Backing into parking spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: shadow7
Originally Posted By: LotI
I do it for efficiency pretty much everywhere I go. It's about fuel economy.

Bonus points for pointing the nose downhill..."potential parking"

I am curious what does backing into the sport have anything to do with fuel economy?

Manoeuvring with a hot engine requires less fuel than with acold engine (when you get out again).

Do you have data to back this up? If there is a fuel savings, it is going to be infinitesimal.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: shadow7
Originally Posted By: LotI
I do it for efficiency pretty much everywhere I go. It's about fuel economy.

Bonus points for pointing the nose downhill..."potential parking"

I am curious what does backing into the sport have anything to do with fuel economy?

Manoeuvring with a hot engine requires less fuel than with acold engine (when you get out again).

Do you have data to back this up? If there is a fuel savings, it is going to be infinitesimal.

My engine pulls .5 GPH when in cold idle but a measly .18 GPH when in warm idle, it uses roughly twice the fuel when cold to do the same maneuver as when hot. I had changed where I parked from having to climb out and stop at two stop signs a quarter mile apart with a high likelihood of hitting a red light a quarter mile after the last stop sign, to a parking space where I don't hit a stop sign for an extra half mile and then hit a light that usually is green; this change had netted me an extra MPG tank to tank.

Originally Posted By: stchman
To the OP:

Backing into your parking spot isn't as cool as you think it is.

The OP never said backing into the parking spot is cool. Clearly you have a problem with people who have actual driving skills.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
When you back into your garage the catalyst is warm and the smoke you drive over isn't noxious. When you back out, first thing in the morning, it's stinkier.

That's why I back out with the windows closed and the blower fan turned off until I get out into the driveway. I'll be smiling ear to ear when I get my first electric car.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
It's become a habit of mine to reverse into parking spaces and my garage. This seems to surprise many of my friends & family whenever we're out together. They say it's impressive and they find it difficult to do. I always thought backing into spots was a basic driving skill. Sure, you can choose if you want to do it or not but at least you are able to do it if necessary.

What do you guys think? Is backing into a spot seen as a difficult task for many people, similar to parallel parking?

Backing and parallel parking are both basic driving skills, which means there are lots and lots of people who are bad at it, and will do anything to avoid it.

For some reason they find backing into the open more comforting than backing into an enclosed area. In fact the same driving skills are being exercised.

I never backed in my old car, a buick lesabre. My new car is a chevy spark and I back it in or pull through whenever possible. I'm still a little new to backing in so if a parking lot is full of impatient people I just pull in nose first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back