I ran 20 year old oil in my car...here's the UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Pennzoil different since SOPUS now has them in the Houston area? I see Oil City, PA on the bottle.

Nice collection! Thanks for posting.

Heh, the Havoline looks like a gal or five qt jug!

No, Pennzoil isn't very much different from when they were in Oil City PA. I have a blend of some SAE 30 from 1970 and some QSGB 10w40 in my 97' Jeep with no ill effects to report

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: stchman
To the OP:

What prompted you to run oil that has been sitting around for 20+ years on a shelf in your car?

SH rated oil was late 80s, early 90s.

How clean is it keeping the engine?

API SH does not have the advanced detergents we have today.

Really? Not from UOAs. Can you give some examples of new additives that didnt existed in SH days?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
stchman said:
To the OP:

How clean is it keeping the engine?

API SH does not have the advanced detergents we have today.

I bought this 08' Elantra in August 2012 with 28K on the clock.
Apparently it had been used mostly as a station car (short tripped to and from the train station). It had some varnish on the baffle (it's hard to see anything beyond that) so I added a bottle of AutoRX (because I had it). I ran a few short OCI's of Pennzoil dino and then started running synthetic with this 7700 mile OCI being the longest. The varnish on the baffle is nearly completely gone. I would guess the syn. oil combined with several 5+ hour drives have helped.

My feeling is that this Hyundai Beta engine was designed when these oils (SH, SJ etc...) were prevalent and that many of them have gone 200K+ on such oils so I'm not too worried. This particular engine uses virtually no oil in 6 to 7K which makes it ideal for these older (higher cat killing phosphorus) oils. It seems to like them.
And thanks for testing old oils i your daughtres car.

Maybe that rated SH oil would pass SN specs...? But that modern ZDDP value is too much cohincidence for my taste... blackstone magics?

Last edited:
+1

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think this UOA proves that oil doesn't 'go bad'....it just goes out of spec...

PBM,
Thank you VEREE MUCH you just chilled me out big time (your post that is) I have had some 12 quarts of GC 0W-30 in my basement from 2006-2007 and decided to use it for my current oil change in my 2009 Saab 93 (2.0 Turbo). I was worried that the oil may be too old ie. some properties would be lost, even-though it was kept at steady temp. year log and I shook the bottles well two times over day or two before installing it. Seeing such good results (and TBN too!!) I concluded that oil when kept at steady temp does not loose any of its properties.
Once again Thank you!
I am about 3,000km intomy 7-8,000km OCI and will post my OCI results for 9-10 year old GC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
But, but, but! An SH oil should have Zn and P through the roof, right?
wink.gif

And all the old 5W30s sheared to 5W20...

Nice! I have Havoline SH and Motorcraft SH oils enough for three oil changes in my Honda which burns no oil. I have been debating on whether I should use them. This gives me confidence to run for 6 months change intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back