How would you suggest I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I fix this? It's my '98 LS400 driver's seat.

Seat%20Tear.jpg

You get a new seat or a new car?

You can try taking it to an upholstery shop, but it's not cheap. You might be able to find a cheap one at a junkyard. Try searching with car-part.com.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
New seat or an upholstery expert to replace or repair the area.
Get some quotes from upholstery shops and the price of a new seat and see if a nicer seat is in the wrecking yard.

Car Seat Cover from Ebay made for your model. Might even match color pretty good but will look new and rest will look old uness you do them all. Check this out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faux-Leather-Car-Seat-Covers-Solid-Black-6pc-Bucket-Set-w-Head-Rests-/400944800157?fits=Year%3A1998%7CModel%3ALS400&hash=item5d5a2c219d&vxp=mtr

I would call the dealer and ask for the name of the leather repair person they use to fix leather in their used cars.

I damaged the drivers seat of my Acura by sitting down with a scissors in my back pocket. (Please don't ask how I could be so stupid). Left an "L" shaped tear about 1/2 " with a gouge about 1" long.

The repair involved placing a reinforcing piece of leather behind the tear, roughing up the damaged surface, then using a polymer to fill in the gouge and seam of the tear. The repair is sanded smooth and painted with a leather paint custom mixed to match the adjacent leather.

The repair is indistinguishable from the rest of the seat. Has been durable over the past year.

Total cost was $125

So I put a hole in the Grand Prix bolster by accident. Had a screw driver in my pocket. A local shop fixed a side just like that with new leather for 190 dollars. It was worth every penny. It matched perfect and replace a good portion of the leather.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Duct tape!

That's great for the wintertime, but in the summer time with the car sitting out in the sun, the heat keeps the adhesive soft and makes a mess.

call the seat shop (www.theseatshop). they hooked me up on a huge seam tear in the yukon. I put a new cover on and cleaned the other seat's leather. still holding strong.

they don't list your vehicle, but they are good guys. I suspect they have a source similar to theirs for your ride.

My wife needed to replace her leather drivers seat base cover on her 2005 Explorer. She did a lot of research and bought a factory fit one from theseatshop.com. They were reasonable, helpful and the replacement leather seat cover was a perfect color match and fit. They also sell all cushion parts to fix your seat.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
call the seat shop (www.theseatshop). they hooked me up on a huge seam tear in the yukon. I put a new cover on and cleaned the other seat's leather. still holding strong.

they don't list your vehicle, but they are good guys. I suspect they have a source similar to theirs for your ride.

Didn't see your post before I posted. theseatshop.com is great to deal with.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back