Avoid Cardone remans at all costs for a PS pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be doing a timing belt/water pump and a "major" maintenance on a friend's 1995 Camry in a few weeks and his PS pump is leaking and spreading fluid all over the place, I was debating whether to rebuild the OEM pump with a Toyota or Gates reseal kit - but my concern is a worn shaft or just to slap in a reman pump. Problem is, almost all the remans are Cardone and given my experiences with their CV shafts and electrical bits, I'm wanting to stray away from option. Are their PS pumps as bad as most things they make?

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
I was doing similar maintenance to my 1998 Subaru and bought a good used pump for $40 to save the labor of re-sealing the original.

That's not a bad idea at all - I can still reseal the pump and do the work at my place and it will be a simple swap when do take the car apart.

Silverado12 - the pump is leaking at the return line fitting. But I can see how a wobbly shaft can affect things, and what if the Cardone pump uses Chinese bearings vs. Timken/NTN/NSK/Koyo?

There's an AC Delco pump($98) on rockauto that's $8 cheaper than the Cardone pump. Reseal kits on there are about $15. There's a send away option where they remanufacture a pump for $70 on rockauto.

Two months ago I was changing the water pump in my 03 CRV and for preventive maintenance only I decided to change my power steering pump. My CRV has 180,000 miles on it so I thought I should change the power steering pump as I'd like to drive the CRV until the wheels fall off. Anyways the remanufactured Cardone power steering pump I put in whined from startup. I thought the whine was temporary so I drove for about 25 miles but the whine stayed. I re-installed the factory original power steering pump with 180,000 miles on it and everything is normal. In my case, Cardone power steering pump=loud whine (waste of my time).

Don't be surprised if ordering a Delco pump gets you a Cardone pump. Delco is becoming notorious for sending you parts from their "approved suppliers" that turn out to be Cardone, Ready Aire, or whoever.

Quote:

Avoid Cardone

Words I live by. I have no direct experience other than never reading anyone's positive experience with their products.

Last edited:
I am going to replace the Belt and pulley's on my car decided to go ahead and order a new water pump and take care of that while I am working that area. Decided to order a Cardone off Rock Auto now I am going to hold off and get a Motorcraft Waterpump as I do not want to do this job twice within the next two years.

remans are hit and miss. On my 86 Monte SS I got two lifetime reman master cylinders that went bad fast before I got one that worked well.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
How is new Cardone waterpump (Aisin made)?

I believe their(Cardone) waterpumps are made in China. Trust me, if Aisin sold replacement power steering pumps, I would buy one.

Originally Posted By: nthach
.......kit - but my concern is a worn shaft or just to slap in a reman pump. Problem is, almost all the remans are Cardone and given my experiences with their CV shafts and electrical bits, I'm wanting to stray away from option. Are their PS pumps as bad as most things they make?

Got one of those VERY CHEAP cardone CV joints a few years back for a '00 Buick Park Avenue and had a mechanic put it on. Wonder about those! Got rid of the car a year or so later anyway.
Is Cardone the lowest of the low in the cheap slave-labor 3rd-world-sourced autoparts universe????

Yeah, avoid Cardone, almost everything they make will only last 1 year.

When I needed a rebuilt P/S pump for a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the dealer's pump cost about the same as a Cardone from Advance auto.

What does your dealer charge you for an OE reman pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back