Rotella T5 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I did search and nothing.

My 2015 Victory Cross Country calls for 20w-40 and I do know the 40 is the important number. My question is the wet clutch and using Rotella T5 15w-40. I've read where the oil has no friction modifiers so it's safe and lots of people use it but I can't find anything here with results from oil tests using the T5 blend. I want to stay with a blend. I've also read Rotella went to the expense of getting the JASO MA on triple t and t6 but didn't want to invest $$ for their other oils to get the rating. Opinions?

Last edited:
I couldnt find any TDS for t5 15w40
I know it exists I got 12 gallons on closeout from sams club.

The TDS for T5 10w30 only lists JASO DH-2

The TDS for t5 10w40(yes 10w40) only lists JASO DH-2

Therefore I'd only recommend using t6 5w-40 or triple protection 15w40 (not t3 that's different)

another excellent product is the shell advance 15w50.

A bit of clarification: SOPUS states that Triple Protection and T6 meet the standards for JASO MA, but it is not licensed.

JASO list

They most likely didn't spend a dime trying to meet the spec

It is just my opinion, but any of the 3 major HDEO's, delo, delvac or rotella are just fine in the 15-40 for bikes. I prefer the Delo because of the chevron add pack and have had great results in my 2014 Indian. You can check out the UOAs in that section of BITOG.

To my knowledge, none of the three HDEO's mentioned above have caused clutch problems. Obtaining a JASO rating takes money. They are not likely to spend that for a Diesel engine oil.

Last edited:
I personally would not use Rotella T6 5-40 in a shared sump bike. It shears very quickly. Unless you want to change oil often.

I've done tests on T6 Triple T and a blend of both I thought buying t5 would have me from blending and yes T6 sheared.

First change at around 3000 miles on the oil with Rotella Triple T 15W-40
6900172940_dd5ea89e67_b.jpg

Second change with 5000 miles on the oil with 4qts Rotella T 15W40 and 2qts Rotella T6 synthetic.
This change went through the 110+ Phoenix temperatures.
8007457548_4e7153d96b_b.jpg

Third change with 5,125 miles on the oil with Rotella T6.
This change had a bad throttle positioning sensor that dumped gas
and I didn't know it until a friend said he could smell gas when I accelerated.
8578910732_6533b815ae_b.jpg

Last edited:
Those look very typical for Rotella. Try the Delo, I think you will like it. It uses a little better base stock than Rotella. It also has, what I think is a little better add pack for a shared sump bike. It relies a little more on chevrons boron chemistry. It is also on the thicker side of a 40 wt and will typically stay in grade.

But, Rotella, delvac or delo 15-40's are all very good oils for a motorcycle and they are priced right. Don't recall a bad UOA with any of them.

I have T5 15W-40 in my FZ1 right now. So far so good.
When I first started using conventional SRT 15W-40 years ago, it did not have the JASO MA rating. Nothing blew up or slipped.

Originally Posted By: Spur
I personally would not use Rotella T6 5-40 in a shared sump bike. It shears very quickly. Unless you want to change oil often.

in the summer i agree
in the winter (if you can stand it) not as much. 5w40 pours really well for cold startup.

now, if you have a super easy going motor like a goldwing....maybe all year long.

the real test is what does *your* bike show with it in?

mine turns it to water in short order and my buddy ran it for 3 seasons and broke 3rd gear using it. switched to 15w40 and never broke 3rd in 6 more seasons. oil related or a weak gear? hard to tell. only real change was the oil.

Agree Sunruh. I just don't live in a cold enough climate to use T6. But if you do it will certainly flow better. Those Goldwings seem to be the easiest bike out there on oil.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Waiting for the usual suspect to show up and recommend you use Mobil 1 AFE 0w30
[color:#FF0000][/color]

Not in this lifetime.

I use Rotella TP 15w-40 in my Victory XCT. Vic requires a JASO-MA lube; Shell offers two (TP and T6). I understand it is not "licensed", but SOPUS extends coverage to the product in terms of performance and warranty by recommending it for JASO-MA/2 applications.
Here in 2010, they show MA:
http://theoilnet.com/Atlantic-States-Lub...-TRIP-15W40.pdf
However, in this 2013 link, they show both MA and MA2:
https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/epcblobstorage/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T_Triple_Protection_15W-40_(CJ-4)_(en-US)_TDS.pdf

I would tend to agree that the conventional 15w-40 is a "better" choice, especially in AZ, because it is less likely to shear. I have had no issues with using it, and it does a great job, even when sitting idling for extended periods in heavy, high-heat, traffic in construction zones. Yes - it does get really hot in IN in the summer upon occasion. And when you're running stop/go at a max of 2-3 mph, the ambient temp differential isn't what's going to cook your engine; the argument of 95 degF versus 105 degF ambient is moot. It's the lack of airflow that's important. And I've had my share of sitting idling/crawling on my Vic, and had no issues whatsoever using the dino 15w-40.

