Need A New Modem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have them change it out and tell them you'll buy one if it fixes the issue; otherwise ask for a technical explanation on how they determined it.

My parents got a giant runaround regarding connectivity until the cable provider ran a new line to their house (above ground which fixed the issue); they came back later and buried it.

Last edited:
Before replacing the modem, consider simple things like faulty ethernet cables, too many splitters degrading line quality, even a bad surge protector (had this happen before causing funky modem resets and drops). Anything outside the house is Comcast's responsibility. Has a tech come over and inspected your lines? Next time you call Comcast, ask them to pull up your modem signal levels to make sure they're within spec.

If you do end up needing a modem, consider the Zoom 5341J. I've had one for 3 yrs now and it's great. It has 8 downstream and upstream channels, which helps avoid slowdowns during peak times like the evening when everyone jumps online. While Motorola also makes great modems, they're less tolerant of slight fluctuations in line quality compared to Zoom modems.

What speed plan are you on?

That's the factor if 8x4 channel bonding is enough

For best performance during network congestion, if it's in your area or speed plan, 16x4 is worth it for the futureproofing

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Before replacing the modem, consider simple things like faulty ethernet cables, too many splitters degrading line quality, even a bad surge protector (had this happen before causing funky modem resets and drops). Anything outside the house is Comcast's responsibility. Has a tech come over and inspected your lines? Next time you call Comcast, ask them to pull up your modem signal levels to make sure they're within spec.

If you do end up needing a modem, consider the Zoom 5341J. I've had one for 3 yrs now and it's great.

This.

Check Ethernet cables and splitters and your surge protector first. Have the cable company check the quality of your cable line running to your house and then from the hookup on your house to your modem.

If everything else checks out, then I also highly suggest the Zoom modem mentioned above. I've had it two years and it has been great. I also installed one for a relative a year ago and they have had no problems. You can get it at Best Buy for $70, sometimes cheaper on Amazon.

go to costco and get the moto modem there. if it breaks down, which happens often with modem at least you can return it with no hassle.

the moto one is $78 at my costco

Did Comcast supply the original modem? I was having issues with my modem and Verizon replaced, and upgraded the modem at no cost. I think I'd have an issue if I called my provider to report a problem and they told me I needed to upgrade at my expense.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

I have the "Economy Plus" package. Not sure what the speed is.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Ah...

You pay for 3/768k for around $35~ a month

Then a 6121 will be fine

I suggest however you hammer on them for a new price on a faster speed, as that speed to price factor is mildly depressing for 2015

Ah...

Then a 6121 will be fine

I suggest however you hammer on them for a new price on a faster speed, as that speed to price factor is mildly depressing for 2015

So no reason to get a Zoom Modem?

Ah...

Then a 6121 will be fine

So no reason to get a Zoom Modem?

If your gonna be sticking with that kinda speed for a while, save the money, the 4x4 of the 6121 will be fine

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
go to costco and get the moto modem there. if it breaks down, which happens often with modem at least you can return it with no hassle.

the moto one is $78 at my costco
Sams also has the 6141 for $80.

Did it fix your "internet connection issues?" If you have a low tier service a new modem was never going to give you faster speeds.

Last edited:
I only had this new modem for a day so I can't say for sure. But Comcast said I needed to upgrade because the old modem wasn't allowing me to get the full internet speed.

The 6121 is the older model I believe.

Arris makes a good product. I have the 6141 and it has been rock solid.

Routers that is another story, I have burned through two routers in two years they both died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back