Grilling: Charcoal or gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks. I have some stuffed chicken breast's in the smoker. I use "cowboy charcoal" and it's lump style charcoal. Which do you folks use for grilling/cooking outdoors? Propane or charcoal?

I'm an instant gratification kind of guy, so I like to turn the gas grill on and than throw the meats on 10 minutes later. Also, charcoal will leave your food tasting terrible if you dont wait long enough.

I have a $700 Webber Genesis gas grill and you couldn't pay me to go back to charcoal.

I have had both. Gas never seems to get hot enough and charcoal is a hassle. I do want to try a new Weber that is charcoal with a propane start. Seems to me the best of both worlds. One downfall of charcoal, I seem to be a bit allergic to it.

We have a gas grill. A weber. Great grill, real hot, very convenient.

But nothing beats the flavor of charcoal and wood. While for something like burgers or even a ribeye we will often take the convenience factor, for stuff like fish, I'll do a combo of charcoal and wood to get a nice smoky flavor. I use tgat in lieu of a smoker because I've just not spent the time, energy and consideration to buy a smoker. Even then I suspect I'd still want to use charcoal for some things.

For your chicken, I think the question becomes if the flavors from charcoal/wood benefit the stuffing any.

"Classic" Weber charcoal fired. We use it year around, including for Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys. Easy to light with a charcoal chimney and two sheets of newspaper.

I used to buy the big double bags of Kingsford at Costco but the "competition" briquets they carry simply don't last as long; now I just stock up from Home Depot or Orchard Supply (now owned by Lowes).
Kevin

Natural gas, a beautiful cast aluminum Charmglow grill from 1968 still running well as used year around, often several times a week. I often add some fresh cut maple -apple-cherry small branches cut to short chunks to get a top notch taste, even better than charcoal.

Over the years I have replaced many parts, but the natural gas never runs out in the middle of cooking! WARNING!! Charmglow no longer makes grills but the name has been sold and some flimsy grills bearing the name are sold......that quickly fall apart.

"Taste the meat, not the heat"

When I'm hungry and decide to make something, I want to eat it now. Not wait 3-4 days for the charcoal to get ready.

Charcoal or wood. Just don't lite it with lighter fluid. I use a propane tank to get the coal started, and the coal gets the wood started. I wouldn't use coal to cook with if I was in a hurry to eat.,,

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I have had both. Gas never seems to get hot enough and charcoal is a hassle. I do want to try a new Weber that is charcoal with a propane start. Seems to me the best of both worlds. One downfall of charcoal, I seem to be a bit allergic to it.

They're not really that new. I've had one for 6 years.

It's been great.

No mess, no lighter fluid, no waiting 3-4 days. Throw a few bricks of charcoal in, turn the propane on, hit the igniter button, let it sit for about 10 minutes, turn off the propane, and it's ready to go.

When you're done, close the lid and shut the vents. This will leave some charcoal for next time that you can add some fresh bricks to.

It is a great combination of convenience and flavor.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Charcoal or wood. Just don't lite it with lighter fluid. I use a propane tank to get the coal started, and the coal gets the wood started.

Oh come on! The lighter fluid is what gives the food the distinctive charcoal taste.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We have a gas grill. A weber. Great grill, real hot, very convenient.

But nothing beats the flavor of charcoal and wood.
While for something like burgers or even a ribeye we will often take the convenience factor, for stuff like fish, I'll do a combo of charcoal and wood to get a nice smoky flavor. I use tgat in lieu of a smoker because I've just not spent the time, energy and consideration to buy a smoker. Even then I suspect I'd still want to use charcoal for some things.

For your chicken, I think the question becomes if the flavors from charcoal/wood benefit the stuffing any.

Convenient: gas grill, great taste: charcoal and wood.

I'm lazy, so gas grill for me. My BIL likes charcoal for better taste.

I think hanging out drinking coldies by the grill waiting for the fire to be ready is part of the fun. If I want convenience I'll either grab carry out or make it in the oven inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back