Ethanol in 93 Octane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Does it really in a modern fuel system? I remember discussing this and researching it. Recent fuel systems have a whole lot of things to keep air out of the stored fuel.

I did use a bit of hyperbole. One could state that people claim there are problems, and even if the claims are analyzed, the issues are more likely due to even slight water intrusion into the ethanol, rather than E-10 itself. There's no way that the 10% alcohol in E-10 is anhydrous in use. My point is that most problems with fuel (in gasoline or diesel vehicles) end up being moisture related, and that's been the battle for decades.

Our fuel tanks still get air from the atmosphere to replace gasoline volume lost. Yes, modern automotive systems are much better than they used to be, but it's still not a sealed system by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the hyperbole bit, we know how it goes. As I've said before, my carb started to cause problems in my lawnmower, and the thing was almost brand new. The OPE guy, of course, blamed E-10. He didn't have a lot to say when I told him I have run Esso premium E-0 since new, with fuel stabilizer dosing every fill, just in case.
wink.gif

Generally, the water issues are nowhere near what they used to be. In the carb days, E-10 could be a godsend in the winter. Or, depending upon ones environment, E-10 could bring the same vehicle elsewhere to a crashing halt. Similar problems exist today, even if less obvious. A certain oil company up here proudly proclaims E-0 for premium, yet they dose the product with methanol for the winter, which is significantly worse. E-0 or not, one still has to address water issues, particularly in a Canadian winter, and that company has chosen methanol as its solution, despite the fact that it brings a whack of horrible issues all on its own.

As for the gasbuddy quote, I'd agree. There are a couple schools of thought. If a vehicle is going to be stored, fill it good to limit the available volume for water intrusion, or get it as empty as possible so fresh fuel can be added. Both seem feasible to me.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I've experienced it with my lesser used vehicle, classic water in gasoline problems, rough running and stumbling after sitting unused for a week or more. E-free gas cured it instantly. I even went back and forth a few times to prove it to myself.

I've generally been on the fence about E-10, and do understand there are reasons to have it and to use it. As I've said before, the biggest fuel related problem in a vehicle I ever had was with the old Audi, loaded with a full tank of 93 octane E-10. Something must have been amiss in the storage tanks, and I could hardly keep the stupid thing running. I burned it out as quick as possible, to as low a level as I dared. Then, a full tank of Esso premium E0 cured it as I was pulling out of the gas station lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back