Mobil Super 5000 5W-30 / 3,000 mi / 2015 Tacoma V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Mobil Super 5000 5W-30
Filter: OEM Toyota Filter
Engine: 1GR-FE , 4.0 Liter V6 (4x4)
3,000 miles on oil
9,500 miles on motor

This is my third oil change on the Tacoma with the first one being at ~1,223 miles. I have been trying to change it every 3,000 miles until I could get some feedback on the analysis. Looks like the Mobil 5000 held up pretty well, especially since I drive it pretty hard at times. This is the only oil I have been using since I have owned the truck. I also made a comment on using synthetics since I drive about 80 miles a day (all highway) and would like to prolong oil changes if I can as well as waiting for the metals to go down since its still breaking in. But to me, this oil seems pretty good. Any other suggestions on oils for Taco?

I am also curious about the Titanium levels. I thought Mobil Super 5000 had some amount of Ti in place of the Moly after looking at VOA. I am also wondering why the viscosity is so low without any high fuel dilution. Thoughts?

Thanks!
cool.gif

afree,

I also have the same model Tacoma, only I bought mine a month later, in March of this year. I also performed an early UOA on the factory fill, like you did - see mine here. It's uncanny how similar mine (at 1000 miles) and yours (at 1223 miles) are. Not sure what to make of the viscosity change - are you sure you didn't put a 20 weight in there :)

I am glad to see your copper and silicon come down so quickly!

Last edited:
I'd switch to a different oil that didn't lose its VI due to shear of that chemical. Without fuel dilution, that appears to be what's happening with the low viscosity.
There are so many good cheap synthetics out there to choose from, if you don't want to spend a lot the SuperTech walmart synthetic 5w-30 is a dexos1-level oil quality, better than Mobil 5000, and SuperTech is typically produced by respected Warren Performance Products, probably using either Lubrizol, Oronite, Infineum, or Afton additive packages, so it is good stuff.
Put on the best oil filter around, the dual layer synthetic media Fram Ultra (wire-backed too) and you are doing the most that can be done.
If going to a cheap synthetic like SuperTech, leave it in for 7,500 miles with that driving pattern you have.

1.Some of the newer motors are coming out with titanium and/or Diamond-Like-Coatings (DLC) on high stress/high load areas. You really need a VOA of this exact sample to develop trends.

2. An engine that is still running-in will shear the oil to a lower viscosity.

I think this oil is holding up pretty well during the run-in period.

I would recommend continuing use of this oil to develop your trending and at the same OCI's.

I noticed on my 1500 mile run with Amsoil Signature 5W-30 sheared down to 9.43 cSt. Certainly not serious, but given only 1500 miles on the oil, it's significant. Amsoil SS 5W-30 starts out at 10.4 cSt.

Originally Posted By: afree

I am also curious about the Titanium levels. I thought Mobil Super 5000 had some amount of Ti in place of the Moly after looking at VOA. I am also wondering why the viscosity is so low without any high fuel dilution. Thoughts? Thanks!
cool.gif

You're right. Reasoning it out, Titanium is an anti-wear AW additive that does not lower friction. Moly, especially the trinuclear form Mobil gets from their half-ownership of Infineum with Pennzoil, lowers friction to allow it to pass the Sequence VID engine fuel economy (friction) test, and it also lowers wear some from what I've heard in the small amount used. Maybe Mobil allowed wear to go up slightly while still passing the wear tests by leaving the Titanium out. Or the lab just missed the titanium. Could be Mobil 5000 got a shot of esters which don't show up on a VOA to make up for the loss of titanium AW, not sure, guessing.
Titanium is a good AW though. Castrol Edge syn recently reduced how much they use but still have some. Kendall GT-1 (conoco-phillips) has a lot in it and is also an excellent oil, usually mail ordered from Petroleum Service Company for kinda cheap.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
2. An engine that is still running-in will shear the oil to a lower viscosity.
I think this oil is holding up pretty well during the run-in period.
I would recommend continuing use of this oil to develop your trending and at the same OCI's.

