DIY Honda J35 timing belt replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I will be watching ALL of this. While I really want to do this job myself as I'm due for it, I'm terrified. One mistake and I won't save myself any money, I'll cost myself thousands.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Thanks, I will be watching ALL of this. While I really want to do this job myself as I'm due for it, I'm terrified. One mistake and I won't save myself any money, I'll cost myself thousands.

Watch the whole video first and then, watch it again!
If possible, bring the(if you have), your laptop/tablet on the job with you!

The reason that I say, watch the video first is because, later in the video, there are some tip that Kind'a pertain to the beginning of the video and you can cover all bases with this knowledge!

Good Luck!

CB

No; watch at least 4 different videos on J35 timing belt change so that you will know all of the possible gotchas before deciding if you want to do it or not.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
If you feel you have the ability I will tell you the most important thing in the whole job. That is before you cover up the cam belt rotate the crank two complete turns by hand in the proper direction of engine operation. Check the direction of rotation before you take the engine apart. That way you can check if ALL the timing marks line up.

Originally Posted By: spackard
I do like the crankshaft socket. It appears to be a Lisle 77080.
I think you still need a huge impact gun to use it.

^^ Indeed. I have done two Honda timing belts in the last few months and the crank bolt was the worst part of the entire job. Had one where we couldnt break it with a 250 ft/lb impact wrench at 90 psi. Even after securing the pulley from turning, I stood (210 lbs) on a 3-foot breaker bar, then jumped on it, and still couldnt break it loose. Finally we put a three foot pipe on the three foot breaker bar, and I hung my body weight off it, it finally, and quite reluctantly, broke loose. Then after we got it back together the (new) idler pulley was defective, so a week later we had to do it all over again! What a major pain that car was.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
No; watch at least 4 different videos on J35 timing belt change so that you will know all of the possible gotchas before deciding if you want to do it or not.

Better yet! ^^^
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: quint
^^ Indeed. I have done two Honda timing belts in the last few months and the crank bolt was the worst part of the entire job. Had one where we couldnt break it with a 250 ft/lb impact wrench at 90 psi. Even after securing the pulley from turning, I stood (210 lbs) on a 3-foot breaker bar, then jumped on it, and still couldnt break it loose. Finally we put a three foot pipe on the three foot breaker bar, and I hung my body weight off it, it finally, and quite reluctantly, broke loose. Then after we got it back together the (new) idler pulley was defective, so a week later we had to do it all over again! What a major pain that car was.

I think I'll pass. I don't have a lift nor do I have air tools. I look forward to paying $950.

Yeah, the crankshaft bolt is hardest to remove. On our MDX, I wedged the tool and ratchet on the trailing edge against the garage floor, and used a 2' extension bar to loosen it. Ours didn't come off too badly.

Other than that, it was quite an easy and enjoyable job. I do truly look forward to doing the timing belt on the Ridgeline in the spring. About $500 buys all of the genuine Honda parts and new spark plugs. It took me about 6 hours total to do all of it, working slowly and enjoying the job. Ericthecarguy's video gave me the confidence I needed.

I've watched a few of South Main's YouTube videos, and they look well done. I haven't watched this one, but probably will eventually. Thanks for the link!

50skid has one too; he is a good guy and keeps all of his mistakes in; so you also know what NOT to do!

I've done Honda 4s and 6s. The J isn't a terrible engine to learn how to do a timing belt on if you can take your time doing it. Few tips:

- As said above, watch several videos before proceeding. I like to read the FSM, Chiltons, watch some vids and read some forums before doing any job. You can come up with the best method for your own needs but it does take time.

- The crank bolt, ugh. At least if all else fails you can bump it with the starter on a Honda V6. Not for the timid though.

- Don't skip the oil/cam seals. It's very much worth replacing them while you're in there.

- Same with the water pump, idlers and tensioner. Use quality parts like Aisin, Koyo.

- Good torque wrenches are a must for this job. No guessing unless you like replacing parts.

- Removing the spark plugs makes the engine easier to turn over by hand. Watch out for the camgears, they like to move on their own. I think a tool is available to hold them in place.

The crank bolt is the worst part. Lots of people have done this in their driveway and you can too!

One would think it could destroy the starter or send your bar/socket flying. I've only had to do it on one vehicle and there were no issues but that's not enough data for me to recommend it wholeheartedly. I had tried several impacts as well as progressing to standing/jumping on a longbar (with the correct balancer holding tool in place) before giving up. Excessive heat could destroy the harmonic balancer.

why would starter be destroyed? every single time it has to overcome the engine compression! it can't be any worse than that!

Of course if you did not hook up correctly, your bar/socket would be flying or if you did not take off the spark plug and get the engine started with that bolt off, BAD things will happen!

I haven't done this job yet, but I'm thinking if one wanted to avoid the springiness of the deep impact socket, a standard length socket will probably fit (am I wrong?) and will flex less, being a shorter tube.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Yeah, the crankshaft bolt is hardest to remove. On our MDX, I wedged the tool and ratchet on the trailing edge against the garage floor, and used a 2' extension bar to loosen it. Ours didn't come off too badly.

This is my suggestion too. The first time I took the bolt off on my Accord it was a beast, but subsequent removals (after being re-torqued to the book value) were not nearly so difficult.

I bought a 3/4" breaker bar and socket at Harbor Freight for a reasonable price, along with a holder tool from Amazon. The bolt will yield to large tools without drama.

Odd this thread says it is really old but is the same as one from a few days ago...
Great timing as a just did the timing belt on our 2012 odyssey today.
111k on engine.
I order the aisin kit and Lisle heavy socket, new bando serp belt.

First I tried using my DeWalt electric impact wrench to remove the crankbolt. Nope
Then I tried a 2 ft breaker bar with 3 foot pipe... Pipe started nearly vertical and then I brought it down and touched the floor.... Nope didn't budge.

I went to HF and got the 1/2 earthquake xt , 1150 ft lbs breakaway torque. I connected it to my 4 gallon compressor. And it spun weaker and slower than my DeWalt electric wrench.

I was losing hope at this point.

Went to home Depot and bought 3/8 air hose fittings, I also removed the regulator and connected the air line directly to the compressor.

I could only do 1-2 second blasts followed by a 5 second wait time to let the compressor catch-up.

After about 6 tries it finally popped off.
I was extremely relieved.

The left/rear cam pulley was about 1/16 of an inch out when I went to replace the belt.
This must be common as I have seen other YouTube video where after removing the belt the rear cam is slightly out

I used a 17mm wrench and moved it in ever so slightly.

Moral of the story.... I'm asking SANTA for a 20gallon+ air compressor....and don't use those tiny 1/4 fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back