Protecting Underhood Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
A4EFF153-513A-4E65-8ED1-6AEE53FA3281_zpscq7olzqu.jpg

That's my new underhood view. Lots of plastic and some exposed aluminum.

Even cars that never see winter or rain start to look like this (note valve cover)

DSC_0938-01.jpg

And ones that have seen a bit more outdoor use and life (but not necessarily salt) can look like this:

E0E909F1-C896-4481-BD12-70CEE8B310F5_zpsdgmaje7n.jpg

I'll admit I've never paid any real attention underhood. So id like to start. I think I have a good enough grasp of how to deal with the painted and plastic pieces, but what about the exposed metal?

Keep in mind that there is 260V-ish potential underhood, so keeping things clean and nice from the start is a plus, so we don't have to wash down underhood in the future.

Recommendations??

Thanks!

when I was restoring a E24 BMW M6 I protected the exposed under hood aluminum (and other metal parts) with Kroil. Sprayed on and wiped off, great stuff. I won car shows with that beauty...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Pledge furniture polish.

On metal?!?

Ive heard to use that on batteries, maybe from you!

Originally Posted By: BTW
when I was restoring a E24 BMW M6 I protected the exposed under hood aluminum (and other metal parts) with Kroil. Sprayed on and wiped off, great stuff. I won car shows with that beauty...

I was thinking of using a lightly oiled rag as a wipedown...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: BTW

I was thinking of using a lightly oiled rag as a wipedown...

Yep, done that too. Works great. I'll admit I'm a big fan of Kroil. IMO, no garage should be without a can or 2...

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has a 2011 Subaru, takes care of it well. I compare the engine bay of that to my 2011 Acura which I take care of well. The Subaru is filled with corroded bolt heads and fittings that you just don't see on the Acura. I've observed another Subaru recently which was the same.

I don't usually treat under hood components but if do, lately I've been using Adams In & Out spray. Good stuff.

Pledge furniture polish.

On metal?!?

Yep. leaves no unsightly residue and makes future cleanup easier. Do the whole engine compartment. You don't end up with that "just detailed" look.

Pledge furniture polish.

On metal?!?

Yep. leaves no unsightly residue and makes future cleanup easier. Do the whole engine compartment. You don't end up with that "just detailed" look.

Pledge is loaded with silicone. You could use a silicone spray also. I use Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray on my bike engine. I hose it down, wipe of the excess, and start it up to get it warm enough to cook off the solvent. Keeps the exposed aluminum fins looking new and the black coating dark and with a slight sheen. Once you get the solvent cooked off it doesn't attract dust and the coating allows dirt to come off easily without sticking.

Last edited:
Everbrite. The surface to be coated has to be degreased and if you ever want to remove the Everbrite coating, you have to use Xylene or similar. Everbrite protects metal parts on aircraft and boats , so it should work for a car.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Do any of these coating inhibit heat transfer? Does it matter on an engine part?

I was thinking the same thing. A thick, dirty coating would not be desirable, especially when loaded with grime.

But a spalling oxide layer likely isn't great either.

A super thin layer of protectant, plus keeping the surfaces CLEAN probably is a plus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back