might age before you wear them out, there's no reason to get tires already and have them sitting for 6+ months.

I have their credit card for some months waiting to buy a set of tires for my E430. The treads are down to 2-3/32", I will buy replacement on/around Labor Day weekend, hopefully they will have good sale(rebates).

Since you don't accumulate much mileage you should get tire with no more than 60-70k miles warranty, no need for 90k miles tire. Many warranties are now include time and 6 years is the norm.

Tires are like new cars, cases of motor oil or cases of decent wine in that there's always a deal to be found.
Unless you find a real killer deal, there's really no reason to buy tires now.

I applied for their credit card last labor day. Super easy. I did it when I ordered the tires, and there was a hiccup b/c it was a new card, but their 800 number guys worked it out.

I'd get the card ahead of time and chuck it in a file cabinet.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I applied for their credit card last labor day. Super easy. I did it when I ordered the tires, and there was a hiccup b/c it was a new card, but their 800 number guys worked it out.

So if I apply for the card this week and then buy the tires labor day weekend do I need the actual card to use it? Because I would assume it takes a while to get the card in the mail.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Originally Posted By: eljefino

So if I apply for the card this week and then buy the tires labor day weekend do I need the actual card to use it? Because I would assume it takes a while to get the card in the mail.

You can apply and receive an immediate decision online - you won't need the actual card to make the purchase. I've probably received close to $1k in rebates with this card and not paid any interest (no interest when paid in 6 months).

I occasionally buy ahead to get the best deal, but only a month or three. At any moment the vehicle could be totaled by some moron, stolen, struck by lightning, etc., and then I'm stuck with a set of tires that I have to sell for a loss. The further ahead one buys, the more risk one assumes that the tires will never be used.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I occasionally buy ahead to get the best deal, but only a month or three. At any moment the vehicle could be totaled by some moron, stolen, struck by lightning, etc., and then I'm stuck with a set of tires that I have to sell for a loss. The further ahead one buys, the more risk one assumes that the tires will never be used.

+1

Bought my Defenders at Costco, the OTD price beat all the other places, even the one with a "buy 2, get 2 free" promotion. Costco's installation package is cheap, and includes road hazard and rotation and balancing. Call around to get the actual out the door price, including tax, disposal, and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back