The MOST washout resistant grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does an aluminum complex grease, say, Schaeffer's 238, compared to silicone grease in terms of of usage in a wet, corrosive environment?
I'm replacing some parts on my auto shop hoist that is very frequently exposed to water and road salt like mag chloride.
I have some discontinued Permatex brake caliper lube that is a mixture of Molybdenum disulfide in a silicone (polydimethylsiloxane) base.

Last edited:
Well, just about the most washout-resistant would be a Bentonite grease. Almost impossible to flush it out with water, and also high-temperature stability. Its got shortcomings in other respects, but I'd seriously consider it for an application like that. The Peerless transmissions most all non-hydro lawn-and-garden tractors come packed with Bentonite grease because washout resistance and the tendency to stay where you put it are important in that application.

Originally Posted By: gofastman
How does an aluminum complex grease, say, Schaeffer's 238, compared to silicone grease in terms of of usage in a wet, corrosive environment?
I'm replacing some parts on my auto shop hoist that is very frequently exposed to water and road salt like mag chloride.
I have some discontinued Permatex brake caliper lube that is a mixture of Molybdenum disulfide in a silicone (polydimethylsiloxane) base.

Why not a marine grease made to be dunked in water like boat trailer wheel bearings.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Well, just about the most washout-resistant would be a Bentonite grease. Almost impossible to flush it out with water, and also high-temperature stability. Its got shortcomings in other respects, but I'd seriously consider it for an application like that. The Peerless transmissions most all non-hydro lawn-and-garden tractors come packed with Bentonite grease because washout resistance and the tendency to stay where you put it are important in that application.

I have some stuff that says "military grease" on the label, I think that's bentonite, but I can't really find any info online about it. It's says "do not mix with other grease"

Quote:
Why not a marine grease made to be dunked in water like boat trailer wheel bearings.

Most marine grease on the market is lithium complex, which is far from the most water proof compound out there.

Last edited:

I have some stuff that says "military grease" on the label, I think that's bentonite, but I can't really find any info online about it. It's says "do not mix with other grease"

Bentonite is a clay-based grease and is generally not regarded as compatible with soap complex greases, so that may be what you have. Its definitely persistent, hard to remove, water-tolerant stuff.

I keep this around for the transaxle and exposed-to-weather applications:

http://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-OEM-TECUMSEH-PARTS-788067C/dp/B008TSZ98I

what could/would happen if a bentonite and soap complex grease would get mixed?

the copper grease I use is a bentonite grease, and I sometimes mix some silicone grease in (doesn't have a soap though) to get the viscosity down a bit, depending on the application. No issues there.

Quote:

Most marine grease on the market is lithium complex, which is far from the most water proof compound out there.

CRC marine is an aluminum complex FWIW

Back when I had my boat, I coated the spline and threads on the prop shaft with Super Lube with Teflon. It's a clear grease that has the consistency of Vaseline. The motor was a Johnson 235 H.P. V-6 on a 1,000 pound Starcraft. It was a 80 MPH boat. After running all afternoon, when I pulled it out of the water, the Super Lube was still there. I couldn't believe it. After that I use it for any and all types of wet weather protection.

^^^That (The Super Lube w/teflon) is what I use in my UMI Roto-Joints on the ends of all of my rear suspension links.
thumbsup2.gif

Perhaps I should have changed the thread to compare washout resistance and corrosion protection of Aluminum complex VS. Silicone caliper lube VS. Bentonite grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back