2.0HDI diesel with Total 10w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a month i need to change the engine oil.
will be a problem IF I put Total 10w50 into a 2.0 HDI-16v engine.

In summer the temperature reaches more than 40 degrees Celsius.

Americans will say you're out of your mind.
I'm a tiny bit closer to you on the map, we don't put that kinda thin stuff in our engines...
If it meets the manufacturer's spec (for example ACEA A3/B4), and you don't drive under about -20°C, your engine will love you.

I change da engine oil twice a year (before summer and before winter).

My "winter" oil is castrol 0w30,Because winter temp is around -10 to -20C. In summer i put 5w40 (motul,total, castro,Esso).

But I wondered whether to put 10w50. Is there are a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it too much they are a great motor.
I ran one of those to over 600,000Km on factory turbo,
injectors and injector pump on 5W40 syn and good diesel in a Citroen Dispatch.
Seen -17c to +33c all hard work heavly loaded
(I service Generators so lots of oil,coolant,parts)
I miss it really dont think my current renault trafic will be
as hard wearing.
Last i heard it was still on the road carrying greyhounds, easy retirment.

Last edited:
I'd read my owner's manual before using that oil. Viscosity isn't the only thing to consider, your engine may also need a certain ACEA grade, or maybe the 2.0HDI has a proprietary specification.

I'm not sure what else I can do to help, since French cars haven't been sold in the USA for about 25 years.

My car is 1gen of this engine without FAP (DPF) filter. Recommedation oil is 5w40 - Total, but I have chip on this engine and I have 1s a month a race day on track. My car is 200 000km on dashboard

Chipped and racetrack? Go for that 10w50, but I'd go with 5w40 for the rest of the year. I know that engine, will be ok. You can also use 5w50 since 10w would be just a bit too thick for "cold"starts. Also when temperatures drop a bit you wont think so much that it is too thick ;-)

If there's a Carrefour in Bulgaria, they might sellCarrefour branded 5w50there, which supposedly is Mobil 1 5w-50 (SM or SL, can't remember)

I`m have around a 8000km or 5000 miles. And I Thing Total 10W50 is a good OIL.
In a few weeks I`ll change with Mobil 1 5w50 or Mobil delvac 5w40.

I don`t know witch is better ....

We have Carrefour...but we don`t have all of products. Only for now 15w40,10w40 and 5w40.But I think it's very cheap and I do not trust the quality of products.

Last edited:
Total 10W50 (and Elf competition 10W50) remind me the good old time of Citroen AX Sport, BX 16 soupapes and Peugeot 205/309 GTI. But back in the time it was considered a very good street oil for sports car, when Yacco and Labo 15W40 mineral or semi-synth was the norm.

I see Total 10W50 has evolved, nothing exceptional nor exotic additives but it now carries both SN and CF rating (ACEA A3/B4)...and it is quite cheap! 33€/5L here. I like Mobil 5W50, but is a bit more expensive..and on the heavy side for where I live (max temp today : 18°C, and it was a sunny day. Nice August weather).
I've tried Carrefour 5W50 in the past and I'm not 100% convinced it is still Mobil 1 rebadged, but who knows? It is made in the EU, and there's not that many 5W50 oil makers...Elf, Mobil, Motul, etc. It was ~32€ last time I bought it.

I don't think 5W vs 10W will make much of a difference with the temperatures you are experiencing, but I'm not sure how redesigned the HDI 16V are over the "original" 2,0L HDI 90/110cv. A friend of mine still had a 110cv 2,0L HDI, ran year round with semi-synth 10W40 (and 20K OCI)...270000Km and still rocking.

Originally Posted By: DibroTeam
My car is 1gen of this engine without FAP (DPF) filter. Recommedation oil is 5w40 - Total, but I have chip on this engine and I have 1s a month a race day on track. My car is 200 000km on dashboard

If you can get it I'd use Delvac 1 5W40 non ESP/LE
Can only get LE, ESP and thank God SHC in USA.
But I don't think much problem with the 10W50 even in the winter, Bulgaria isn't that cold for that long, right?

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back