Drag Racing Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a BBC 555 CI 870 HP Drag Racing Camaro that is currently running Joe Gibbs XP3 Oil. The XP3 has become difficult to obtain locally. We have researched replacement oils but what is a recommended replacement Oil for the XP3 that is available at a reasonable price in Alberta, Canada? Thanks.

Why did you use XP3 originally? Based solely on replacing what you have been using which is a race-only oil I'd go Red Line if you can find it at a reasonable cost.

The XP3 was selected by the Engine builder and previous owner. Red Line is available locally. Anyone have experience with 10W30 Pennzoil Ultra, Lucas Racing Oil or Mobil 1 in a Drag Racing application?

What weight are you currently running/what types of bearing clearances? Oil change regimen?

I know a bunch of guys running Pennzoil 25w50 racing. My bearing clearances are 0.0005" over spec running 20w50 VR-1 and making over 800whp on a 122ci 4 cylinder motor. Motor gets refreshed every other season and bearings look close to mint. Planning to make the switch once I finish my stash of VR-1.

9,700 rpm, 1107gm pistons/rods is usually not very bearing friendly but the oil has been working great for me. Hoping the switch to pennzoil 25w50 racing will completely eliminate any minuscule amount of marring I do see.

Joe Gibbs XP3 is full synthetic 10W30. Oil and filter changes at about every 50 passes with filter cut open for inspection.
Roller lifters and rockers. Main bearing clearances at 0.0028", Rod clearances at 0.0026" and 6500 RPM maximum.

Originally Posted By: 6X13
Joe Gibbs XP3 is full synthetic 10W30. Oil and filter changes at about every 50 passes with filter cut open for inspection.
Roller lifters and rockers. Main bearing clearances at 0.0028", Rod clearances at 0.0026" and 6500 RPM maximum.

Those are sort of on the loose end to run a 30-weight. How hot does the oil get at the end of a run? It may be OK if oil temperature is staying in the 150-160F range.

Last edited:
We do not monitor the engine oil temperature at this time but it might be a good thing to do in the future.

Here is my take;
An engine oil that is thicker than necessary may cost you a tenth or two, while an engine oil that is too thin will cost you $25,000.
Problems show up when you make the final four on a hot day. Hot lapping without sufficient cool-down time.

This is the time HTHS and beyond comes into play, and why I suggested mono-grade group IIs as an option.

Temporary shear can be described as the lining up of conventional VIIs in the bearing space caused by a high shear rate, reducing the viscosity of the engine oil.

The shear rate is determined by rpm, shaft diameter and bearing clearance.

If I have this understanding of temporary shear correct, would the following be true?

1. Under high loads during the temporary shear condition, the engine oil in the bearing space is reduced to it's base oil viscosity, which is the base viscosity of the complete engine oil blend, including additives and the un-activated VIIs.

2. A vehicle that is shifted under load, such as a drag race car, may have a higher viscosity requirement than an engine that is operated at a steady high load condition, such as a boat.

3. Engine oils containing VIIs should be avoided in vehicles that shift during a high load condition to a lower rpm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
Temporary shear can be described as the lining up of conventional VIIs in the bearing space caused by a high shear rate, reducing the viscosity of the engine oil.

The shear rate is determined by rpm, shaft diameter and bearing clearance.

If I have this understanding of temporary shear correct, would the following be true?

1. Under high loads during the temporary shear condition, the engine oil in the bearing space is reduced to it's base oil viscosity, which is the base viscosity of the complete engine oil blend, including additives and the un-activated VIIs.

2. A vehicle that is shifted under load, such as a drag race car, may have a higher viscosity requirement than an engine that is operated at a steady high load condition, such as a boat.

3. Engine oils containing VIIs should be avoided in vehicles that shift during a high load condition to a lower rpm.

Shear rate is also influenced by bearing radial load, as that affects the oil film thickness.

1. I think that's generally true, but I wouldn't go as far as saying the sheared viscosity is reduced to that of the base oil. Some VII's are better than others at resisting temporary shear.

2. I wouldn't want to make that conclusion until running an analysis. There are just too many variables to consider.

3. You're generalizing too much. Many engines are shifted under load, such as those that are bolted to automatic transmissions. All of them are subject to upshifts at WOT. No manufacturer specifies a different HTHS for engines based on the transmission it's teamed with.

Don't forget that HTHS is the defining characteristic that indicates which oils provide better protection under high operating stress. Temporary shear just tells the difference between viscosity under low and high shear conditions. If somebody tells you that the oil in the bottle he's trying to sell you doesn't shear at all, you still don't know if it has high enough HTHS to form a thick enough oil film for your engine.

I'm going to cherry pick your first sentence in the last paragraph;
1."That HTHS is the defining characteristic that indicates which oils provide better protection under high operating stress".

And this one;
2."Many engines are shifted under load, such as those that are bolted to automatic transmissions".

Corvette got around #2 by turning the engine off during shifts.

A general observation on #1;
A. Little else matters when selecting an engine oil if the HTHS is too low for the application.
B. The HTHS value follows the KV40 and less the KV100, which eliminates all the "what if's?".
In other words throw out the VI, as it is a poor indicator of HTHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back