Need help identifying a B&S engine (model #)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tore down the engine on a push mower I've had sitting around for a few years. I got the mower at a yard sale and it started giving me problems two years after buying it. I use it mostly for trimming as I have a commercial grade zero turn mower.

The engine is torn apart and it looks like it needs serious work on the carb and a new set of rings. Haven't got the valves out yet but they aren't looking good either.

I've looked all over and can't seem to locate the model number. Went to the Briggs homepage and saw where they said it should be. Nothing.

It looks to be a 3.5 or 3.75, probably the later, engine. The mower is a standard 22in push type. Vertical crank, spark plug facing front with carb and gas tank on the side. Anybody know what the model number might be? 90900? Having trouble narrowing down my parts search.

Thanks
Mantooth.

Are you looking for a sticker? Start looking for numbers that are stamped directly into the steel. Look at the flat section of the blower housing directly above the spark plug.

The model number is stamped into the flywheel shroud. The 90900 number sounds like a good model number. It means that your engine is a 1990 model There should also be type and code numbers on the shroud. With those numbers, you should have no trouble finding parts to repair your engine.

The 90900 number I got by searching the net. I'm taking a guess that is the number.

There are three numbers stamped on the block in different spots.

On the bottom plate is what looks to be
MMP EL32

The head has:068

And the flywheel has:56A

None of those jive with any B&S model numbers I have found.

This is my first engine rebuild 😀 if you couldn't tell.

If you get me the numbers, I will send you the corresponding parts list and service manual.

All I ask for in return is a little praise and worship.
grin2.gif

This is where most codes are located on older engines, seen a few on front of housing... This is a 3.5Hp from 1980, the 4hp model will start with 11(11 cu in vs 9.2)...

bampscode_zpsk1jc0d9i.jpg

It was on the housing. Missed it the first time because a previous owner did a spray paint job on it. I was able to get the parts list and manual from B&S's website.

Now all I have to do is get it put back together correctly.

Thanks.

Wait a minute! Aren't you gonna post the numbers?
They should look something like this: 121702-3141-01-90111405

Don't you want your free illustrated parts list and service manual?

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Wait a minute! Aren't you gonna post the numbers?
They should look something like this: 121702-3141-01-90111405

Don't you want your free illustrated parts list and service manual?

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Stop pretending that you are special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back