Waterless...this guy is either an idiot or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use two buckets new mits, lots of ore wash, suds, brand named Guires best shampoo stuff and I still pick up light spider web micro scratches eventually.

This clown uses a microfiber dragged allong with just a spritz of waterless cleaner and get glassy shine? There was more material on the vehicle than just a slight haze, actual dirt particles. I HAVE to beleive that he generated some scratches. Your thoughts?

http://youtu.be/T-ShtSvQaSA
Idiot or Genius?? LINK

Actually I do this often. It's detailing spray with a wax in it. I just use detailing spray, and just between car washes, but it works great for getting off just about any normal dirt or dust. In fact, some of the nasty stuff that you get on your paint, like bird poop and other mixed texture biologicals, the detailing spray actually works better to remove it.

Popular Mechanics had a bit of a blurb on this, too. I'm highly skeptical. I understand tinmanSC's point about spot cleaning something really messy (bugs, bird poop), but some people talk about this as the great way to wash one's vehicle without using a hose or commercial car wash. As you already note, it's difficult enough to get a vehicle clean without marking it up at least somewhat, with copious amounts of water, soap, two buckets, mitts, and various rags. I'm not convinced that this is perfectly safe.

Also, my time is more valuable than that. This looks ridiculously tedious. I'm not wandering around a vehicle with a couple rags and a shot glass volume of some solution. Before I ever get caught dead doing that, thanks to drought or legislation, I'll get rid of the G37 and drive the old F-150 everywhere.

I challenge him to take on a truck that's been offroading in the mud. Perhaps he can take his spray bottle and rag and do the Golden Gate Bridge, while he's at it.

No amount of lubricity or surfactants would make me want to do that on my black car. You can't get away from the physics of rubbing that particulate matter across the clearcoat. Let's see that side of the car in direct low angle sun instead of shade with bright things in the reflection.

I've seen numerous videos on water less washing. Just can't bring myself to do so myself. On the other hand using detail spray and a gentle wiping is a great way to remove bird poop.
But wiping gritty road dust? No way!

I have a bottle of waterless wash concentrate, and I use it to make a waterless wash spray, much like is shown in that video..

BUT, I would never consider using it on a vehicle that is that dirty. I pretty much only use it when my car has collected a couple days worth of dust.. Works great when used right.

I consider the amount of grime on that vehicle in the video to be beyond what a waterless was should realistically be used for.

I waterless wash with two buckets in the winter. You should see my paint in the sun after three years of this and 5 of normal washing. No swirls

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I waterless wash with two buckets in the winter. You should see my paint in the sun after three years of this and 5 of normal washing. No swirls

That sounds like you're doing a RINSELESS wash, not a WATERLESS one. Big difference.

I use Chemical Guys Ecosmart waterless wash and wax on my cars. As long as you don't let them get super dirty, there are no issues that I have found. I bought the concentrated stuff, $20 for 16oz that dilutes to 2 gallons with distilled water. You mix it up and spray a whole panel. Let it sit for about 30 seconds, then just wipe it off. After you're done wiping the panel, the wax has formed a haze you buff off. I now follow that with a light coat of Meguiars D156 synthetic spray wax. I have only washed my car with a hose once in the last couple months, but it stays looking clean. I also use the California Duster usually once a day to keep the dust from sticking.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

If you're doing a waterless wash, what are the buckets for? You can only wear one on your head
grin.gif

Waterless washing is gaining a lot of traction in the detailing community from what I have seen. I have yet to try it myself, that said I want to by winter. I cannot see a better way when it's cold out, I sure as [censored] don't feel like 2BW when it's 5 degrees out (or doing it in my garage).

I have used and promoted Wet Paint here, the original waterless wash invented in the late 80's, since 2004. I've also tried a dozen others and they all have their place. To me that vehicle was too dirty for a waterless wash to be used safely.

Wet Paint and Poorboy's Spray & Wipe are the two best I have ever used. WP leaves a shine and sealant behind whereas Poorboy's just cleans. They all work without marring if used properly.

This is akin to the 3,000 mile oil change folks. No matter how good the products have gotten there are those that refuse to believe it and refuse to change.

At some point you will have to machine polish the car regardless of how it has been washed, no method is 100% idiot proof.

Enough people have done it long enough that it must work reasonably well.

Me? I can spare three gallons of water for a rinseless wash. Why go to the ragged edge of what is possible? To continue on RF's point, sure a 3,000 mile oil change is useless. Probably a 10,000 mile oil change would work fine 90% of the time. Why not dial it back just a hair and get the 99% confidence level?

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

Enough people go to the neighborhood car wash and grab the brush that's sitting in the mud and start scrubbing their vehicle. I don't call that a quality endorsement.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

Enough people go to the neighborhood car wash and grab the brush that's sitting in the mud and start scrubbing their vehicle. I don't call that a quality endorsement.
wink.gif

"Enough detailers that make a living off their paint finish have done it long enough that it must work reasonably well."

How about that? Check out autotopia or autogeek if you need more info. Quite a few do it because it's quick and effective, and time is money for those guys.

For certain situations, sure. But some of these guys are really stretching the truth with how much dirt they can tackle in a given period of time, and tackle it safely. I'll be at least three times as fast with a pressure washer with appropriate chemicals, and I have zero concern about laying down a bunch of swirl marks.

I only know one person brave enough in my network of professional detailers that would attempt a waterless wash on a car that dirty, and he's a hack. Never been a fan of the waterless wash myself regardless of how dirty the car is.

This is the stuff that I use (when it's suitable):

pinnacle-liquid-crystal-waterless-wash-concentrate-with-carnauba-buy-one-get-one-free-2.gif

16 oz bottle, and 1oz of concentrate makes 32 oz of waterless wash spray. I live in Phoenix, so most of the time, my car doesn't so much get 'dirty' or 'grimy', as it gets 'dusty', especially in summer.

It is for this kind of situation that I use the waterless wash. If the car is ever 'dirty' like after it rains and there's stuck-on spots, mud, etc.. then it gets a proper 2-bucket wash with a quality concentrate, and a proper chenille mitt.

For the dusty situations, though, a quality waterless wash works perfectly well, and takes much less time. You just have to make sure you use

1 - very good __CLEAN__ microfiber cloths, preferrably with a good GSM count and quality fiber make-up.

and

2 - The right technique. This is, IMHO, the make-or-break part of this proposition. Spray enough solution, wipe in straight lines, in one direction, and rotate the cloth as you move across the surface. Do it wrong, and you're going to mar your paint.

I also like to follow up with a little Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax, or similar, to up the protection, just a bit. Helps extend the sealant/wax underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back