Today's Test Drive: 2015 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I went and looked at a 2015 Mustang GT Premium manual with the Performance Package and navigation. It was ordered by the dealer's used car manager, and he wound up with a demo. It only has 890 miles on the clock and comes with the Ford CPO warranty(7 years 100k miles powertrain, 4 years 48k miles B2B). Ebony leather interior, and a subdued dark green(Ford calls it "Guard") exterior. It was in the showroom and the sales guy offered to let me take it out, but I said I'd just drive another GT with a stick. He found another GT with Premium trim and my wife and I took it out. My wife liked it better than the 335is we checked out Saturday. As for me, two big issues:

1. It felt S L O W. Now, this car didn't have the Performance Package, which gets you the 3.73 rear end ratio- the sled I drove had either a 3.31 or 3.55 gear set. I didn't expect it to detach my retinas(a 4.5 second 0-60 time is not exactly pulse-quickening these days) but I anticipated that it would feel at least a little faster than my Mazdaspeed- and it just didn't. I suspect that the big slug of low end torque of the MS3's turbo motor contributes to that impression.
2. It drove bigger-and heavier-than it actually is. Now granted, the Performance Package gets retuned springs, bushings and shocks(as well as serious summer rubber) but the GT I drove just didn't really excite me. At all.

On a more positive note, the car I am(or much more likely was) considering had an extremely nice cockpit. It had the "Premier" leather trim and overall I like it better than the interiors in the current BMW 3ers or 5ers; I'd even say that it gives Audi a run for its money. The 12 speaker Shaker sound upgrade sounded just OK, but I think some time spent with the tone controls could improve things considerably. The seats are very comfortable well bolstered and have heating and cooling- something you give up if you spring for the $1595 Recaros(paying extra to delete features- how positively Germanic!).
Finally, a few random thoughts... I had read that the clutch was a tad heavy- not so. It felt linear and progressive, only requiring a moderate effort. Steering is decent, not bad but not great. Outward visibility is the best of the three modern Ponycars- which isn't saying much, I realize. The fit and finish was very good to excellent.
The car I looked at is a screaming deal- $6800 off sticker and it's essentially a new car- only with a longer warranty. I just wish I could get more excited about it.

Yes, but it's outside my budget. The GT just barely squeaks by.

Well, that's a shame. I was hoping the new mustang gt convertible could be a cool midlife crisis toy for me and my wife.

Does the stock exhaust sound any good?

It sounds better from the outside than the inside. A few car magazines have noted that the stock exhaust is a bit too subdued and they are correct; it needs a little more of a rumble that you can feel.

I always thought I wanted a Mustang. Then I drove one. Yeah, I agree with assessment #2 - they drive bigger and heavier, and sloppier than they are. I understand some of the recent suspension improvements help handling a lot, but still, just sit in one and they still feel giant, yet aren't...

Those Shelby ones are awesome though, I'd consider buying one of those.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Yes, but it's outside my budget. The GT just barely squeaks by.

See if you can find a deal (like I did). The Charger certainly doesn't feel slow, it is simply hindered by the factory rubber which it constantly wants to obliterate.

That said, the GT shouldn't feel slow with 425HP, I'm wondering if this was a DBW thing?

If you mean the 2015, I don't like the poor outward visibility or the interior. The new 2016 will certainly cost more than my current budget allows.

MCompact,

Was the '15 Mustang you drove still in "Vehicle Transport Mode" by any chance? From what I've heard, power is limited while it's in that mode, and that may have contributed to how slow it felt.

Its a car Ford has to make good not great given its heritage and typical buyer set out there. The majority of buying folks could absolutely care less about how the GT drives except it accelerates well and mostly its v8.

Do the upper models fix the problems you found for you in the GT. I notice a major price jump to next level (pure profit likely) with likely more power but the bits to back it up and potentially transform the car.

Sorry OP, I'm not buying it. Looking at what you and your family own, your subconscious instinct is not inclined to buy American iron. This is hardly an objective review, nice try.

The OP has been shopping American for some time now and has considered the Challenger among others.

Personally, I agree with the review. The Stang just has a bit of that bargain basement feel to it in most guises. We have two in our extended family, one is an automatic GT and one is a V6 convertible.

Frankly my 10+ year old family sedan can run with the GT quite well, and the faster we go the worse it gets for him. My Pilot bud also has a stick GT loaded with everything and he can just barely get a length on me to 100 mph from a standing start. He has the short gearing.

The Mustang remains an amazing buy for the moolah, but it's not quite the best in the world yet. But IMO the new gen is the best looking one ever built. That body could sell me on looks alone!

The thig is, I REALLY want to like the car; the dealership I'm working with is great and it's a very good deal. When I was growing up in the '60s and '70s Dad bought a new '65 with the 260 V8, a new '67(289) and a '70 Grande(351W). I thought it would be fun to finally own a Mustang.

But yes. aother astute participant nailed it; I hate American cars. That's why I've owned a Jeep Wrangler for 13 years(selling an immaculate Nissan Pathfinder in order to get it)- and it also explains why I still get the occasional request to rebuild someone's Q-Jet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back