Road hazard warranty..Is it worth it to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son needed a little help with buying his tires for the 1994 Tacoma. He bought them locally and needed a little help with the road hazard price. After we discussed the hazard, pros and cons, he decided to go without. he saved money and did not need dads help.

Now that got me thinking.......is RH worth the extra $$?

thanks
BD

I say no as I self insure. I think service contracts, warranties, road hazard is how people are parted with their money so companies can make more money.

It depends on whether or not it is pro-rated. I found that the type offered by Discount Tire is generally worth it. A single replaced tire allows you to recoup the cost. It's basically a form of insurance. In an area like mine with constant construction going on I have found it to be worth the extra money.

I've had two tire issues in the last 30 years or so. The tire repair cost was minimal and I'm money ahead by not purchasing road hazard.

I have required flat repair on almost every set of tires ever purchased and have had about six tires replaced over the years. Pop may have a point because I think Discount does flat repairs free. However, I do believe that they currently charge a flat rate, per tire, at installation that includes road hazard.

Like all insurance, it really depends on what issues you end up having.
The chances are on their side that they will end up with the better end of the deal and therefore why they sell it. So looking at it from that perspective, you will probably be just fine.

Originally Posted By: ramammoth
I buy tires from Costco and its included in the tire price. Prices are very competitive and peace of mind.

+1 Costco put new tires on my wife's Mazda 3 and 6 weeks later she got a framing nail in the sidewall. 1 trip to Costco and $16 dollars for a new tire. I will say I have had great experiences at Discount tire, but the ones in my area are so busy it takes a while to get a rotation done.

I bought tires at Pep Boys and their road Hazard was not worth the paper it was written on. I now buy from Americas tire and get their road hazard. I usually end up with a whole set of free replaced tires by the time I wear them out.

Last edited:
A few years back, I bought a set of Michelins at Discount Tire and opted for the road hazard certs. Total cost was over $800. Less than 48 hours later I ran over a big nasty screw. In through the tread, out the sidewall. Tire warranty wasn't in play, but road hazard was.

Like term life insurance, it's money down the drain unless you use it.

I think it may also depend on where you live to some extent. Some parts of the country seem to have more road hazards than other places. Where we currently live you can go years without having any tire issues. Flat are typically fixed for free anyway regardless of road hazard insurance. RHW is not for common easy to repair flat but for tire issues that render the tire unrepairable.

Last edited:
Short answer, no.

Long Answer, Since I've been driving since 1992, I've had exactly four flat tires. All have been repairable, and the most I ever paid for a flat repair was $20, and a couple of them were free at the place I bought the tires.

I look at it this way. If you can't afford to replace the tires when something happens, then road hazard may be the way to go. If you can, skip it, roll the dice, and deal with it when the day comes.

I have had 3 tires ruined (1 on a 2008 Acadia and 2 on my FX4). Was it worth it to have RH warranty? It saved me over $600 for those three tires and since it is only $40 a tire, I would have to say yes, for me it was worth it.

Road hazard warranties have always paid for themselves in my family's case.

The Trailblazer has had 2 sets of tires pro-rated way down for dry cracking (Michelins).

My grandfather's Jeep had 2 sidewall punctures, free replaced.

The FJ Cruiser has had 1 sidewall puncture so far, 1 replaced.

The Beetle had all 4 tires replaced under warranty, 1 because of a puncture, another because it wore weird and they were nice and replaced it. Then I drove and the old tires up front handled awful so they replaced them too.

My dad had like 6 trailer tires replaced one by one from blow outs and flats.

All Discount Tire.

My wife drives on the shoulder (she's afraid of the centerline!) and thus picks up debris and usually has 1-2 flats a year, so, she usually gets a RHW and makes out there. BUT! I thought this was FREE with most new tires sets from Towne Faire Tyre or wherever?
I think she paid $180- from the new car Subarau dealer - for a RHW instead of junk polyglycoat and scotchguard and S/N etch on the widows - or such typical stealership upsell GARBAGE they were pushing (dangling)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My wife drives on the shoulder (she's afraid of the centerline!) and this pick up debris and usually has 1-2 flats a yesr so she usually gets a RHW. I though this was FREE with most new cars.

Most new cars don't cover road hazards. Past experience can be a guide, but not a reliable one. In the past, my tires use to be 70-80 series tires and those rarely had flats. Now with 40-60 series tires, the low sidewall invites flats just from potholes. I buy it when it's available, but the last time I bought tires, they didn't offer it, but I ended up not having to use it. I've had two tires blow out before from the same set so they've more than paid for itself several times over. When buying new cars, sometimes they charge $1000-$1500 to cover the wheels and tires.

My area is bad for punctures for some reason. I just bought a nice plugging kit (safety seal) that I hope I never have to use. I have two plugged tires on my Challenger.

Ahhh, you read the post-haste post B4 it was edited
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back