Affinia filters bought by Mann-Hummel

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's bad news.

US manufacturing is going to [censored] in a hand basket.

The US tax codes need to be revised to stop the offshoring of corporate headquarters and profits.

Whatever happened to the antitrust laws in the US?

Multinational corporations have become the new world government.

This is a sad way to end the weekend.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
what direction is that?

I still can't think of any negative direction that Purolator has taken after being acquired by MH.
21.gif

Oh and btw, guess who makes the motocraft filters your truck uses
wink.gif

Oh my word.

A casual observer should clearly see quality has taken a severe downturn the last couple of years.

I know who makes Motorcrafts, I also know they have thus far mostly escaped Puro's issues. So I use them. I also like and use Fram orange cans and Tough Guards in certain applications, and am a big fan of Wix made Napa Silvers. I use a lot of all of them (5 cars to service).

Ran a Puro Classic cartridge in the KIA last OCI because they too have been essentially problem free. And I have another for it. I will use it.

See I'm not a brand nazi. But I ain't blind either. Or irrationally defensive of a defective product.

I used to use Puro cans, they were after all the darling of BITOG here a few years ago. But they were bad offenders for start up rattle and I had some tears too. Why on earth would I buy more when there are other alternatives that work great for me that don't break?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
So WIX went from Dana Corp,to Affinia to Mann-Hummel.Gates is foreign owned too,as well as SKF,and Victor-Reinz.America will own nothing soon.

SKF bearing was never an American Company to begin with Swedish from day one

Originally Posted By: vssjim
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
So WIX went from Dana Corp,to Affinia to Mann-Hummel.Gates is foreign owned too,as well as SKF,and Victor-Reinz.America will own nothing soon.

SKF bearing was never an American Company to begin with Swedish from day one

SKF bought Reelcraft in my hometown a few years ago. They cant even keep their own profits now.

Wix filters will continue to be made in the USA owned by the Germans.

That's a trick sentence huh? You don't know if I'm saying the Germans own Wix, or if the Germans own America.
grin2.gif

Maybe Mann + Hummel can close the Purolator plants for a few weeks and second the Purolator personnel to the Wix factories so they can be re-trained how to make filters by the Wix people.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Maybe Mann + Hummel can close the Purolator plants for a few weeks and second the Purolator personnel to the Wix factories so they can be re-trained how to make filters by the Wix people.

A problem like that isn't due to the factory workers.

Probably not, but there's certainly no guarantee. When I mean Purolator personnel, I mean all of them, including the management at those plants. In the end, management is responsible. However, before workers are absolved completely, I doubt that the plant manager is personally sitting there gluing pleats in wide V-patterns.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Or maybe Mann and Hummel will cannabalize Wix as they have Purolator US for almost a decade and then close the US factories in Fayetteville and Gastonia to name some, and move production to the M&H filter factory in China. Similar to Fram shuttering the Stratford CA filter plant and moving production elsewhere.

As I see it it's been under M&H ownership that, using the relatively recent spate of bitog anecdotes, that QC/QA has been suspect. The buck stops at Mann &Hummel ownership and has for some time.

Rather than blaming the Puro US and it's employees, Mann should put the money and resources into improving QC/QA and the customer service which is now under the M&H signature.

And I highly doubt any Purolator worker is sitting personally gluing any pleat as implied. That is done by machines controlled by M&H. But obvious here that the old saying of [censored] runs downhill is in play.

As I said, time will tell what Mann-Hummel ownership will mean for Wix. Hopefully it won't follow the M&H owned Puro US bitog anecdote pattern.

Of course I realize the gluing is done by machines, and was being a wise guy, noting that it does run downhill. And, if Wix goes down the toilet, there are other options, some readily available, and others not so much.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Looks like Fram(and Motorcraft for Toyota/Ford spin-on) and OEM will get my nod...

Motorcraft = Purolator

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Looks like Fram(and Motorcraft for Toyota/Ford spin-on) and OEM will get my nod...

Motorcraft = Purolator
Made to Ford's standards, & much less tear prone. If MC filters ever started showing the problems that the Classics have, Ford would pull the plug & send the work to Champ/Fram in an INSTANT! Esp. considering that Champ already builds the ones that Ford uses in their assembly plants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Motorcraft = Purolator
Made to Ford's standards, & much less tear prone. If MC filters ever started showing the problems that the Classics have, Ford would pull the plug & send the work to Champ/Fram in an INSTANT! Esp. considering that Champ already builds the ones that Ford uses in their assembly plants.

There were a few instances of Motorcrafts tearing ... but they do seem to be much lower risk.

You can bet with NAPA anchoring the lion's share of Wix filter sales, they will have something to say about any erosion of Wix quality.

Unlike commercial retailers like Walmart who sell everything without any real ownership, NAPA has a high standard and reputation in the jobber market to maintain.

So my theory is Wix will remain strong as long as NAPA is in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back