My (new to me) 1998 Nissan Altima with 333k

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new to me used Nissan Altima with 333k miles, 2.4L 4 cyl with 5 speed MT...$800. Runs good has 3 engine codes, but runs fine.

Owner said the engine has somewhat less miles on it cuz the other owner ran the oil dry and it was replaced with a used engine. The clutch was replaced at some point too. Radiator is brand new, but they used conventional green mixed with who knows what needs a flush.

Heat, AC, Power Windows, Sunroof, Aftermarket CD Player, all work fine, the power locks don't though.

Battery is an Autocraft Silver from 2010 date code, it was so dead that my Noco Genius Boost wouldn't recognize it but after leaving it on for a few minutes it jump started up just fine....Battery is charging right now on 10 amps on my pro logix charger.

The transmission is a bit notchy, will probably give it a new fluid soon.

Not really sure about the fluids, might use Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 or Mobil 1 0w40.

2hqxy7s.jpg

t7xv06.jpg

11qnx1c.jpg

35aq3ap.jpg

264n7nd.jpg

6z8xoi.jpg

wtt4j5.jpg

Looks like a decent little car. Look at the steering and suspension to make sure it's alright, all those miles and some things might be really worn and unsafe.

Seems fine from my initial 20 mile drive and looking visually, hoping it lasts for awhile without putting much money into it.

I do have a few small things i want to fix but nothing major,

I might get some Gumout all in one. I also wanted to replace the fuel filter it's in the engine bay and looks rough.

Also looking at getting some new headlight bulbs.

Take it to one of the local parts stores and get the engine codes read ( write them down ) & cleared .

Work on those , in addition to changing the fluids .

Manual transmission ?

God bless
Wyr

Last edited:
Looks and sounds like a good score! It is very hard in our area to get a running vehicle below $1000 dollars. Does it have a timing belt or chain?

Look closely at suspension mounts, underbody, etc.-that's a lot of miles & years for our area not to have rust issues, but if not, that's a SCORE for $800! Low scrap prices are making good cheap cars available again, something that light at only $100/ton=resale as opposed to scrapping it.

I had this same car. Yes, fuel filter is easy to change. Which is nice.

These KA24DE engines make decent power. I loved mine. I had the rotor button spin on the dizzy shaft, which caused a cross-fire and blew the head gasket. I got a new engine for $800.

I loved my old Altima. I really just loved that engine.

Used cars with 300k miles will be an adventure, likely anyway. At least you put almost no money in the purchase. Not bad! A job for an HM oil if there ever was one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back