Tacoma oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best is subjective. There are no bad Syns from any of the majors these days. You could literally pick the one with your favorite color of bottle and your engine will outlast the rest of the truck.

Many here have their favorite brand, while many of us try them all. I try them all and I haven't been disappointed with any of them to be honest.

My "favorite" is probably a Valvoline or Amsoil product I suppose. Try the ones you are interested in and for your own opinion! Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Go to Walmart and pick your poison. Any synthetic on their shelves would do just fine. Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Castrol Edge (Black), Mobil 1 all would serve you well. If you can find Kendall, it is a solid choice.
Royal Purple is a good choice if you can find it on sale or rollback at Walmart. If you have deep pockets, then go for a boutique oil (only available from "independent" distributors). Your truck will not notice a difference between a jug from Walmart or an overpriced boutique oil but if spending that extra money makes you feel better than have at it!

Welcome to the forum!

It depends upon what you're trying to accomplish. Generally speaking, with modest intervals, the cheapest, approved oil (and it doesn't have to be synthetic at all) will do the job admirably. If you want to go 10,000 miles or more on an oil change interval, one of those three you mentioned is probably a good idea.

Once you realize that most Tacomas with over 350,000 miles on then run non synthetic oil.

IF using the Mobil1 Extended Performance flavor of M1, it appears to be very nearly the equal of Amsoil Signature Series oil.
Amsoil has among the best UOA results I've ever seen on average.
There's not much difference though.
I don't consider Royal Purple any better than a Valvoline Synpower or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. RP is overpriced for what you actually get, but they do have good marketing and good website to push it.
Certainly in oil filters, Fram Ultra is the clear winner, though Purolator all-Synthetic and Royal Purple oil filters come close.

Royal Purple 20-400 oil filter and Red Line 5w30 in the sump of my 06 4.0l Tacoma yea I think I found my favorite combo.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Once you realize that most Tacomas with over 350,000 miles on then run non synthetic oil.

this. It's more important to have a regular oil change interval than to buy the best oil/filter money can buy but neglect to change it until long after the oil loses it's ability to do it's job.

Choosing which color bottle you prefer sounds like a good idea though.

I'm curious to know why you took the time to place a capital A on Amsoil, but paid no respect to mobil 1 or royal purple by using lower case letters on them. What a shame.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm curious to know why you took the time to place a capital A on Amsoil, but paid no respect to mobil 1 or royal purple by using lower case letters on them. What a shame.

Ha ha ha, you did the exact same thing....

Any synthetic oil from a well known reputable company will do the job.

(Available at Walmart)
Mobil 1
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol Edge
Castrol Magnatec (5W-20 only)
Valvoline Synpower
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Super Tech
Royal Purple

(Online order)
Amsoil
Schaeffer's

You get the idea. Pick one and that Toyota engine will outlast the chassis it was put in.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I did the exact same thing to demonstrate what the OP did.
grin2.gif

Even I make mistakes.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I did the exact same thing to demonstrate what the OP did.
grin2.gif

Yup, figured as much.

Originally Posted By: Tacotruck
I know it's all opinion but is mobil1, royal purple or Amsoil the best synthetic for a 06 Tacoma with 97000 miles

Hey Tacotruck - We recommend Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 for your Tacoma (4 or 6 cylinder). This particular oil is our first of its kind full synthetic high mileage motor oil made from natural gas and is specifically designed to deliver less oil burn off than other high mileage oils. Hope this info helps! – The Pennzoil Team

At the end of the day, that is all that matters. Piece of mind. Good choices by the way.

My dad has a '13 Tacoma and loves it. Great truck. He actually has the same oil/filter set up as you. Mobil 1 5w-30 and K&N filter. It does everything he asks of it as a mid sized truck. Except gas mileage..pretty [censored] for a mid size truck. But, what do you expect from a truck with its base roots back to '05 or so when half ton trucks were averaging 13-15mpg. I guess 18mpg is good for its time. Just not anymore.

Last edited:
I have 98000 miles now and was wondering if I should change the tranny filter an fluid. Can I use any fluid besides the Toyota stuff. Wanting to use royal purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back