Classic Shell for Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone tried the newest release of this program that now works with Windows 10 yet? Basically it is one of the various software programs that install a classic Windows start menu. I used Iobit's Star Menu 8 on Windows 8 and loved it. They don't have anything for Windows 10 yet but I found this one.

I am not a fan of the Windows 10 start menu. At 1st glance it reminds you of a classic start menu but once you try and use it the shortcomings are very apparent( like no Control Panel link - you have to hunt it up and add it yourself ). I think I might give Classic Shell a try and see how it goes. The pictures show the classic Windows start menu I am after. Will also let me get rid of those annoying Metro Apps on the Windows 10 menu too.

Here is the main site if anyone is interested...

http://classicshell.net/

Download version 4.2.4 for full Windows 10 compatibility.

Try Start10 from Stardock (an upgrade from Start8). I have both Start8 and Start10 running on different machines at home and it makes Windows 8.x and Windows 10 the fastest version of Windows 7 ever made.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Anyone tried the newest release of this program that now works with Windows 10 yet? Basically it is one of the various software programs that install a classic Windows start menu. I used Iobit's Star Menu 8 on Windows 8 and loved it. They don't have anything for Windows 10 yet but I found this one.

I am not a fan of the Windows 10 start menu. At 1st glance it reminds you of a classic start menu but once you try and use it the shortcomings are very apparent( like no Control Panel link - you have to hunt it up and add it yourself ). I think I might give Classic Shell a try and see how it goes. The pictures show the classic Windows start menu I am after. Will also let me get rid of those annoying Metro Apps on the Windows 10 menu too.

Here is the main site if anyone is interested...

http://classicshell.net/

Download version 4.2.4 for full Windows 10 compatibility.

The Windows 10 Start menu seemed OK to me. Control Panel is under Windows System. It seems some of what had been in Control Panel is now in Settings. But its that way in phones and applications. The items that had been on the right side when you clicked start are not there.

Last edited:
Control panel in two steps:

1. In the "Search the web and Windows" box, type, "control panel"

2. Hit enter...

We use the work-arounds on my wife's Windows 8 machine, but I personally updated my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 and haven't found anything needing a work-around so far.

I am not a fan of the Windows 10 start menu. At 1st glance it reminds you of a classic start menu but once you try and use it the shortcomings are very apparent( like no Control Panel link - you have to hunt it up and add it yourself ).

You shouldn't have to hunt for anything in Windows 10. If you want to get to the control panel just hit the windows key then start typing control panel and it will pop right up.

I don't understand why 14 years later people still want Windows to work like XP.

Stardock's products are great. I have Start8 on all of my 8.1 machines, and will have Start10 on them when they upgrade to 10. As said above, they turn 8.1 and 10 into much faster versions of Windows 7.

I ended up with the Shell software as it was free.

Having to type the name of the function you want to access in a search window, when it is a function all users will access and use often, is ludicrous. Typical Microsoft.

Don't change things just for change sake. Microsoft can make a better, faster, more powerful OS while still keeping the core user interface that people are accustomed to.

Last edited:
I went right from 7 to 10 and everything is right where I expect it, or if it has moved it makes sense and I was able to quickly find it.

I paid $700 for this Dell laptop in 2009. It's been a pleasure to use for 6 years and I was able to upgrade to 10 for free. As far as I can tell I"ll be using this machine for a few more years - no complaints here!

A classic shell emulating 3.1 or 95 might be kind of cool.

No offense, but anyone who uses components of their control panel often, will know the name of the service they're looking for and type it out, instead of clicking through to find it. In other words, I'd type, "device manager" and click on that before I click through to find it on Windows 7.

If you like a shell or something that seems familiar, then by all means use what you like. I don't agree that people should always move on, that they should get used to new UI and things that they don't know. I like new things and learning hot keys, short cuts and more efficient ways of doing things, but if people want an icon to click or some other legacy interface, then some 3rd party will produce it for them, and that's fine.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
No offense, but anyone who uses components of their control panel often, will know the name of the service they're looking for and type it out, instead of clicking through to find it. In other words, I'd type, "device manager" and click on that before I click through to find it on Windows 7.

If you like a shell or something that seems familiar, then by all means use what you like. I don't agree that people should always move on, that they should get used to new UI and things that they don't know. I like new things and learning hot keys, short cuts and more efficient ways of doing things, but if people want an icon to click or some other legacy interface, then some 3rd party will produce it for them, and that's fine.

Whatever floats your boat.

Who said I didn't know the names of the services I am looking for? I just think it is asinine to have to type that name into a search box to find it on a computer. Doesn't do much good to know the service name if it is not where it always has been and is for all intents now hidden. Why not keep a consistent/basic theme across the OS platforms so users know where to find things? That is just common sense.

I do a lot of cross platform work and it is a lot easier on me when I can find what I need in similar places. START>CONTROL PANEL>SERVICE = done is much faster than typing out a name.

