Turning off all accessories when starting car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shark
At 75,000 miles all the knobs for her hvac were loose, one came off not long after.

She must have some heavy hands. Never even heard of this. I bet it has more to do with her being absent minded or in a hurry....or she drives a Kia.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
When I first learned how to drive, I was told to make sure things like the HVAC system, headlights and radio were off before starting up the car as to reduce excess load on the engine and electrical system. I'm not sure if there's any actual proof this does anything but it's a habit that's stuck with me til this day.

I believe the logic stems from the idea that starting the car, for example, with the AC blasting puts an increased load on the compressor. Similarly, starting the car with the headlights on puts an increased load on the battery, alternator and on the bulbs themselves. This is just my simplistic thinking; in no way am I an expert on the intricacies of automobiles. People who are knowledgeable on the subject, please chime in and correct me.

I've always done the same thing. My dad always did it and it's stuck with me too. Me though,I always turn everything off before I shut the car off.

My parents always do that. I usually turn things down or off to avoid surprises like air slamming through next time it comes on.

At one point I read that when really cold, one should turn on lights before cranking, just to get some current flowing in the battery. Not sure I buy it though.

My wife leaves everything on, everything. I get in and am blasted bay air , stereo and sometimes even wipers. If machines ever revolt against users.... She's a goner. He modis: If it doesn't work, crank it harder longer an don't check for problems. LoL. Unless you are single, leaving all that stuff blastin is like leaving a steaming pile of your [censored] in the drivers seat.

Now onto the OP post. I firmly believe in turning it off. Why?, because the computers aren't that smart. They may dim the lights for cranking moment but the lights come on before that and he stereo loads up and the blower blows at least in our '13 Camry. You can't get to the crank position without everything turned on .... Coming on.

Furthermore, I like to hear what is actually happening upon crank. Cat under the hood looking for warmth? A rod knock? A belt squeal? Also this allows me to be aware of surroundings. with radio blasting or air I can hear possible kids behind the car or a shopping cart sound coming from a person I'd be about to back over.

Personally, out of all the automatic features, most of which I think are total [censored] and don't get me started on the 52 chime sequence my seatbelt chime starts 3 seconds after crank, how about we have an auto shutdown feature so drivers actually pay attention to the car and surroundings when firing up.

Even before computer control, power hungry devices like rear window defrosters, headlamps, compressor clutches, and HVAC blowers were switched by relay systems driven by a central relay which didn't energize until the key switched from start to "run".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Even before computer control, power hungry devices like rear window defrosters, headlamps, compressor clutches, and HVAC blowers were switched by relay systems driven by a central relay which didn't energize until the key switched from start to "run".

That's true, though the '80s Fords I've seen used three separate sets of contacts in ign sw that were only active in the run position... Accessory circuits were open while cranking...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I always turn the radio off a minute before I stop and turn the AC to vent too

Me too.

I turn all off about 1/2 blocks from the house or where I was to park. I also let the car roll the last few hundreds feet to cool down the engine.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I've seen volvos mute the headlights (but not parking lights) when cranking. I would be surprised by this if I stalled and had to flick it in neutral when rolling to restart.

When rolling, you just select a proper gear and let the road wheels do the cranking
wink.gif
lights won't go out.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: mclasser
When I first learned how to drive, I was told to make sure things like the HVAC system, headlights and radio were off before starting up the car as to reduce excess load on the engine and electrical system. I'm not sure if there's any actual proof this does anything but it's a habit that's stuck with me til this day.

I believe the logic stems from the idea that starting the car, for example, with the AC blasting puts an increased load on the compressor. Similarly, starting the car with the headlights on puts an increased load on the battery, alternator and on the bulbs themselves. This is just my simplistic thinking; in no way am I an expert on the intricacies of automobiles. People who are knowledgeable on the subject, please chime in and correct me.

I've always done the same thing. My dad always did it and it's stuck with me too. Me though,I always turn everything off before I shut the car off.

I do both of those things -- a kind of "pre-flight" and "post-flight" checklist.

I shut off the HVAC fan mainly because I do not want a blast of hot air in the summer, or freezing cold air in winter. My wife just leaves the car the way she drove it.
Doesn't seem to affect the battery life or cause excessive power drainage in winter. Cars start fine either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back