Don't get hung up on the 15w- ver 20w- thing; it's just not that important at all in terms of real-world wear-protection. I would challenge anyone to show me proof (not opinions, but real data) that indicates a 20w-40 saved an engine from demise but a 15w-40 allowed one to fail, or for that matter tangibly altered your performance in terms of shifting, fuel economy, etc. At full temp, they are both 40 grades.

I would suspect that any decent CJ-4 low-SAPS 15w-40 would suffice, but since Shell goes to the extent to actually list the specific application (MA, MA2), I feel confident in it's use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I use Rotella TP 15w-40 in my Victory XCT. Vic requires a JASO-MA lube; Shell offers two (TP and T6). I understand it is not "licensed", but SOPUS extends coverage to the product in terms of performance and warranty by recommending it for JASO-MA/2 applications.
Here in 2010, they show MA:
http://theoilnet.com/Atlantic-States-Lub...-TRIP-15W40.pdf
However, in this 2013 link, they show both MA and MA2:
https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/epcblobstorage/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T_Triple_Protection_15W-40_(CJ-4)_(en-US)_TDS.pdf

I would tend to agree that the conventional 15w-40 is a "better" choice, especially in AZ, because it is less likely to shear. I have had no issues with using it, and it does a great job, even when sitting idling for extended periods in heavy, high-heat, traffic in construction zones. Yes - it does get really hot in IN in the summer upon occasion. And when you're running stop/go at a max of 2-3 mph, the ambient temp differential isn't what's going to cook your engine; the argument of 95 degF versus 105 degF ambient is moot. It's the lack of airflow that's important. And I've had my share of sitting idling/crawling on my Vic, and had no issues whatsoever using the dino 15w-40.

Don't get hung up on the 15w- ver 20w- thing; it's just not that important at all in terms of real-world wear-protection. I would challenge anyone to show me proof (not opinions, but real data) that indicates a 20w-40 saved an engine from demise but a 15w-40 allowed one to fail, or for that matter tangibly altered your performance in terms of shifting, fuel economy, etc. At full temp, they are both 40 grades.

I would suspect that any decent CJ-4 low-SAPS 15w-40 would suffice, but since Shell goes to the extent to actually list the specific application (MA, MA2), I feel confident in it's use.

What you're talking about is Triple T not T5 or did I miss something? I'm asking about T5 15w-40.

There is no "Triple T" that I'm aware of.

Here is how the Rotella line breaks down in their marketing strategy:
Rotella T3 (good basic fleet oil; conv base)
Rotella T Triple Protection (often referred to here as "TP"; conv base)
Rotella T5 upmarketed product (semi-syn)
Rotella T6 top-tier market position (full syn, if you're not going to gag on the definition of the word "synthetic")

I use Triple Protection; it is a conventional base stock and JASO-MA/2 rated by Shell. Shell also rates their T6 at that same level. They do NOT rate the T5 products as MA/2.

I have used T6 and TP in motorcycle applications, and see that they both perform equally well, except that TP will hold it's grade better and not shear down nearly as bad in a shared sump system such as the Vic and just about most other bikes.

Because TP performs very well, is MA/2 recommended by Shell, is easy to find at a low cost, I see it as the better choice from the contenders. Why pay more for T5 (which is not MA recommended by Shell) or T6 (is recommended, but performs no better and shears quicker)?

You specifically stated you wanted to "stay with a blend" in your opening post. Well, sir, ALL lubes are "blends". It's a matter of base stocks, additives, etc. There is no "pure" oil being used in an automotive sense. I presume that you meant you want to use a semi-syn when you say "blend". OK - do as you see fit.

But you ALSO asked for opinions; that opens up the field widely. My opinion is that you're wasting money to buy T5, when TP will do everything you need it to do, even in your hot area. When Shell recommends the TP for the same application as the T6, and proof (UOA data) shows the T6 will shear quicker and not offer any better wear protection, then why use the most costly product?

My "opinion" is that you have preconceived notions about what you "want", and are not focusing on the pragmatic decisions of what you "need". That is not uncommon here at BITOG.

Your bike "needs" a JASO-MA lube. Shell offers two; TP and T6 (in 40 grades at least). T5 is not (at this time) offered for that application by Shell. The T5 are rated for JASO DH-2; I have zero idea of what that means, but it's irrelevant because your bike "needs" MA. T5 is not, with any grade they offer in T5, recommended for MA service.

You can use what you want. But I was giving you my direct experience with the Shell line in many bikes over the years, and I have the exact same bike (XC chassis with 106/6 drivetrain) as you.

Do as you see fit. What you want and what your bike needs are apparently two completely different things. Again - not uncommon here at BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
He does that...

Passionate about what I do for sure I thought the original question was a pretty simple one.

Every forum has one........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back