Last edited:
I do a lot of cross platform work and it is a lot easier on me when I can find what I need in similar places. START>CONTROL PANEL>SERVICE = done is much faster than typing out a name.

You can find and click those 3 things faster than you can hit the Windows key and type control panel? In fact, on my Windows 10 installation just hitting the Windows key and typing the letter C brings up the control panel. I assure you that's the fastest way to get there.

This isn't unique to Windows either. Every platform, including Linux and OSX all use search now (Spotlight, Synapse, etc.).

Originally Posted By: glock19

You can find and click those 3 things faster than you can hit the Windows key and type control panel? In fact, on my Windows 10 installation just hitting the Windows key and typing the letter C brings up the control panel. I assure you that's the fastest way to get there.

This isn't unique to Windows either. Every platform, including Linux and OSX all use search now (Spotlight, Synapse, etc.).

Clicking Start and then Control Panel from the menu that appears literally takes less than a second. The control panel menu, especially when in a classic Windows layout, is very easy to find the service you want. Click click click almost as fast as you just read that. I don't have to type anything.

There is nothing wrong with the other way you and some others talk of if that works for you and it is an optional way of doing it along with the traditional method. I don't understand taking away how it has been done for ever in Windows though. Makes no sense to me. It was a system that worked and was used across multiple versions of their OS so why drop it and go completely different? I do not consider this new way an improvement at all. The fact these 3rd party software programs exist to provide a classic Windows start menu is a testament to the fact I am far from alone in feeling this way.

Last edited:

Clicking Start and then Control Panel from the menu that appears literally takes less than a second. The control panel menu, especially when in a classic Windows layout, is very easy to find the service you want. Click click click almost as fast as you just read that. I don't have to type anything.

There is nothing wrong with the other way you and some others talk of if that works for you and it is an optional way of doing it along with the traditional method. I don't understand taking away how it has been done for ever in Windows though. Makes no sense to me. It was a system that worked and was used across multiple versions of their OS so why drop it and go completely different? I do not consider this new way an improvement at all. The fact these 3rd party software programs exist to provide a classic Windows start menu is a testament to the fact I am far from alone in feeling this way.

If you don't like change, then, like I said, stick with the older OS or find some shell you like, as you have. No one said you were alone. I'll counter, however, with the fact that Web TV existed for people like my gramma, for whom I spent literally HOURS teaching all about the intricacies of...the mouse; yep, how a mouse cursor works. She was so upset that her new (to her) Windows XP machine didn't work like her Web TV, which was so much simpler...to her...at that one moment in time. After a while, she began to BRAG about her computer skills!

With that said, there's no way you can "literally" click on control panel in less than one second, unless you move your mouse to where it will be located ahead of time, and then hit the Windows, effectively gaming the click.

For me, hitting the Windows key and then typing, say, "device manager" takes less time than hitting the Windows key, clicking on the control panel, and then finding out which selection will lead me to the device manager.

Again, to each his or her own, but if your argument is efficiency, you've unfortunately lost your leg to stand on if you have Windows 7 or 10 (I don't have much experience with 8 or 8.1.) It really is as simple as that. And, with Windows 10 being so close to Windows 7, I can't see any one claiming anymore than the loss of visible buttons for those who like to click through to get to anywhere, which is undeniably less efficient, even if more satisfying to older users or those who couldn't care less about having to memorize complicated typing procedures...

glock19 said:

There are always going to be people that fight change, just look at DI, CVTs, and 0w-20 on BITOG. People probably did the same thing with AC, traditional automatics, and synthetic oil too and now everyone loves that stuff. Companies have to change or they will fail. A car company couldn't make it selling the exact same cars today that they sold in 2001 just like Microsoft can't sell an OS today that's just like the one they sold in 2001.

Microsoft did away with the classic look in order to build the Metro UI. The plan was to unite desktop, tablet, mobile, and even Xbox in order to allow developers to build for one platform and deploy that code for every device while providing a consistent user experience. That plan didn't fully come together with Windows 8, but Windows 10 is a major improvement and things are finally coming together. As a Microsoft developer myself (I use their tech, don't work for MS), it's some very exciting technology.

At the end of the day Gathermewool said it best:

If you don't like change, then, like I said, stick with the older OS or find some shell you like, as you have.

If you don't like change, then, like I said, stick with the older OS or find some shell you like, as you have. No one said you were alone. I'll counter, however, with the fact that Web TV existed for people like my gramma, for whom I spent literally HOURS teaching all about the intricacies of...the mouse; yep, how a mouse cursor works. She was so upset that her new (to her) Windows XP machine didn't work like her Web TV, which was so much simpler...to her...at that one moment in time. After a while, she began to BRAG about her computer skills!

With that said, there's no way you can "literally" click on control panel in less than one second, unless you move your mouse to where it will be located ahead of time, and then hit the Windows, effectively gaming the click.

For me, hitting the Windows key and then typing, say, "device manager" takes less time than hitting the Windows key, clicking on the control panel, and then finding out which selection will lead me to the device manager.

