So what's a better alternative to truecar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not actually looking to buy a vehicle right now, I just want something that would give me a price that I could actually shoot for if I were looking. I saw a thread either on here or another car forum recently where people were saying TC is [censored].

a good set of juevos, and just know that as long as you feel you got a good deal that is all that matters.

edmunds.com gives estimated market prices I believe.
It used to be easier to find it on their website, but now they want to try to steer you into their buying services at every button click, and the site runs very slow too. Still, I think its still in there somewhere.
Between kbb.com, edmunds.com, and truecar.com, average all those and take that number!

A combination of truecar, carsdirect.com and local dealers internet pricing.

Get pricing from truecar and carsdirect, the lower price is your base line.

Email all local dealers(in 1 email) within reasonable driving distance (20-30 miles).

Dealers saw in email other dealers they will try to beat others in price to get your business.

Respond to 2-3 dealers with lowest price demand them to lower their price few hundreds, close the deal with dealer that has good customer service(Yelp ?) and low price.

Get pre-approved loans with local credit union(s), so that you will not be surprise with high interest rate with dealer finance dept.

Why would you bother with trying to find a good price when you're not actually in the market?
Even worse, various dealer internet departments may begin to regard you as a waste of time and effort and may either ignore you or give you insulting offers when you really are in the market.
The gentleman with the ancient Lexus has it right.
When the time comes, decide what you want as well as what you'll settle for and email every dealer that you'd be willing to drive to.
Some will play and give you valid bottom dollar pricing.
This works at least as well as any so-called buying service.
I would advise anyone not to set foot in any dealer showroom without knowing exactly what you'll pay for the car you want.

Nadaguide.com. You could try cargurus.com, they do mention if it's a good deal or not. Not really sure how accurate it is though.

True car is a good starting point, but realize that they're working for the dealers, not you.

I'd go by invoice and holdback percentages, the old fashioned way, crossed by the "what did you pay" type threads on the vehicle specific forums.

Problem is, cars at different dealerships are equipped (options, even just color) differently, so its often hard to pit one dealership against another, because they can always say "Well thats not the same car, as ours has the coveted Dusty Blue color and rear-window defroster" for example. You know, minor differences they can blow out of proportion.
That's what has allowed the popular marketing gimmick phrase "We'll beat any bona fide deal from a competitor." or something like that. Games to frustrate.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I'm not actually looking to buy a vehicle right now, I just want something that would give me a price that I could actually shoot for if I were looking. I saw a thread either on here or another car forum recently where people were saying TC is [censored].

Are you still trying to find an example of those highly depreciated trucks you mentioned in another thread?

Well, no.
Cars today come as packages at the various trim levels and color choice is typically pretty limited.
Any given model is a commodity and the dealers are well aware of this.
Your post demonstrates the reason that you shouldn't talk to or visit dealerships.
Email works great with those dealerships that are willing to play, although not all are.
You shoot out some emails, see what's on offer and go from there.

just use truecar.

Even if it's [censored], you aren't actually buying, and things may change 10% this way or that.

A 10% difference in price shouldn't really affect your planning decision.
If you're that tight on your budget, you shouldn't be buying a car

Originally Posted By: raytseng
just use truecar.

Even if it's [censored], you aren't actually buying, and things may change 10% this way or that.

A 10% difference in price shouldn't really affect your planning decision.
If you're that tight on your budget, you shouldn't be buying a car

If I found out I paid 10% more for the same car than someone else in the same area, it would drive me nuts, just on principle I guess. On a 20k car, that's 2000 dollars, which I would say is very significant.

OP, truecar is OK. Carsdirect is probably a bit better. Good negotiating (by phone or email) should net you better price than either though. A lot of times I'll check fitzmall.com, who lists all their internet prices on their site, and they are priced pretty well and carry most makes (not Honda though), and use that as a starting point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back