Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an email from an old forum that I haven't logged on in years. On line search got me this link http://www.iplocationfinder.com/185.17.144.185
Quote:

IP Location Finder
What is my IP location?
Help Blog IP address or hostname:

185.17.144.185 IP Location
185.17.144.185 looks to be located in Germany based on our research.

So far today, there have been 1,812 IP address and website location searches in addition to yours. The information on 185.17.144.185 is presented based on your search.

For more information on 185.17.144.185, you can visit the 185.17.144.185 site or IP directly.

Last edited:
Dibs on your oil stash.
wink.gif

Regardless, on a side note, an IP address maybe be registered to a country but may be deployed 12,000 miles away from the country of registration.

An example of this would be a large corporation that owns an address block and internally routes corporate traffic; They might have hundreds of gateways onto the internet depending on where its employees are located.

Last edited:
Can you connect the dots and draw more of the picture for us?

Here's the story as I see it so far:

* You got an email from an old forum you haven't log into in years.

* (missing part of the story)

* The IP address 185.17.144.185 is some how involved and is located in Germany.

That's all I know of the story. I don't even know if you're asking a question because...well, look at your original post, there's not even a question mark in it.

Didn't realize I left out part of the story. The email was a warning that someone was trying to hack my account. When I searched the IP, I found this.
Quote:
IP Location Finder
What is my IP location?
Help Blog IP address or hostname:

185.17.144.185 IP Location
185.17.144.185 looks to be located in Germany based on our research.

So far today, there have been 2,042 IP address and website location searches in addition to yours. The information on 185.17.144.185 is presented based on your search.
Someone using this service is trying to hack accounts world wide. As of today, 2042 people have used www.iplocationfinder.com to research this IP. When I tried to login to 185.17.144.185, I got this message:
Quote:

This is a Tor exit node. Content originating from this IP is untraceable and we are unable to provide information about it.

Tor exit node

I posted this because I thought It might be useful to someone.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I posted this because I thought It might be useful to someone.

As soon as the word "Tor" is involved, most information regarding IPs and locations becomes un-useful. I run a Tor node from time to time. I had one ISP years ago that gave me some grief about it but have not heard anything from my current ISP for years. Whomever the owner of 185.17.144.185 is probably spends a good portion of their day explaining that they simply run a Tor node.

I don't post on any forums that I would care if someone hacked my account, so I have to ask. Do you care if someone hacks your account there? The biggest concern would be if you use the same screen name and password at other forums. If you care about the forum account, contact the forum administrator and ask them to disable your account. Or log into the forum, and update your password to something stronger/more-secure.

Also, make sure the email address you have associated with that account has a secure password.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
This is all new to me. I had no idea what it meant, other then that someone was trying to hack an account of mine.

Tor is a pretty powerful piece of stuff, originally developed by the U.S. Naval Research Lab (https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en). It provides privacy for people all over the world who need it, at no cost. Unfortunately, that technology does not distinguish between "good guys" and "bad guys".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back