Again, to each his or her own, but if your argument is efficiency, you've unfortunately lost your leg to stand on if you have Windows 7 or 10 (I don't have much experience with 8 or 8.1.) It really is as simple as that. And, with Windows 10 being so close to Windows 7, I can't see any one claiming anymore than the loss of visible buttons for those who like to click through to get to anywhere, which is undeniably less efficient, even if more satisfying to older users or those who couldn't care less about having to memorize complicated typing procedures...

We clearly disagree and you apparently know everything so let's just drop it. My final comments to you will be...

1 - Yes, I can click Start and then Control Panel in less than a second( ok one full second - happy? ). Control Panel is a listed option, and has been for a LONG time in Windows OS's, in the start menu on the right hand side. Long time Windows users know where to go when they need to access the CP. Well, they did until MS in their infinite wisdom removed it in Windows 10( you can right click the start button to access it as another pointed out in Windows 10 - I didn't know that at the time - I still prefer it in the Start menu itself though ). When you click Start the menu appears just above the button instantly and you simply slide the cursor up to the right to the Control Panel option. It takes no time at all. It certainly is faster than clicking the windows key and then typing in Control Panel even if my "less than a second" comment was exaggerated( and I figured a reasonable person would understand it was ). Once Control Panel is open I know where everything is and it takes me no time to bring up the service I want to use.

2 - This thread wasn't about should I use a 3rd party program or not to enable a classic start menu. I wasn't asking for that kind of opinion but as is the norm on BITOG people feel the need to force their views on others even when not asked for. I asked if anyone had experience with the one I talked about not should I use it or not.

3 - I lost no leg to stand on. I am more efficient with a traditional Windows user interface than this new Windows 10 way. I still feel they should leave some things alone. Windows 10 and all of it's improvements could have been made while keeping a classic user experience. I am not against change but change for change sake doesn't make it better. I do not agree this new way is faster or better either although you can if you wish. It is simply your opinion.

You use the computer your way and I will mine. Now let's move on shall we unless you have a response specific to the question I asked.

There are always going to be people that fight change, just look at DI, CVTs, and 0w-20 on BITOG. People probably did the same thing with AC, traditional automatics, and synthetic oil too and now everyone loves that stuff. Companies have to change or they will fail. A car company couldn't make it selling the exact same cars today that they sold in 2001 just like Microsoft can't sell an OS today that's just like the one they sold in 2001.

I am not resisting change. If I was resisting change I would run the oldest possible OS I could that ran the software I use. I actually bought a new computer with Windows 8 when people were saying how awful it was and not to buy it even though I could have got the same computer with Windows 7. I tried Windows 10 when so many others won't. I am willing to try something new.

Just because I do not like all the aspects of the change doesn't mean I am against change itself. IMO when it comes to things like a computer OS there are benefits to consistency when it comes to the user interaction with it. That is all I am talking about and not that MS should go back to Windows 3.1 or 95. It is good that MS has developed a new OS that is faster and more powerful. Doesn't mean they had to change how you access key features of it. THAT is where my beef is.

Microsoft did away with the classic look in order to build the Metro UI. The plan was to unite desktop, tablet, mobile, and even Xbox in order to allow developers to build for one platform and deploy that code for every device while providing a consistent user experience. That plan didn't fully come together with Windows 8, but Windows 10 is a major improvement and things are finally coming together. As a Microsoft developer myself (I use their tech, don't work for MS), it's some very exciting technology.

The Metro UI has been overwhelmingly rejected by laptop/desktop users. It is despised by "most" using those devices. Windows 8, without the traditional desktop/start menu( all the time not as an APP like function )for laptop and desktop computers, was a disaster which is why 8.1 came out so soon that returned the traditional desktop/start menu users want. The Metro UI is fine for ipads and smaller touch enabled devices but it sucks on a real computer. It is why so many 3rd party software developers came out with software to return the traditional desktop/start menu to Windows 8. They wouldn't have done that if the demand for it wasn't there.

If the Metro UI is so great, and had people not rejected it so clearly, we would not have seen Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 would have had the same type of setup as Windows 8. The fact they went back to a traditional desktop/start menu layout proves this. Unfortunately, they did not learn their lesson and they messed with the start menu. Bad move on their part and it is why we already have software that brings the classic Windows start menu back. It is what people want.

At the end of the day Gathermewool said it best:

If you don't like change, then, like I said, stick with the older OS or find some shell you like, as you have.

I really get annoyed at this. It is so condescending. As I said above I am not against change when that change is for the better. I do not feel the change to the start menu in Windows 10 is for the better and clearly I am not alone as there is already software out there to correct it and Windows 10 is what a month+ old? You and the other guy actually sound like you work for MS to me( I believe you that you don't - just an observation ). You guys seem to have their attitude of "know what is best" for everyone and we should thank you vs. actually listening to what the consumer wants and giving them that.

Enough of this. I asked about a specific program and nothing else. If you can't answer the question just stop.

Mod's

I got the answer to my question. Can this thread be locked now or removed.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back