2015 Yamaha VXR-Maxima PWC, Amsoil, or Other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys. Just did my 10 hour OC on this new ski with the factory Yamaha 4W. I'm new to marine engines, and the fact that this NA ~7600 rpm 20 valve inline 4 has 2 qts. of the 5.5 qt. oil capacity left in the sump each OCI has me wondering if the added expense of a full synthetic may be warranted. I have also read that these engines can suffer from increased fuel contamination in the sump. It's far from cold here in Texas, but cold start frequency may be higher on this engine than on cars/MCs. Factory OCIs are are 50hrs. The Maxima Marine is probably a group II based on the 14.8 NOACK %, and I can get it for $80 shipped per 12L case. Amsoil will cost ~$115. per case after I pay a $20 "preferred customer" fee, then $95 per 12 qt case after. I use either Mobile 1 5w-30 or ST in my other gas engines, but I hear these marine engines have special requirements. Salt water use will probably be minimal, if at all.
http://www.maximausa.com/product/pwc-marine/

Any oil exceeds FC-W. It's nothing to be concerned about.

I'd consider any HDEO. Synthetic or not. Rotella, Delvac, Deli. etc. You can't go wrong.

Plus, it's $12-$14/gallon at Walmart.

Last edited:
Manual recommends 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-40, or 20W50, so Rotella Triple 15W-40 or Rotella T5 15W-40 might be a good economical choice, offering better protection than the Yamalube 4W?

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions, Guys. I'm after better performance than the 4W without spending too much, so the Rotella looks like a good option. I like the idea of a synthetic, but am concerned about the 0w-40 weight of the T6. The T5 15W-40 falls right between the 10w-40 and 20w-40 Yamaha viscosity recommendations. I've been happy with M1 5w-30 in the cars, but with the possibility of increased fuel contamination in a PWC, I've read shear down can be a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back