According to Mobil Super 5000 used recently in DuckRyder's UOA of an older engine, Mobil thinned out a lot more than Quaker State conventional green bottle, and Mobil1 full-syn.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3556768/Mobil_5W-30,_4703mi_-_2006_GM_
Not terrible, sure, yet enough to make one try another brand of oil maybe.

Doesn't really look like Super's add pack but of course could have been tweaked. The high calcium and no ti particularly deviate from what I would have expected.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Doesn't really look like Super's add pack but of course could have been tweaked. The high calcium and no ti particularly deviate from what I would have expected.
Agreed; that is not MS5K--no Ti and very low Na do not match what is found in MS5K (unless this is an old formulation or something else is going on).

Here is a VOA of 5W-20 MS5K for comparison.

hmm, I have been seeing this with other analysis too. IS this a Blackstone issue?

3,000 miles on oil
9,500 miles on motor

This is my third oil change on the Tacoma with the first one being at ~1,223 miles. I have been trying to change it every 3,000 miles until I could get some feedback on the analysis. Looks like the Mobil 5000 held up pretty well, especially since I drive it pretty hard at times. This is the only oil I have been using since I have owned the truck. I also made a comment on using synthetics since I drive about 80 miles a day (all highway) and would like to prolong oil changes if I can as well as waiting for the metals to go down since its still breaking in. But to me, this oil seems pretty good. Any other suggestions on oils for Taco?

I am also curious about the Titanium levels. I thought Mobil Super 5000 had some amount of Ti in place of the Moly after looking at VOA. I am also wondering why the viscosity is so low without any high fuel dilution. Thoughts?

Thanks!
cool.gif

Hey afree - Since you are considering making the switch to synthetic motor oil, this is the perfect time to invite you to participate in our UOA program. Pennzoil is currently looking for consumers who are willing to try out our latest full synthetic offerings and get some results/feedback on the oil’s performance from an independent testing facility. Please send us a private message if you are interested. Looking forward to hearing from you! - The Pennzoil Team

No Ti in MS5K? strange
I had been using MS5K in the wife's 2001 SUV, the 5000 Clean prior, but now its on it first fill of Kendall blend. With 128k on the clock, never had to top off before and now. In fact I'm now doing 2 year OCIs since its basically just a grocery getter and for her to/from appointments. All its seen for some years now and hasn't been on highway/freeway for years (I know not good).
Just this morning took it in for a smog test and it passed again - oh well, maybe we'll keep it another year or two. I was going to get her a new SUV but she says no! - again, strange

I am thinking the low viscosity is caused by fuel dilution (even though the report doesn't say so). I do idle the truck quite a bit in the morning since the highway is less than a mile from my house. I like to get it someone warm before I mash it on the highway. I also remember the oil had a high scent of fuel (compared to other oil changes I have done) which also leads me to believe its fuel.

Normal shearing. Give it more time to oxidize back up to a 30 grade.

Engine broke in quickly. I've seen plenty of Toyota's go 20k-25k before wear metals drop off.

I'd switch it to synthetic and enjoy whatever the maximum OCI that Toyota allows. My vote is also for that interesting post #3829020

3,000 miles on oil
9,500 miles on motor

Thanks!
cool.gif

Hey afree - Just wanted to follow up and see if you wanted to take us up on our UOA program offer we extended a few weeks ago. Please send us a direct message if you are interested in testing out Pennzoil Synthetics in your Tacoma. Thanks! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Normal shearing. Give it more time to oxidize back up to a 30 grade.

Engine broke in quickly. I've seen plenty of Toyota's go 20k-25k before wear metals drop off.

I'd switch it to synthetic and enjoy whatever the maximum OCI that Toyota allows. My vote is also for that interesting post #3829020
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back