Going rate to replace drive belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 drive belts (AC/alternator & PS)in my Accord have been a little squeaky for a while now. I ignored it but after a long hot summer using the A/C, they've gotten more noisy -- to the point of annoyance. They're Gatorback belts with about 7 yrs/100K miles on them. I did the water test and the squeaking goes away once wet. The tension is fine and the pulleys spin run true with no play. The squeaking increases with load, such as A/C and headlights on.

I know swapping the belts is a pretty easy job but I can't do this myself at the moment. What's the going rate for this job so I don't get hosed when going into a shop? I'm guessing 1 hr labor max. I'm considering buying some OEM Bando belts from Rock Auto and bringing them in to avoid the markups shops have on parts.

1 hr labor, so probably $120-$160. Get the dealer belts, not the "OEM" knockoff from Bando.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Book time shows 2.5 hrs.we get $90/hr so $225

Thats it? You guys must be busy, wish I lived closer, would love having an honest indy shop with competent techs for that price.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Thats it? You guys must be busy, wish I lived closer, would love having an honest indy shop with competent techs for that price.

A very rare combination.

On V6, you need to remove the motor mount to swap power steering belt. The AC/Alternator belt changing is 5 minute affair; even *I* was able to remove it and then put it back :)

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Yeah, we had a hook up like that too, but he moved a few miles away so now there's a logistics hassle.

My wife lost the alternator belt on her 2005 Legacy. Our mechanic charged $40 parts and labor as he fixed in his parking lot within 10 minutes with our then 12 month old in back seat. She muscled the car into lot with no PS.

The dealer wanted an appointment and I believe $150 for same thing.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
1 hr labor, so probably $120-$160. Get the dealer belts, not the "OEM" knockoff from Bando.

I did the belt on my sonata a few months ago. I too wanted OEM so I went to the dealer. New belt came in a blue, Hyundai box and had BANDO printed on it the outside.

Bando is great, been using them for a long time. Every belt has been made in the US or Japan (if you're into that sort of info).

Many Hondas, even newer ones, continue to use manually tensioned P/S pumps. That along with having to take off an engine mount as mentioned above takes a bit of time to properly replace. Don't expect a new belt to quiet down your Honda P/S pump though. Could need new o-rings, hoses, or a pump rebuild.

Quote:
quiet down your Honda P/S pump though. Could need new o-rings
++ There is a TSB for pump whining, needs o-ring, a dollar or two fix.

So I called a few shops. Rates went from $110 to as high as $250!

Two shops said they'd only charge 1/2 hr labor since the 4-cyl doesn't require motor mount removal. But they basically made up for this by greatly marking up the belts. When I asked what brand they'd use, they said whatever Autozone or Napa gives them. Soooo, that could range anywhere from in-house brands to Dayco or Gates? Very helpful.

Last edited:
Either do it yourself or stick with a regular mechanic. I personally do not believe in mechanic shopping for the lowest rate. I have seen this at my mechanic where a guy was trying to bargain by claiming how much the other shop had quoted.

Update: A friend of a friend owns a garage and did the job for $45. I used Bando belts off Amazon and everything is nice and quiet now. The old Gatorback belts had fine cracks running through them. They served me well for 100K miles so I have no complaints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back